Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

This is such great news for the city to have the tower lit.... finally!!!!!!!!!!!
We need to do stuff like this to make the city a destination.

I love the lights by the lake too.

Posts regarding Pulse Front, the light show at LuminaTO, moved to this thread in Out and About.

CN Tower Lighting

From the CN Tower website - http://www.cntower.ca/

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 2007
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Highlighting the CN Tower
Testing of Innovative Illumination Technology Begins Early June 2007

TORONTO, May 28, 2007 - Early June 2007 Canada’s National Tower begins testing and programming of an innovative intelligent LED lighting system with plans later in June to launch the architectural illumination of the CN Tower, dramatically transforming the Toronto night time skyline from that day forward.

Concluding a three month installation, lighting tests in early June will make portions of the Tower noticeably lit for brief periods each night. Then, beginning at sunset on June 28, 2007, the CN Tower will dramatically transform the Toronto night time skyline during a special lighting event to present to Torontonians and the world the awe-inspiring architectural illumination of Canada’s National Tower and kick off Canada Day weekend.

“The CN Tower is an architectural and engineering wonder and we are thrilled to realize a dynamic and visually elegant CN Tower as part of the Toronto night time skyline,†said Jack Robinson, Chief Operating Officer for the CN Tower. “We’ve waited a long time for the right technology that would present a sustainable installation at Canada’s National Tower and are pleased with what will be an energy efficient, cost efficient and architecturally stunning result.â€

“It’s an honour for Color Kinetics to be chosen for a project of this stature, and to bring the extraordinary visual impact of intelligent LED lighting to the most iconic architectural structure in Canada,†said Bill Sims, President and CEO, Color Kinetics. “A few short years ago it may have been unthinkable to light a tower of this magnitude with LED sources, and this installation will mark another milestone for the technology’s adoption as the de facto method of lighting with color today.â€

The CN Tower is implementing a Color Kinetics® lighting system that merges patented Chromacore® technology with microprocessor-controlled light emitting diodes (LEDs). The first major breakthrough in the lighting industry in over 100 years, Chromacore has enabled an entirely new kind of lighting – intelligent LED illumination – recognized by designers and industry experts as a revolutionary invention, both technically and aesthetically.
# The LED installation is energy efficient, cost efficient and provides a number of other unique benefits. The CN Tower calculates that the maximum energy consumption of the vibrant LED-illuminated Tower will use even less energy - 10% less - than the recent dimly lit Tower and over 60% less energy than the fully lit Tower of the 1990’s.
# Each LED fixture uses less than 20% of the energy required to light a comparable conventional colour changing lighting fixture.
# While some of the former conventional fixtures lighting the CN Tower were each as large as a washing machine, each of the new LED fixtures is no bigger than a shoebox.
# Millions of colours and infinite effects - Microprocessor controlled, each fixture can produce 16.7 million colours. Intelligent digital control makes the system programmable from a single computer console. Each fixture has a unique “address†that can be programmed individually to create an infinite variety of lighting effects.
# Directional lighting - Unlike conventional light sources, LED light output can be controlled and precisely directed ensuring that the lighting will illuminate the Tower and not “spill†or interfere with nearby hotels, office towers or residences.

Later in June, the CN Tower plans to host a public event at sunset with live entertainment, a special CN Tower Sunset admission offer and an unforgettable lighting ceremony where Torontonians and visitors will officially illuminate the Tower for the first time. Further details to follow in the coming weeks.

CN Tower
Standing tall as the defining landmark of Toronto is the CN Tower, Canada’s National Tower. At 553.33 metres (1,815ft 5in), it is the World’s Tallest Freestanding Tower and a symbol of Canadian achievement recognized around the world. This architectural triumph is an engineering Wonder of the Modern World and widely regarded as the iconic symbol of tourism for Toronto, Ontario and Canada. With breathtaking views from three observation levels including the Glass Floor, Look Out and Sky Pod, theatre, motion ride, shopping, the CN Tower is a world class entertaining and dining destination and must-see attraction when visiting Toronto.

About Color Kinetics
Celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, Color Kinetics Incorporated (NASDAQ: CLRK) transforms environments through new, dynamic uses of light. Its award-winning lighting systems and technologies apply the benefits of LEDs as a highly efficient, long lasting, environmentally friendly, and inherently digital source of illumination - reinventing light itself as a highly controllable medium. Color Kinetics also enables widespread adoption of LED lighting through OEM and licensing partnerships in diverse markets. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA with offices in the UK and China. More information is available at http://www.colorkinetics.com.

This sounds rather exciting actually...

CN Tower-a symbol of modern Toronto

TG,ST and all: I read this entire thread and looked at the pictures and this sounds like a good thing for Toronto-the CN Tower is to me a symbol of the modern city that Toronto has become-the lightshow to celebrate 30 years is a great idea! This also means more to me than some because I can say that I have been there myself and gone to the top at least a couple of times-I will vouch myself for the great views from up there. That lightshow would be some sight to see! LI MIKE

Which side were they testing? I just checked [10:50pm] and there's nothing [except for the LuminaTO lights]

It's a bit nippy out there. I guess that's why I didn't look up at the tower other than to see the spot lights swinging around.

Maybe it was just the Pulse Front lights shining over onto the CN Tower. It was just white lights flickering on the upper mast portion of the tower, between the SkyPod and the Main bubble.
Then again, I didnt think that Pulse Front was happening during the week. I thought it was a weekend only thing???

Maybe it was just the Pulse Front lights shining over onto the CN Tower. It was just white lights flickering on the upper mast portion of the tower, between the SkyPod and the Main bubble.
Then again, I didnt think that Pulse Front was happening during the week. I thought it was a weekend only thing???

As far as I know the tower has not started to be affixed with any LED fixtures. And yes, Pulse Front is running all week long.

Later in June, the CN Tower plans to host a public event at sunset with live entertainment, a special CN Tower Sunset admission offer and an unforgettable lighting ceremony where Torontonians and visitors will officially illuminate the Tower for the first time. Further details to follow in the coming weeks.

I look forward to this. Another public event, hopefully better staged than the ROM's!

I've never been up there in evening, and would be interested. The high prices of admission is a bit of a turnoff, so I wonder how easily it will be to get the evening admission deal.

Back