News   Jul 12, 2024
 790     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 713     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 304     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

by the sounds of 6 minute frequencies they are starting with 3 car trains.

Sheppard and finch are designed to be 2 car trains but in the sake of frequency they may start with 1 car. they should be fairly simply to expand to 3 car if ever needed, especially Sheppard. (well, depending on how they design the interchange with the scarborough subway)

Scarborough was going to be 3 cars. (and it would be needed off of day one)

I'm sorry, my understanding was that they would be instituting another short turn at Downsview? (soon to be Sheppard West)

The TTC will be building a pocket track just north of Wilson Station. This is where the trains will turn back at, but that's also quite a few years down the road. The current morning short turn was supposed to be extended to Glencairn in 2012, but that was dependant on having more trains available - I don't know what the hold up is currently.

what do you mean by finch west turnback in the afternoon? as in all trains will run to finch west in the afternoon but in the morning they will only run to Glencairn? Or 1/2 will turn back at Glencairn and another 1/2 at Finch West?

As part of the Spadina Extension, a pocket track is getting built north of Finch West Station. This will allow them to short turn half of the trains in the rush hour.

One idea that is going around is that half of the trains in the afternoon rush hour will be turned at this pocket track, rather than going all the way to the end of the line.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I know the Glencairn move is happening next year.

I'm still confused. So will the short turn move from Glencairn to Wilson, then a few years later up to Finch west? Or will there be turn backs at both Wilson and Finch West?

The TTC will be building a pocket track just north of Wilson Station. This is where the trains will turn back at, but that's also quite a few years down the road. The current morning short turn was supposed to be extended to Glencairn in 2012, but that was dependant on having more trains available - I don't know what the hold up is currently.

As part of the Spadina Extension, a pocket track is getting built north of Finch West Station. This will allow them to short turn half of the trains in the rush hour.

One idea that is going around is that half of the trains in the afternoon rush hour will be turned at this pocket track, rather than going all the way to the end of the line.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The holdup is the TTC budget. Remember the 10% cuts when Rob Ford came into office? There were service cuts made on the TTC. To "save" "gravy", there was a delay in moving the short turn to Glencairn, even though they had the trains. Moving the short turn would have meant more drivers and conductors on the line, and we can't have that if we want to save money.

Dennis saw Lea slacking and thought that he could start slacking too. And now Lea has caught up because of it. These TBMs are pathetic. Why can't they be more like Yorkie and Torkie. Theyre always working hard. Sigh...

I'm still confused. So will the short turn move from Glencairn to Wilson, then a few years later up to Finch west? Or will there be turn backs at both Wilson and Finch West?

I'll try and spell this out as simply as I can.

Morning rush hour, current: short turns at St Clair West.
Morning rush hour, near future: short turns at Glencairn.
Morning rush hour, longer term: short turns at Wilson.
Morning rush hour, longer term still: short turns at Finch West.

Afternoon rush hour, current: no short turns scheduled.
Afternoon rush hour, when the extension opens: still in discussions. May operate all trains north to Vaughan, may have short turns at Finch West.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Its not a good thing that they catch up, they can only be extracted one at a time at the Allen. They may race to Eglinton, but Lea will sit idle waiting for Dennis to be extracted in front of it.

Its not a good thing that they catch up, they can only be extracted one at a time at the Allen. They may race to Eglinton, but Lea will sit idle waiting for Dennis to be extracted in front of it.

That's a very good point. Ideally, I would think what they would like to have happen is that Dennis would be extracted and re-launched just before Lea arrives. That way, the launch site is continually active, but nothing is overlapping or "on hold".

Back