Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

Starting to look like Christmas...

From Sat., Nov. 24th.

cn-nov24-2.jpg

i was out at 4am yesterday and the tower was fully lit. are they keeping the lights on the whole night now?

I noticed that too. The only thing I could think of is the city is full of Grey Cup fans from across the country out partying their heads off all night.

Following the Roughriders victory the tower was lit in the team colours (White and Green) - I thought that was a great idea and a bit of Toronto hospitality for all the out-of-town visitors for the Grey Cup.

Animals are more important than a lit up building.

frankly, they're not. there will be some birds that die. but many many other birds will live. one of the world's greatest structures deserves to be seen at night.
i wonder if parisians are having this discussion about the birds and their eiffel tower.
i doubt it.
they have an innate sense that lighting the tower is good despite the collatoral damage.

i wonder if parisians are having this discussion about the birds and their eiffel tower.

Toronto's located on a major bird migration route. Not sure if Paris is.

^^^

damn!
good point. never thought of that.
let's light it up and offer the birds' lawyers some kind of compensation or a book deal.

It's lit every night until 1, like all the other monuments in Paris. The strobe lights sparkle for 10 minutes at the top of every hour. Also, the Eiffel Tower has very little glass (it's the reflections that confuse the birds), unlike Toronto's over lit buildings. Further, subjectively, the lighting on the Eiffel tower enhances the architecture, unlike that on the CN Tower, which appears to be there merely for its own sake.

lawsond,

You should volunteer to make the rounds around the CBD with the FLAP people every morning as they round up all the bird carcasses and injured birds.

lawsond,
You should volunteer to make the rounds around the CBD with the FLAP people every morning as they round up all the bird carcasses and injured birds.

i know. on a strictly compassionate level, you are right.
but the highways are littered with dead animals.
we eat animals. (at least i do...though not off the highway)
abatoirs are full of MILLIONS chickens being slaughtered.
you might feel that lighting up the cn tower is a frivilous excuse for having animals die. and that is totally valid.
some would say Swiss Chalet is a frivilous excuse for having animals die...also valid.
i think it's worth it.

as for enhancing the architecture, i think the lighting does enhance it. like the empire state building or the statue of liberty or any one of hundreds of monuments all over the world that are lit at night.

I recently rescued a small injured bird that was stranded on a busy sidewalk after hitting a window a few floors up. Having this frightened, wounded little creature in my hands really gave me a sense of the preciousness of life. So, yes, shutting off unnecessary lighting during migration season is a small price to pay for the survival of thousands of birds that would otherwise die a very painful, miserable death. Also, the songbird population is declining at an alarming rate and much has to be done to preserve their numbers. (Read about it on wiki.)

Btw, the bird survived, that day at least.

Well if we're saving songbirds fine! If it's the seagulls we're saving, then I say turn up the lights and duck!!!!

Back