News   Jul 12, 2024
 759     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 692     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I don't agree with the 34 Eglinton running parallel to the LRT. If they do, they should run a bus parallel to the Bloor-Danforth subway as well.

While I would tend to agree with you on this point, I think Eglinton has its merits. The street for one has many dips and rises, to a far greater extent than Bloor I believe and given the wider stop spacing this may pose an inconvenience to those with mobility issues if they have to go up or down a steep grade.

However, I would prefer not to see a bus route because it may fuel the fires of some LRT haters and make them believe that the LRT couldn't do the job by itself. This would only increase the inferiority of the LRT in their eyes.

Aside from that, the fact they they are really making this connection point between a bunch of different bus routes which terminate close by is really encouraging, this is the type of integrated route planning I expect to see throughout the line and on all future transit expansion projects.

end the 34 bus at Laird, run it only above the underground portion. the surface portion has tighter stop spacing anyways, it isn't really needed.

Really I see getting rid of 34 west of Kennedy and have 56 follow its existing route. Terminate 51 at Laird via on street loop, terminate 54 and 100 at Don Mills, replace 103 with an extended 74.

Excluding the current political transit Sargasso Sea the city seems to be moored in, what is the likelihood of some future fed/prov/city approval for burying or grade separating the Cross tow west from Mount Dennis and east from Laird? I know we've discussed the western Richview Corridor option as a possibility, but it would ensure faster trips to and from the airport or the Dixon area. In the east, the line could make its way through the Golden mile area and then, after Kennedy, burrow through the denser Scarborough areas to at least Morningside & Lawrence. A pretty substantial terminal could be built there serving that part of Scarborough. If ca$h and will power persists, it would be cool to see the line extended east along Kingston Road to Pickering Town Centre. if I recall correctly, there was a proposal decades ago to extend the BD line to Pickering Town Centre as well as to Sherway Gardens and eventually Square One in the West). That would been a truly expansive system, but with electrified GO on the horizon I don;t know how realistic this dream would be.

In the east, the line could make its way through the Golden mile area and then, after Kennedy, burrow through the denser Scarborough areas to at least Morningside & Lawrence. A pretty substantial terminal could be built there serving that part of Scarborough. If ca$h and will power persists, it would be cool to see the line extended east along Kingston Road to Pickering Town Centre.

IMO, after Lawrence it would be better to continue up Morningside and terminate the route at Sheppard, for a better connectivity within Scarborough, and to link Kingston Rd LRT to the Conlins yard.

Pickering Town Centre will be connected to UTSC and Scarborough Centre by the Kingston Rd - Ellesmere BRT, and this is the preferred route for a Durham-originated service since Scarborough Centre is a larger node than Kennedy.

Really I see getting rid of 34 west of Kennedy and have 56 follow its existing route. Terminate 51 at Laird via on street loop, terminate 54 and 100 at Don Mills, replace 103 with an extended 74.
There still needs to be a bus serving Holland Bloorview, Toronto Rehab, and CAMH, as well as a bus entering Sunnybrook from the east.

There will be 90 second service on the grade seperated portion to deal with the much heavier demand, and every 3 minutes on the surface portion. ... Metrolinx will also be Running 3 car trains on this line, even on the surface portions, so that should help with capacity as well. (compared to 2 car trains on Sheppard and Finch).

Does that 90-second frequency plan exist in writing, or is it just a potential future option?

I imagine that 90-sec frequency will require ATO. It may not be that hard to install, but making changes immediately after the line opens would be odd. So, either they need ATO from the onset, or they will wait a while after the line opens.

Furthermore, 90-sec frequency (40 trains per hour) with 3-car trains will result in a huge capacity of 20,000 ppdph. All published demand forecasts for Eglinton were well below that number, and that implies that 90-sec frequency will not be needed in the near future.

I imagine that 90-sec frequency will require ATO. It may not be that hard to install, but making changes immediately after the line opens would be odd. So, either they need ATO from the onset, or they will wait a while after the line opens.

To my knowledge the plan was to have the ATO system installed at launch but that the frequencies would reflect demand, with the potential to be increased to service for the future required demand.

you may be correct. I just know the line will be capable of 90 seconds on opening day.

It would make far more sense to make Eglinton fully grade separated and the outer portions elevated. Is there any LRT line in the world which runs with this sort of headway and capacity on part of the line? The Eglinton LRT will almost certainly be the busiest LRT line in the world if these sorts of headways are put into effect. Just like 401 which this line is supposed to relieve is the busiest highway in the world.

Phase one of the Crosstown is to be from Mt. Dennis Station to Kennedy Station. Phase two will extend it westerly to the YYZ airport.

Other line rail systems across the world (IE. Boston, San Francisco) make use of branches outside of the center of their cities. We could AF (after Ford) build a northeast branch of the Crosstown going north up Don Mills Road to Steeles Avenue East, and a northwest branch going north up Jane Street to Steeles Avenue West (or Pioneer Village Station), as phases three and/or four.

That would leave the DRL to serve areas south of Eglinton to the downtown, if the DRL study finds for using heavy rail.

There still needs to be a bus serving Holland Bloorview, Toronto Rehab, and CAMH, as well as a bus entering Sunnybrook from the east.

Amen. Getting to Sunnybrook from Coxwell Stn requires 1 subway and a minimum of 2 buses... it's 3 when the dreaded 56B is in play. I can literally run to Sunnybrook faster than take the TTC.

Last edited:
Phase one of the Crosstown is to be from Mt. Dennis Station to Kennedy Station. Phase two will extend it westerly to the YYZ airport.

Other line rail systems across the world (IE. Boston, San Francisco) make use of branches outside of the center of their cities. We could AF (after Ford) build a northeast branch of the Crosstown going north up Don Mills Road to Steeles Avenue East, and a northwest branch going north up Jane Street to Steeles Avenue West (or Pioneer Village Station), as phases three and/or four.

That would leave the DRL to serve areas south of Eglinton to the downtown, if the DRL study finds for using heavy rail.

If we intend to do that, we would really be cursing the idiots who decided not to run the Eglinton line grade-separated through Leslie to Don Mills.

Back