Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

Cool - congrats lxm!

Congrats! I'm gonna guess it was this one for sure:

web3.jpg

And one of the following two:

web5.jpg

web8.jpg

Those are truly brilliant photographs.

Congrats lxmoss. They are great photos, and will make fantastic postcards.

I like pic # 2 because it doesn't show the base of those lights.

BTW, what type of camera do you use? I went and took some pix and they all turned out dark, not bright like yours :(

I have a mixed feelings about these gorgeous photos turning into post cards. It's great that tourists can own them. But then, when they see the actual site, they are not as great as the cards (always like that, isn't it?) and it's quite disappointing. Why can't they leave the lights on permanently like pic #2?

Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes. It really was unexpected and exciting.
You are most correct, Gei. They are photos one and three! Excellent guesses!

The camera I use is a Canon Rebel Digital camera with stock(cheap) lens.

How long will the CN Tower be in existence before wear and tear require its demolition? Is there a time line after which it might fall down?

Or, like the Efiel Tower in Paris, will the CN Tower live on forever, helped along the way through extensive repairs.

If it was taken down, how do you demolish the CN Tower safely?

I believe it was supposed to have a 100 year lifespan, but with regular upkeep it should be much longer.

According to the commemorative book released when the tower opened, the lifespan of the tower was approximately 300 yrs. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of it to exactly quote from.

The quote in the book said basically that the tower's foundation was not tied into the bedrock it rested on with steel cables to provide support, because steel cables would rust out long before the three hundred years the tower was expected to last.

I'm sure by then we'll be able to zap it with a laser and be done with it in 10 seconds.

Yeh- our grandchildren will still be looking at this thing. By which time Toronto will have well moved on from this being a civic highlight- one only hopes. On the other hand TO may decide to go for the gusto and vie for another world's tallest!

Back