News   Aug 15, 2024
 234     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 410     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 603     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

JA: The bottom picture was taken in Queens,NY and the vent box being pointed at is designed to not allow people to lay on them noting
the notches and waves used on its design...LI MIKE

This design would discourage (not eliminate) people sleeping on transformer grates, steam grates, and others, not just public transit ventilation grates.

20111024_mta-flood-mitigation-016-500x375.jpg

People would still be able to sit on it, and are (maybe) higher than most flooding that could occur (IE. water main breaks, flash flood thunderstorms).

Attachments

• 20111024_mta-flood-mitigation-016-500x375.jpg
    20111024_mta-flood-mitigation-016-500x375.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 536
People would still be able to sit on it, and are (maybe) higher than most flooding that could occur (IE. water main breaks, flash flood thunderstorms).

In NY the goal was to make the vents higher than a storm surge. The height and design of the vents changes depending on the landscape topology at the vent. The idea being that with the station doors closed, the pumps can handle it and the line won't be shut down for weeks after the event for repairs.

It's pretty rare that the Toronto subway floods through a vent at a rate which the pumps are unable to handle. I think the additional walking space is probably more important in most locations; so I would still opt for flush with the ground.

Last edited:
In NY the goal was to make the vents higher than a storm surge. The height and design of the vents changes depending on the landscape topology at the vent. The idea being that with the station doors closed, the pumps can handle it and the line won't be shut down for weeks after the event for repairs.

It's pretty rare that the Toronto subway floods through a vent at a rate which the pumps are unable to handle. I think the additional walking space is probably more important in most locations; so I would still opt for flush with the ground.

The general trend in subsurface transit fire vent design is to have a significant structure above ground. There are a number of reasons for this including security and flood protection, but most importantly because the vents are effectively chimneys that need to suck a massive amount of smoke out of the tunnel if there is a fire. If this happens with sidewalk vents the whole street will become choked with smoke. An above-ground structure will allow fire fighters at access the tunnels and passengers to get out easier. The vents in the sidewalk are generally just for air pressure relief.

WRT flooding, I think it would be site-specific - i.e. if the site is at a low point of land, maybe it's a concern, but not on a slope, like at King Edward Station. But most Canada Line Stations have their vents in the sidewalk.

There's a series of vents like that outside the project called The Rise on Cambie in Vancouver - but much more jagged:
http://c767204.r4.cf2.rackcdn.com/d99d480c-bd47-4684-a3ee-928001ecc407.jpg

Last edited:
There are some parts of the New York City subway that are below sea level.

Given Toronto's topography, having raised vents would not be that necessary, although good to have.

Take a look at some of the new 2nd Avenue Subway vent structures. Flooding is not the issue. Smoke dispersal is.

I agree with Johnny.

Building these vents with flooding in mind seems like a little much. There are few parts of our city in danger of flooding.

What would be the chances that the Yonge-Bloor station would be by-passed/shutdown due to flooding caused by a water-main break? See link.

Flooding should be considered anywhere on the Eglinton-Crosstown, JUST IN CASE. Call it "insurance".

The following items were brought up in this thread several times. Here's what Steve Munro has to say.

Q: With regards to the original Scarborough-Malvern LRT route from Transit City, is there a reason why it wasn’t an eastern extension of the Eglinton LRT? I kind of like the idea of the LRT running the whole width of Eglinton, maybe even into Mississauga in the very long term.

Steve: Because the Scarborough-Malvern line has lower projected demand, it was considered as a second-phase project. Now, thanks to Metrolinx, it has fallen off the table completely and is not part of even their “Next Wave”. If Toronto does extend the Danforth subway east to McCowan, this will probably kill off hopes for an Eglinton East LRT, at least as a through route, as it might be considered to be a duplication. Meanwhile, the “Morningside Hook” from Sheppard down to UTSC also sits on the back burner. It was on the verge of formally becoming part of the Metrolinx plan, but then Rob Ford was elected and everything stopped.

Q: For the future west extension, do you prefer it running in the centre of the street like it will in the east or along the Richview corridor in a trench or something of that nature?

Steve: The Richview corridor is no longer available as a continuous path west of Jane because the City has declared parts of it surplus and sold the lands for redevelopment.

I know that some of the traffic engineers just love the idea of a trench because it puts the LRT out of the way. However, this would require considerably more land (compare to the width of the subway right-of-way north of Rosedale) because there is a limit on the slope of a hill. Alternately, the line could run in an open concrete box taking less space, but also a lot less attractive. Grade separating it in this way would trigger accessibility issues at stations and add to their cost.

It has always been amusing to hear two conflicting arguments that run roughly like this:

A surface LRT will interfere with other traffic and make intersection operations difficult especially with a “side of the road” alignment.
The demand west of Jane is insufficient to justify an LRT and therefore we should just run buses.
These are arguments of convenience trotted out depending on the position the speaker is advocating. An alternative viewpoint is that the corridor will grow eventually, and a rail link (and not UPX) to the airport employment area, not just to the air terminal, would be a major improvement for access from the east. We keep talking about the importance of the airport as a major transportation node, but other than a few showcase projects, we don’t actually do much to serve it or its considerable employment district.

This is from the comments section of his latest article.

What would be the chances that the Yonge-Bloor station would be by-passed/shutdown due to flooding caused by a water-main break? See link.

Flooding should be considered anywhere on the Eglinton-Crosstown, JUST IN CASE. Call it "insurance".

What in the holy name of hell does a water main break - that is located entirely within the structure of a station, by the way - have anything to do with preventing flooding at a station?

Should we be doing our best to prevent flooding at elevated stations as well? Because that's the parallel that you're trying to make here.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back