Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

corush.jpg

I'll tell you one thing, they got the details right, that's for sure - other then that, it's largely uninspired on the outside - looks like a great place to work on the inside though ...

Rochon called the Corus building " ordinary architecture," "generic," "indistinguishable" and a "corporate clunker." A true wasted opportunity.

Last edited:
Rochon called the Corus building " ordinary architecture," "generic," "indistinguishable" and a "corporate clunker." A true wasted opportunity.

It`s really still surprising this thing got approved in the first place. Diamond is a good architect, but this was not a site suited for his type of work.

Ironically, the way Rochon speaks of it, Corus ought to be the perfect building to come out of a Mayor Ford regime. Instead, it's a central product of the Mayor Miller regime.

I guess we can expect something more like this from Mayor Ford, aesthetically speaking
TorCongressCentre_FRONT.gif

Your giving way to much credit to the mayor ... any mayor ... they are not all powerful gods as we seem to depict them at time.
There's a ton of other players involved and I doubt Miller had much to do with anything here ... and a lot of the other issues, less high level policies ...

Wonder what it would look like if MAD Architects had done it?

uf5.jpg

Lisa Rochon's perfect comparison of Sugar Beach to Corus Quay:

"It’s a bit like spying Jackie Kennedy sheathed in shell-pink chiffon and sparkling sequins sitting next to Soviet
Premier Nikita Khrushchev in a shapeless black suit."

Ironically, the way Rochon speaks of it, Corus ought to be the perfect building to come out of a Mayor Ford regime. Instead, it's a central product of the Mayor Miller regime.

I guess we can expect something more like this from Mayor Ford, aesthetically speaking
TorCongressCentre_FRONT.gif

Thats a gem alright and I am sure we can expect this to be the pinnacle of design excellence.

Lisa Rochon's perfect comparison of Sugar Beach to Corus Quay:

"It’s a bit like spying Jackie Kennedy sheathed in shell-pink chiffon and sparkling sequins sitting next to Soviet
Premier Nikita Khrushchev in a shapeless black suit."

Lisa Rochon has never liked a building in her many years as a critic. Her turns of phrase are neither pithy nor illuminating, since you know exactly what she's going to say before even starting an article -- any article. Looking forward to the review the day after Corus has held its first concert: "Khrushchev's left pocket seams gave way, and spilled music onto Jackie O's skirt. Luckily, she had a shell-pink umbrella to keep the music spill to a minimum."

Seriously, at least Hume on occasion likes something. Can anyone name anything Rochon didn't piss on?

RRR:

Can anyone name anything Rochon didn't piss on?

Yes - anything abroad - i.e. outside of the city. Her best piece has got to be the one from a few years ago where she waxed poetic about construction workers and the ROM steel skeleton. Honestly, it makes you wonder if there is a sequel to it - in the form of a Harlequin romance novel.

AoD

A bodice-ripper where a Antonio the architect has his fierce but tender way with Melody, the Royal Conservatory nymphet, deep within the vaginally-undulating Koerner Concert Hall, maybe?

Yonge Dundas Square wasn't designed with the Beautiful People in mind either and that got a thumbs down. Hosers love it though.

Back