Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

Hopefully no one thinks the sculpture is the slide (drunken office party?)
Is there a weight limit to the slide? and that woman sitting at the bottom of it is gonna get wacked by someone coming down it.

Urban Toronto was invited to the official opening and press tour of Corus Quay earlier this week. The 500,000 sq ft environmentally-friendly, open-concept, high-tech facility, designed by Diamond and Schmitt Architects, with interiors by Quadrangle Architects Limited, unites under one roof 24 television services, three radio stations, and over 1,100 employees formerly spread over eleven different locations.

Test by Doug Convoy Photos by Interchange42

CorusAtrium8pano.jpg

CorusAtrium1pano.jpg

The opening ceremonies, emceed by AM640 Radio personality John Oakley, included a pre-recorded congratulatory message from Mayor David Miller who was in Rotterdam in his capacity as Chair of the C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group.

CorusP1180753.jpg

From left to right: A.J. Diamond, Founding Principal, Diamond and Schmitt Architects; Lorne J. Brathwaite, President and CEO , Build Toronto; John Cassaday, President and CEO, Corus Entertainment; Marcos Gonzalez-Flower, Global Head of Media Consulting, Siemens IT Solutions and Services; Brian L. Curtner, Principal, Quadrangle Architects Limited.

CorusP1180773.jpg

A.J. Diamond of Diamond and Schmitt Architects described Corus Quay as an urban pioneer building whose big moves and simple glass skin allow it to be read easily from a distance.

CorusP1180759.jpg

Brian L. Curtner of Quadrangle Architects Limited sought to create a pleasant and playful work environment through the use of colour and the integration of water and wave motifs throughout the building.

CorusP1180766.jpg

Following the official opening, invited media were led through the facility by Scott Dyer, Chief Technology Officer of Corus Entertainment. Formglas-manufactured Glass Fibre Reinforced Gypsum (GRG) surrounds the elevators in custom wave patterns on the eighth floor.

CorusP1180780.jpg

The lounge area on the eighth floor opens out onto a large south-facing patio with green-roof elements.

CorusP1180781.jpg

Adjoining the lounge is a 100-seat screening room.

CorusP1180785.jpg

A typical open-concept work area on one of the staff floors, which encompass levels three, four, and five. Low cubicle walls and natural light foster collaboration and reduce energy consumption.

CorusP1180790.jpg

One of more than 150 meeting rooms at Corus Quay.

CorusP1180791.jpg

Master Control on the second floor with full HD broadcast infrastructure.

CorusP1180817.jpg

CorusP1180824.jpg

The 8,000 sq ft data centre, which consumes 40% less energy than Corus' previous broadcast facility.

CorusP1180827.jpg

The Q107 broadcast area, which is completely digitized.

CorusP1180832.jpg

The live studio performance space opens onto Sugar Beach, engaging the public with Corus Quay.

CorusP1180838.jpg

The gallery space features rotating exhibits of art created by Corus employees.

CorusP1180797.jpg

The staff lounge, a key gathering place, is fully open to the central atrium.

CorusP1180813.jpg

CorusP1180802.jpg

CorusAtrium9pano.jpg

CorusAtrium13pano.jpg

The five-storey bio wall overlooks the three-storey slide connecting the staff lounge with the ground floor. The bio wall utilizes plants to filter the air and lower energy use.

CorusAtrium6pano.jpg

The slide reinforces the wave theme that permeates the building and promotes fun and informality among employees.

CorusP1180805.jpg

Another wave element is the fabric-covered aluminum ribbon that snakes around the slide and down one of the corridors inside the atrium.

CorusP1180738.jpg

Wave patterns continue in the terrazzo on the ground floor.

CorusP1180741.jpg

Wax-finished hemlock wall-panels are recycled from a long-collapsed wharf at the foot of Bathurst St, reinforcing Corus Quay's sense of place on Toronto's waterfront.

CorusP1180959.jpg

One of more than 250 informal meeting areas at Corus Quay.

CorusP1180961.jpg

A storage facility for up to 70 bicycles reflects the building's commitment to achieving LEED Gold Certification.

CorusP1180963.jpg

That concludes our coverage of Corus Quay's interiors. Next, we focus on the facility's three specially-commissioned art-installations by Troika, the renowned art and design practice based in London, UK. Stay tuned.

CorusP1180855.jpg

Last edited:
I went to see this building in person for the first time this weekend. While I agree with some who say that the building was a bit of a missed opportunity (the first building on the new waterfront should have been a knockout imo), I will stick up for the fact that it does have a lot going for it. It shows better in person as it does have nice finishes and when you're up close you can see the cool interior through the glass pretty well.

On a related note, Sugar Beach is awesome, but the area smells a bit funky which I suppose isn't surprising given that it's still pretty industrial.

When I look at the pictures of the interior of the building, what immediately comes to mind are images of the Tate Modern Art Gallery and the Charles De Gaulle Airport. The Tate photos are from my visit to London in 2006 when they had the metal and glass slides exhibit (much cooler looking than the Corus ones). The image of the glass tubes at De Gaulle (4th photo) I got from the web. The tubes date back to the 1960's. In any case, it seems like it is quite obvious where the architects got their "inspiration" from.

London Nov 2006 018.jpg
London Nov 2006 020.jpg
London Nov 2006 021.jpg
GlassTubes-De Gaulle2.jpg
London Nov 2006 023.jpg

Attachments

• London Nov 2006 018.jpg
    London Nov 2006 018.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 598
  • London Nov 2006 020.jpg
    London Nov 2006 020.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 556
  • London Nov 2006 021.jpg
    London Nov 2006 021.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 561
  • GlassTubes-De Gaulle2.jpg
    GlassTubes-De Gaulle2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 830
  • London Nov 2006 023.jpg
    London Nov 2006 023.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
THIS I like:
CorusP1180963.jpg

I love getting insider pics of spaces in the building I'd never otherwise see. And I'm so glad they incorporated lots of bicycle parking. Excellent!

I can't say I'm impressed by the interiors at all. They are somewhat funky but totally cheap as hell in an IKEA kitsch sort of way.

Corus Quay Troika Art-Installations

Urban Toronto’s coverage of Corus Quay continues with a spotlight on Troika’s three competition-winning, specially-commissioned installations – Shoal, Lightning Bolt, and Drizzle – that define the building at the confluence of city, water, and sky.

Text by Doug Convoy Photos by Interchange42

Shoal

Spanning 50 meters along the ceiling of the public passage through Corus Quay, Shoal is comprised of 467 individually-rotating fish-like elements made from iridescent dichroic acrylic and controlled by custom-designed electronics.

CorusP1180858.jpg

CorusP1180863.jpg

The ‘fish’ rotate on their own axis in interdependent movements reminiscent of a shoal.

CorusP1180855.jpg

CorusP1180854.jpg

The spatial experience of the corridor is activated and transformed in infinite dialogue with Lake Ontario beyond.

CorusP1180853.jpg

Lightning Bolt

12 m high x 8 m wide x 3 m deep, Lightning Bolt propagates in three dimensions within the south face of the atrium at Corus Quay overlooking dockside and the lake.

CorusAtrium1011pano.jpg

Seven branches emerge from a central stem in 166 individual segments made from stainless steel and Makrolon cladding and containing 35,000 LEDs.

CorusAtrium3pano.jpg

Lightning Bolt slices through the architecture of the building, relocating it within nature.

CorusP1180885.jpg

Presently, the installation is undergoing cleaning and fine-tuning of its custom-built controls. It should be fully operational in the coming days.

CorusP1180902.jpg

Drizzle

Shimmering droplets of light fall to the ground in this 17 meter-long installation embedded in the exterior soffit of Corus Quay.

CorusP1190087.jpg

Encompassing 28 fixtures with 16 light elements each, Drizzle immerses visitors in a shower of refracted colour in homage to Isaac Newton.

CorusP1190081.jpg

Science and nature merge in Troika's Shoal, Lightning Bolt, and Drizzle through re-imagined displays of basic natural phenomena, reflecting and reinforcing the fundamental qualities of Corus Quays itself.

Which brings us to the end of our feature on Corus Quay.

Urban Toronto in conversation with Troika founders Sebastian Noel and Eva Rucki. Conny Freyer, Troika's third founder, joined the discussion moments after this shot was taken.

CorusP1180867.jpg

Last edited:
Here are Shoal's swimming fish...

[video=youtube;KmezQrvmsx8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmezQrvmsx8[/video]

and here is Drizzle's dripping light:

[video=youtube;1gepKZPQTVY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gepKZPQTVY[/video]

Last edited:
If they proceed too far... yes! The fish are swimming above the main public hallway leading from the entrance lobby (look for the security desk, walk toward, and then around them) down to the water. There is plenty of space to make a left or right turn once you are out the doors again and at the waterfront promenade before you hit the water!

Back