News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

It's by no means the best plan, but it's a start and at least councillors are listening and trying to provide the best bang for the buck. If the Finch BRT mirrors VIVA's BRT on Highway 7 with easy conversion to LRT then that should be taken as a sign of progress as it kinds of irks me that councillor Augmeri is going with this "go big or go home" mentality (saying LRT or nothing) - BRT would be an improvement on the current service on Finch.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but I do hope this happens.

wish we could have double decker busses instead or artics as a way to handle the additional capacity... lower the road under bridges please to get them to fit.

This is a pretty narrow minded point of view.

The Consumers Road block businesses employ over 20,000 people. That's not including the new residential that's being build or anybody to the north of Sheppard of east of Vic Park. It's probably be the best value and usage for a minor extension in the city.

I used to work in that block and commuted from High Park via all 3 subway lines and a bus, I ended up calculating that I wasted anywhere between 40 minutes to an hour a day waiting for that bus to take me from Fairview Mall to work and back a day. With a Subway extension it would be a 5 minute walk. Time is money.

What a load of crap. The purple line will not get more full by extending it by two stops.

I don't quite see the purpose of extending the Sheppard Subway if there is going to be a parallel busway 2km north running a longer distance.

In any case, it would be best to investigate all types of BRT from signal priority only to queue jump lanes to full busway. My preference would be for a curbside bus/right turn lane with dedicated right turn lanes for general traffic at major intersections.
They can run the Finch East BRT to the new Victoria Park North station, since the majority of the ridership should be from east of Victoria Park Av. Seneca could be served by a shuttle from Don Mills or a diversion of the Don Mills bus into Seneca. With that, they don't even have to touch the 404/Finch bridge.

I just think if we are going to extend it east we should West as well...

Scope creep. It kills projects. The Stintz proposal is a reasonable compromise across all the corridors. If you wanna go west on Sheppard, some other corridor will lose out.

wish we could have double decker busses instead or artics as a way to handle the additional capacity... lower the road under bridges please to get them to fit.

I think the TTC is planning on buying arctics for their next order - I read it somewhere on Steve Munro's blog.

Or maybe smallspy can shed some light on this as well..

They can run the Finch East BRT to the new Victoria Park North station, since the majority of the ridership should be from east of Victoria Park Av. Seneca could be served by a shuttle from Don Mills or a diversion of the Don Mills bus into Seneca. With that, they don't even have to touch the 404/Finch bridge.

Exactly. That 2-stop extension will achieve some amazing operational effects on the network.

The main debate though is whether Rob Ford is willing to compromise on Eglinton to get something on Sheppard. I don't think he'd mind the bus lanes on Finch because it's just not that much of an impact visually. A few more buses. No streetcars frustrating drivers. But compromising on Eglinton might be difficult.

$1-billion for a 2-km Sheppard extension is reasonable? The entire 12-km Sheppard East LRT project didn't cost much more than that.

It came pretty close to a billion bucks. And was still truncated to Morningside. God only knows what would have happened once they started laying track. Not to mention the addition of stops slowed the line down before the first shovel too.

Let's face it, fanatics like yourself will not be happy with anything but a full restoration of Transit City. You will never see a subway you like unless it achieves Tokyo like ridership. You're as bad as Rob Ford with his insistence on underground everything. Just with a different opinion.

Personally, I think Stintz is finally starting to offer porridge that's just right. This plan preserves the option to build on Sheppard as the northern crosstown. It may take 50 years but it will happen. And then people will wonder how they lived without it. The plan does what's adequate for Finch. Nobody was ever going to ride that LRT across half the city anyway. And the mere fact that the Sheppard subway starts at Vic Park and avoids the 404 bottle neck may well knock 10 mins off the Sheppard and Finch bus rides. And for the LRT fans, Eglinton goes back to what it used to be.

Out of curiosity, you once said, you would support an extention to Vic Park. Why the opposition now?

It came pretty close to a billion bucks. And was still truncated to Morningside. God only knows what would have happened once they started laying track. Not to mention the addition of stops slowed the line down before the first shovel too.

Let's face it, fanatics like yourself will not be happy with anything but a full restoration of Transit City. You will never see a subway you like unless it achieves Tokyo like ridership. You're as bad as Rob Ford with his insistence on underground everything. Just with a different opinion.

Personally, I think Stintz is finally starting to offer porridge that's just right. This plan preserves the option to build on Sheppard as the northern crosstown. It may take 50 years but it will happen. And then people will wonder how they lived without it. The plan does what's adequate for Finch. Nobody was ever going to ride that LRT across half the city anyway. And the mere fact that the Sheppard subway starts at Vic Park and avoids the 404 bottle neck may well knock 10 mins off the Sheppard and Finch bus rides. And for the LRT fans, Eglinton goes back to what it used to be.

Out of curiosity, you once said, you would support an extention to Vic Park. Why the opposition now?

Wont a above ground LRT on eglinton crossing the DVP cause a similar bottleneck... Shouldnt the LRT on eglinton dip underneith at this intersection as well...

Wont a above ground LRT on eglinton crossing the DVP cause a similar bottleneck... Shouldnt the LRT on eglinton dip underneith at this intersection as well...

How so? Why would an LRT on Eglinton across the DVP cause a similar bottleneck? The bottleneck on Sheppard is kinda unique. It happens because of the width of the bridge, because the subway terminus is right there and because a busy attraction (Fairvew Mall) is there too. Eglinton Ave East across the DVP does not face a similar situation.

It came pretty close to a billion bucks.
$1.1 billion was the budget Metrolinx amount, shortly before cancellation - that includes the Agincourt grade separation, currently under construction.

Let's face it, fanatics like yourself will not be happy with anything but a full restoration of Transit City.
Fanatics? Questioning why it's okay to convert subway to surface LRT on a piece of Eglinton East with 10,000 riders per hour is reasonable, but asking the same question of a piece of Sheppard with about 5,000 riders per hour is fanatical?

You will never see a subway you like unless it achieves Tokyo like ridership.
Surely you mean Tokyo-like ridership not Tokyo like ridership. Is hyphenation that difficult?

$1 billion ... I assumed it could be done for $500 to $600 million. If that's the price tag, then you might as well just take the same amount of money and build 12 km of rapid transit to Meadowvale, rather than 2 km of subway.

Why the NEED for the consumers stop??????????
The Don Mills to Vic Park distance would be about the same as the yonge to Bayview spacing and a tad longer then the leslie to don mills spacing.

Why the NEED for the consumers stop??????????
The Don Mills to Vic Park distance would be about the same as the yonge to Bayview spacing

And there should have been a Willowdale station between Yonge and Bayview. Provision for one exists but NIMBYs prevented construction.

Back