Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

Aren't there two buildings going in to the north of Corus but south of the Queens Quay Blvd? What is the status of those projects?

I went to the site earlier today, and it all looks a lot better than the picture displayed here. I was afraid that it'd look like something you'd find in Mississauga, but I was pleasantly surprised to see it was well thought out and interesting enough.

Here's some pictures I took:

45615_10150260588315335_615555334_14609085_6149935_n.jpg

40780_10150260588460335_615555334_14609090_4996556_n.jpg

40780_10150260588465335_615555334_14609091_4850553_n.jpg

40780_10150260588470335_615555334_14609092_4102299_n.jpg

40780_10150260588485335_615555334_14609095_3525393_n.jpg

40780_10150260588490335_615555334_14609096_7038359_n.jpg

I can see this place becoming an attractive destination after some good (or trendy) restaurants, cafes, and pubs are placed around the area. I have feeling it won't be truly alive until the residential project west of the site gets completed, though.

Aren't there two buildings going in to the north of Corus but south of the Queens Quay Blvd? What is the status of those projects?

There are develoment sites there (the temporary district energy centre is on one of them) but I do not think WT has made any efforts to sell them yet - and is probably waiting for QQ Blvd to be finished first in any case. I think the permanent district energy centre will either be in one of these buildings or in the basement of the George Brown Building, but I am not sure about that. The grassy mound at NE corner of Sugar Beach actually has signage saying it's NOT part of the park and will, eventually, be developed.

It's a pity they didn't use the same colour pink of the umbrellas for the blinds in the Corus building--pink on grey looks great! Maybe in a few years' time they can colour coordinate better? Would add some needed flare to the austere D&S building.

In addition, in the future the area could use a pool built into the lakeside just like the beautiful (view is amazing as well) Kits Beach pool in Vancouver.

Last edited:
I visited this site recently and was also pleasantly surprised. Corus is a perfectly decent building--nothing spectacular but with other work complete the focus in that area will be very much on the water and public spaces, which is fine. However I hadn't really remembered just how isolated/desolate this site is--walking from QQ station really felt like a slog, not least because Redpath has charmingly fenced off the sidewalk on its side of the street. All indications so far suggest that WT is doing a stellar job with this new neighbourhood, but sadly I think it still has a very long way to go.

have patience... it takes time and you've got to start somewhere. Give it 5-10 years and we should see a new, functioning neighbourhood in place of the current wasteland.

However I hadn't really remembered just how isolated/desolate this site is--walking from QQ station really felt like a slog, not least because Redpath has charmingly fenced off the sidewalk on its side of the street. All indications so far suggest that WT is doing a stellar job with this new neighbourhood, but sadly I think it still has a very long way to go.

The fencing you refer to is the construction fencing of Pier 27, Redpath has not put up any fencing around their site and what you see has been there for 20+ years. The problem is that when you are walking east the sidewalk on the south side of Queen's Quay ends where Redpath begins and you then have to walk on the unused (and disconnected) rail line until you reach Lower Jarvis, where WT has constructed a rather poor (though temporary) sidewalk running to Parliament Street. (This replaces the Martin Goodman trail for pedestrians, cyclists are supposed to cycle on the road.) Ideally WT or the City would remove the rail tracks and install a sidewalk in front of Redpath as this area is now more and more used by pedestrians.

It looks really good from the front, except those mechanicals are gross. Way to ruin a sleek design!

The interior is playful and fun. It looks like an enjoyable place to work.

The mechanicals ARE irritating. Why can't they at least be clad in something half-assed decent looking?

Love the bridges and the living wall, but I'm not feeling the playground quality of the floor.

The mechanicals ARE irritating. Why can't they at least be clad in something half-assed decent looking?

Love the bridges and the living wall, but I'm not feeling the playground quality of the floor.

Corus focuses on children's programming, so it is appropriate. I imagine they might film some television segments in the atrium - a "tasteful" floor covering would look out of place.

what a ridiculous idea...

in the first photo above I'm liking the random patterns made by the pull down blinds at different heights, really adds an extra layer of interest to the building.

Back