News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...ivers-more-bang-for-the-8-2-billion-buck?bn=1

f74aad444aa080529a47f60d8073.jpg

I don't quite see the purpose of extending the Sheppard Subway if there is going to be a parallel busway 2km north running a longer distance.

In any case, it would be best to investigate all types of BRT from signal priority only to queue jump lanes to full busway. My preference would be for a curbside bus/right turn lane with dedicated right turn lanes for general traffic at major intersections.

Last edited:
should the drl go up vic park or even warden now. i cant help but think that if we extend sheppard we will eventually have another transfer situation when the drl hits sheppard.

I see you are still posting nonsense about Transit City that you know it not true.

THIS.

Transit City was a gift from the transit gods to Scarbourough. Instead of accepting it graciously, people kicked and screamed, made up fantastic lies and waved crayon scrawled maps demanding express subways to their basements. They voted in Rob Ford. Rob #&$^!ng Ford.

Well this is what we get because of that. A Sheppard extension to Vic Park. That's it. That's all. Come back next funding cycle (around 2112). And enjoy the bus ride to Kennedy for the next century.

Scarborough is getting the subway extension it deserves. And I hate the way it's playing out. I really do. But I don't understand how people couldn't see this coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see the advantage of Stintz's plan. Sheppard extension is almost pointless. Where's the SRT? I agree the Finch BRT is a reasonable idea, but I was hoping the Eglinton subway would be built now, and something like the Finch BRT would be built later.

The beauty of Ford's plan was that he paid lip service to Sheppard, but IMO really didn't expect it to go anywhere any time soon, which meant he wouldn't have had to waste time on something in this period like a single extra stop on the Sheppard stubway.

The Sheppard extension is absurd -- it is a huge amount of money to add practically nothing to the system. It is just a transparent $1 billion sop to Ford.

at least if sheppard went to downsview you could argue the network idea of the plan. Instead this si,ply enlarges the STUBway. Im also not happy to see finch become a busway. Does this mean we wont see LRT anywhere but Eglinton? Are we simply going to widen all the roads to add bus lanes in the suburbs? If thats true this is a disaster. BTW Eglinton still doesnt make it to the airport. I cant understand why build the Eglinton line so far and even be ok with ROW but not finishing it to the airport.

sixrings:

A grade separated BRT means conversion to LRT when the day comes will be a relative breeze - just be glad Finch is back on the table (though Finch E BRT would hit ROW width issues I think). And you know what, I don't really care at this point about the little imperfections like not having an extension to the airport - once the line is built, piecemeal extension would be possible. Extension to Vic Park/Consumers isn't a terrible thing to do, actually - certainly more logical than using limited cash* to push Sheppard to its' conclusion as per the previous plan.

*volunteered by the private sector, of course.

AoD

Last edited:
truthfully speaking I blame the liberals for this mess as much as I blame ROB FORD. First of all TC was NEVER fully funded (JANE, DONmILLs, WWLRT no funding). But on top of that McGuinty still decided to cut what was left to essentially a bunch of stubs. Far from the Network it was intended to be. This opened the door for RF to cancel the whole thing and start over. Its extremely frusterating. I see your point that if you start building something inevitably it will at some point get finished. BUT HOW LONG WILL WE HAVE TO WAIT. Its cheaper for the city to do this as a mass project instead of doing it in stages. As a result I cant see why we cant have tolls to pay for the infrastructure we need or even more property tax. In the end I wish we voted Sarah Thomson in if we were going to be all about subways. At least she had a plan to pay for it and it was more a part of her platform. Subways were never seriously part of RFs platform which is why he had no way to pay for it. What was part of his platform was cancelling TC.

The Sheppard extension is absurd -- it is a huge amount of money to add practically nothing to the system.

This is a pretty narrow minded point of view.

The Consumers Road block businesses employ over 20,000 people. That's not including the new residential that's being build or anybody to the north of Sheppard of east of Vic Park. It's probably be the best value and usage for a minor extension in the city.

I used to work in that block and commuted from High Park via all 3 subway lines and a bus, I ended up calculating that I wasted anywhere between 40 minutes to an hour a day waiting for that bus to take me from Fairview Mall to work and back a day. With a Subway extension it would be a 5 minute walk. Time is money.

Eug:

Or maybe she smelled blood in the Fraud camp and gave them a big FU for putting her in a thankless job of pushing the subway nonsense? Or that she is a pawn for the Fraud to U turn without making himself look like a fool? Who knows.

One thing though - if this is real "betrayal", there will be a price for her to pay... The Fraud brothers strike me as a petty, vindictive bunch.

AoD

This is a pretty narrow minded point of view. [...] It's probably be the best value and usage for a minor extension in the city.

That's presuming that the one is only extending the subway -- a billion dollars would by a lot more BRT and/or LRT. This extension is a huge amount of money to serve relatively few people, compared to alternatives.

Or maybe she smelled blood in the Fraud camp and gave them a big FU for putting her in a thankless job of pushing the subway nonsense? Or that she is a pawn for the Fraud to U turn without making himself look like a fool? Who knows.
She never had to accept the job if she didn't want the position.

I respect her willingness to go it alone, but nonetheless it seems she wanted the position, and now we have a better idea why. I suspect she feels this + her TV stint on Undercover Boss will be enough to get her elected.

BTW, I'm not saying that her "betrayal" to Ford is necessarily a bad thing. I'm just saying I don't see the advantage to her plan, and prefer Ford's plan.

Back