Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

^ Yup, I'm pretty sure they're not gonna stay with this.

corusign.jpg

very cool ... a slide in a office building's lobby ~ Corus must be a fun place to work LOL :eek:

Late night stroll...

We did Summerlicious at Toula in the Harbour Castle last night (fun and the food was good, but they made up on the wine list what they lost on the prix fixe), and strolled down afterward to show my aunt and uncle the new waterfront east of the sugar shack. Sugar Beach is proceeding apace -- it'll be great when they get rid of the fence around the berm at QQ and allow people to nap on the grass hill. The pink brollies are looking good, too, as well as the walk along the water.

However, it's Corus Quay which is really going to make this part of the waterfront come alive. They've shipped in chairs and benches for the waterside lobby (modern, wildly coloured low armchairs + long benches on one side of the green wall, tables and chairs on the other), finished the slide, and put up a pixelated screen beside the slide that was being tested and was flashing all kinds of wild colours to the harbour. Waterside also has some friggin' HUGE sliding doors that can open the whole building up and make the indoor and outdoor space one big venue. (We'll see how much they get used, but what a great idea!) Once the MuchMusic-like concert stage, cafés, and lounging space (both inside and out) are finished, this will be a fabulous place to work/visit/nap.

I'm really, really having a hard time figuring out where the people who hate this building are coming from. Maybe they're judging from afar. When you're down on the quay, this is really coming together.

In case it hasn't been mentioned before there's a Cafe Supreme in the lobby of Corus where you can pick up coffee and snacks to take to the park or enjoy inside Corus. Not sure if it's open on weekends.

A report from inside Corus Quay.

"There are birds trapped in this building from when they started building it. Everyone is too nice to kill them so they just fly around and try to eat my salad. Plus the slide just opened and so people are lined up beside my desk waiting to go down it. Of course the top of the slide is NEXT TO MY DESK."

http://2burgers2fries2dietcokes.tumblr.com/

I went down to Corus Quay for the fourth time last night since Sugar Beach began to open. I've been pretty critical of this building since the first renderings were shown. Seeing it up close and essentially finished has softened me on some points, but solidly and sometimes negatively re-confirmed others.
I think the strengths of this building lie in its extremely well-tailored finishes, the high level of attention paid to inventive and continuous detailing throughout, and it's well-assigned accomodation of variously divergent functionalities.

The detailing is just about the only way to make this building intriguing - you have to get your eye right up to it. Thank goodness for small mercies. The curtain wall, for example, deceptively looks far more boring and commonplace from afar than it does close up. When you get up to it, though, you cam see how incredibly fine and intricate the machining process has been in assembling it. It's beautifully and subtly carried out. From even a short distant back, though, it looks as banal and uninspired as the most on-spec suburban office plot.
Ditto for plenty of other details - finely tuned and well-carried out of close, balky and dull from afar. The complex is well-bred bore, unwieldy and surprisingly inarticulate. There's little sense of entrance, exit, arrival, flow or place on show. Sugar beach works as the anchor here, not the architecture.

The bits and pieces of fun being installed inside are nifty, but feel a bit forced and unlikely against the relentlessly restrained backdrop of the structure. As a cool, considered piece of functionalism, I think it is better suited to being an academic building or piece of urban infill than attempting to be an engaging waterfront ingénue with a song on her lips.

The slide:

CorusSlidepano.jpg

CorusSlide.jpg

I'll have to get back down there with the camera when there are a pile of Corus employees on the floor picking themselves up.

The slide:

CorusSlidepano.jpg

CorusSlide.jpg

I'll have to get back down there with the camera when there are a pile of Corus employees on the floor picking themselves up.

That's hilarious! But please tell me this is just a piece of whimsical, decorative art and not actually functional. The opening looks too tiny to accommodate a child let alone an adult! Unless it's the perspective of the photo.

Back