Toronto Couture The Condominium | ?m | 42s | Philmor | Graziani + Corazza

Is the huge amount of earth, removed from these construction sites, still dumped at the Leslie Street Spit? If so, at what point, will the spit be finished and then what happens to the earth? That seems to be a huge amount of earth.

I've wondered this too. I see a lot of Michaels Bros. dump trucks drive out to somewhere west of Campbellville (near Guelph) to unload all that earth into some giant quarry but I can't confirm whether these are downtown projects, or stuff from Mississauga and the western suburbs. There's also a lot of dump trucks heading up the DVP; I once counted 30, or so, between the 401 and the Bloor Viaduct.

Fill is always needed for highway interchanges or developments like the West Donlands. I think there is still some dumping at the spit but most of it comes from Don River dredging operations.

The original ramp on the north-east corner has pretty much been removed now and a new temporary ramp created at the south-east corner of the site. It looks to me like the excavation should be nearing completion in the next couple of weeks.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

They're four levels down now and it looks like they're planning on installing the first crane in the middle of November. This is according to the newsletter I recieved yesterday.

Finally, they're about ready to pour the foundation!

They have gone down a bit deeper and setup a ladder system on the North/West corner.

[Taken Oct30th/2010]

coutureoct30.jpg

Aside from the new ramp on the S/E corner of the site, the lot has pretty much been fully excavated now. Today they were forming the area where the crane will be located. A construction fellow was locking up a gate as I passed so I asked him when he expected the crane to arrive. He said weather permitting the cement will be poured in about a week and the crane will go up the week after that once the concrete has fully cured.

Does this photo suggest an illuminated mechanical room at the top?

I wouldn't hold my breath for that ... it may very well just be an 'artist' concept .... judging from the daytime rendering the mechanical box will be covered with aluminium / spandrel, rather than glass (unlike Festival Tower's light box)

Why would you include a tower that wasn't yet built when this render was conceived? Especially if placing it there will let potential buyers know the south view is compromised.

In some renderings, the cladding on the mechanical part at the top looks opaque, while in others it looks transparent. The ambiguity may be to allow the developer to make a decision later on the process.

Back