News   Jul 12, 2024
 736     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 673     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 297     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

"The underground portion of the Crosstown will be 10 kilometres long, while the other nine kilometres will run at ground level or on an elevated track."

This is giving a false impression. The "elevated track" will be a couple of hundred metres needed to get the train from underground into the side of the rise of the Kodak Lands, over Black Creek Drive. This is also known as a bridge.

"The underground portion of the Crosstown will be 10 kilometres long, while the other nine kilometres will run at ground level or on an elevated track."

This is giving a false impression. The "elevated track" will be a couple of hundred metres needed to get the train from underground into the side of the rise of the Kodak Lands, over Black Creek Drive. This is also known as a bridge.
lol

Old real estate trick. Metrolinx makes an offer based on appraised market value. Landowner tries to drive the price up by putting it on the market and asking for double what its worth. Some sucker buys it thinking Metrolinx will have to pay top dollar. Metrolinx expropriates it for original appraised price.

Government that consistently pays way over top dollar for everything and anything including salaries and consultants, etc.. People know if they do work for the government they over estimate all costs and they pay it. Look at all the corruption with this Liberal government. I think whoever bought that piece of property and at whatever price, Metrolinz would have a hard time just paying the appraised value instead of what they buyer bought it for.

Its amazing, Metrolinx buckles over and builds all these extra stations that should not be being built all because a handful of people in those communities show up and then they will not pay whoever bought the property the costs he paid plus expenses/

Is that actually moving forward? I thought they had basically just decided to sell the fill or dump it up in Stouffville or something like where most condo fill goes now.

I feel like we should use this dirt for something...

The Toronto Islands should get the dirt first to reverse the erosion from the lake sand being diverted to the Leslie Spit.

On another point, instead of calling the Eglinton Crosstown LRT "underground" portion as the "tunnels", we should call it what is really is. An "underground electric railroad" or a "subway".

no one wants to believe this but when they originally were talking about closing the Allen north bound during construction they were also talking about the possibility of filling in the Allen with the extra dirt up until Lawrence. Two councillors said this at LRT meetings to the public which i would consider off the record.

Screw the residents of Aerodrome Crescent. Had they and their neighbours not put up such a big fight over the Leslie St. stop, we might still have a more logical turn-back point at Don Mills and a launch site in the overflow lot at the Science Centre.

Nice comment Sean - NOT. It does demonstrate two things though: First, that you couldn't care less about the Leaside residents and second that you are completely ignorant of the issues surrounding the cancelling of the proposed move of the eastern portal to Don Mills.

It was not Leaside residents (including those on Aerodrome) who opposed having the tunnel go to Don Mills. It was the residents of condos on Leslie north of Eglinton who fought for their Leslie stop and thus opposed the tunnel to Don Mills. They were supported (understandably) by their councillor Jaye Robinson who incidentally represents the Leslie condos but does NOT represent any part of Leaside.

Where things got weird in my opinion was that the LPOA (Leaside Property Owners Association) also supported the Leslie condo owners despite having no mandate to do so. Perhaps former neighbours/friends live there; I don't know and have been unsuccessful in getting the LPOA to explain why they gave their support. Perhaps Sean you can get an answer from the LPOA as to why they did this. Unfortunately the Star picked up on this and without researching the issue blasted headlines that LEASIDE FOUGHT FOR AND KEPT THE LESLIE STOP. This was wrong. No Leaside residents will ever use the Leslie stop and could not care less if it was built. They would have preferred having the launch site at the Science Centre or at least have a south-side alignment so it doesn't mess-up the Leslie-Eglinton intersection but alas it looks like it's not to be. At least Leasiders who will use Laird Station (as well as Bayview) will have full headways before half the trains short-turn east of Laird. And by the way, by Leasiders, I include those on Aerodrome who while they may be geographically closer to Leslie will no doubt use Laird. They won't have to walk down into/up out of the valley to an outdoor stop at Leslie and they can walk two level blocks to an underground (weather-protected) station with twice the frequency at Laird. Also, there is the South Leaside bus which goes right along Vanderhoof and I'm sure will be slightly altered to deliver Aerodrome residents directly to Laird Station.

Finally; the majority of my above points have been posted ad nauseum in this thread in months/years past and if you care to look at them Sean, they may enlighten you a bit.

Thank you.

Nice comment Sean - NOT. It does demonstrate two things though: First, that you couldn't care less about the Leaside residents and second that you are completely ignorant of the issues surrounding the cancelling of the proposed move of the eastern portal to Don Mills.

It was not Leaside residents (including those on Aerodrome) who opposed having the tunnel go to Don Mills. It was the residents of condos on Leslie north of Eglinton who fought for their Leslie stop and thus opposed the tunnel to Don Mills. They were supported (understandably) by their councillor Jaye Robinson who incidentally represents the Leslie condos but does NOT represent any part of Leaside.

Where things got weird in my opinion was that the LPOA (Leaside Property Owners Association) also supported the Leslie condo owners despite having no mandate to do so. Perhaps former neighbours/friends live there; I don't know and have been unsuccessful in getting the LPOA to explain why they gave their support. Perhaps Sean you can get an answer from the LPOA as to why they did this. Unfortunately the Star picked up on this and without researching the issue blasted headlines that LEASIDE FOUGHT FOR AND KEPT THE LESLIE STOP. This was wrong. No Leaside residents will ever use the Leslie stop and could not care less if it was built. They would have preferred having the launch site at the Science Centre or at least have a south-side alignment so it doesn't mess-up the Leslie-Eglinton intersection but alas it looks like it's not to be. At least Leasiders who will use Laird Station (as well as Bayview) will have full headways before half the trains short-turn east of Laird. And by the way, by Leasiders, I include those on Aerodrome who while they may be geographically closer to Leslie will no doubt use Laird. They won't have to walk down into/up out of the valley to an outdoor stop at Leslie and they can walk two level blocks to an underground (weather-protected) station with twice the frequency at Laird. Also, there is the South Leaside bus which goes right along Vanderhoof and I'm sure will be slightly altered to deliver Aerodrome residents directly to Laird Station.

Finally; the majority of my above points have been posted ad nauseum in this thread in months/years past and if you care to look at them Sean, they may enlighten you a bit.

Thank you.

There are NIMBYs both for and against having a transit stop in any neighbourhood. There is no Willowdale Station on the Sheppard Subway because of community opposition before construction started. However, they could put in a station at Willowdale if there is demand for it. Unlikely at the moment. Provision could have been done at Leslie, but they wanted a transit stop now and not later.

Thank you.

Someone told me that when they were thinking of extending the tunnel to Don Mills the station at Laird might have moved east so that it was halfway between Laird and Brentcliffe. That would served the people on Aerodrome much better. On the other hand people west of Laird would have been slightly less well served.

Provision could have been done at Leslie, but they wanted a transit stop now and not later.

Well as to Leslie (Sheppard Line), with better service & fare integration and a slight shift to the north of Oriole Go station, that could become more useful as a station interchange. Dare I say, even a minor hub? Like Mount Dennis/Weston or Caledonia on the crosstown. I wonder if that was thought of for the medium term.

I'm glad they hung on to the Leslie (Eglinton) stop, though a south side of road alignment could have worked a little better.

Last edited:

Back