News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 396     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Yup, substantial parts of Ottawa's Transitway over the next decade or so will be upgraded to LRT. It was partially designed for LRT in that it has grade separations in key places, but for stations outside of the downtown (Blair, Cyrville, St. Laurent, Train, Hurdman, Lees, uOttawa, Bayview, LeBreton) they're being more or less completely rebuilt in order to support LRT, although the degree of reconstruction varies depending on the station.

And many of the stations downtown are being completely replaced by the tunnel anyway.
Ottawa's Transitway serves as a baseline route for the replacement LRT, but it's largely no different from fresh construction from scratch.

So what about the neighbourhood at Shaft 1 (Mount Dennis)? What makes the neighbourhood at Allen so special?
The portal east of Mount Dennis is in a city park. The portal at Allan is in a residential neighbourhood.

I don't see what it matters though. They won't build the connection underground between the two Allen shafts until after tunnelling is completed, so any soil coming out of the run between the Allan and Yonge will have to come out at Allan.

IIRC the volume of dump trucks at the extraction/reentry site at Allen Road was one of the reasons that the Project debated closing the Allen south of Lawrence until the excavation to Yonge was finished. In the end they decided to leave it open. But it was apparent that hauling dirt out of the Allen site was the plan.

At least this way, tracklaying and station construction can proceed on the western leg.

- Paul

And many of the stations downtown are being completely replaced by the tunnel anyway.
Ottawa's Transitway serves as a baseline route for the replacement LRT, but it's largely no different from fresh construction from scratch.

The Transitway stations in downtown Ottawa are the least "stationey" of any stations on the system. They're just elongated glorified bus shelters. The stations on the dedicated ROW portions of the Transitway (Scott St trench and from Lees to Blair) are much more elaborate. The stations themselves are being replaced, but the trenches and the over/underpasses that the Transitway uses are being retained. Even the Transitway bridge over the Rideau River is being used for LRT. It's far from from scratch.

The ESSO Station at Dufferin and Eglinton has been boarded up.
Future home of the LRT station.

Dufferin & Eglinton in the 1950's:
s0065_fl0148_it0079.jpg

Dufferin & Eglinton in 2010:
Screen%u00252Bshot%u00252B2011-11-29%u00252Bat%u00252B10.00.10%u00252BAM.png
`

Link to this Crosstown website for more information on the future Dufferin station.
Picture2web.jpg

Attachments

• s0065_fl0148_it0079.jpg
    s0065_fl0148_it0079.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 973
  • Screen%u00252Bshot%u00252B2011-11-29%u00252Bat%u00252B10.00.10%u00252BAM.png
    Screen%u00252Bshot%u00252B2011-11-29%u00252Bat%u00252B10.00.10%u00252BAM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,028
  • Picture2web.jpg
    Picture2web.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,005
The Crosstown website states that construction of Dufferin Station is currently scheduled to start in 2014. But I was under the impression construction of the stations was to begin for all the stations at the same time once tunnelling is complete, Its the end of 2014 almost so I don't see any station construction

Its the end of 2014 almost so I don't see any station construction
Nor will you anytime soon. They issued the RFP in December 2013, and have yet to announce the winning bidder, let alone award the contract, or let the winning contractor develop the construction timetable.

I have to wonder what now is holding things up, given the excuse of the provincial election has long since passed.

Nor will you anytime soon. They issued the RFP in December 2013, and have yet to announce the winning bidder, let alone award the contract, or let the winning contractor develop the construction timetable.

I have to wonder what now is holding things up, given the excuse of the provincial election has long since passed.

The bidders were given 12 months to review the RFP, develop preliminary designs, and create a schedule and cost they were comfortable with. The bidders should be wrapping up their proposals right about now, and then the Province will start reviewing them.

So I assume Shoppers Drug Mart will also be goingsince there is a station entrance planned for the north west corner.

So I assume Shoppers Drug Mart will also be goingsince there is a station entrance planned for the north west corner.

No, you can still see Shoppers is standing in the image posted above. The secondary entrance is being built where the right turn lane and traffic island currently stands. Note the north arrow shows the image is facing South.

Back