Toronto Bisha Hotel and Residences | 146.91m | 44s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

What I would like to understand is why this high end and luxury project over $700 per sq ft has exposed concrete ceilings for the residential units?, it does not match at all with the design shown on these pictures

I noticed that on the renderings as well regarding the exposed concrete ceilings. I thought perhaps they are offering to a more hip/younger crowd who would like this. Perhaps they are spending alot on the common areas and their research has indicated to them that the crowd they are marketing too likes this "look" of the ceiling.

It looks pretty tacky to me. Expensive but tacky. In a Russian Oligarch sort of way.

Very striking and very trendy at first blush.
I would find the black a little overwhelming and personally I would tire of it I think quite quickly.
I really wonder if people will look at that and say "looks dated after a few years".
Just a personal observation but I am curious what others will think. I am sure some will say things like
"leading edge" and "avant garde, what TO needs".

Impressive and looks expensive, but a little to flamboyant for my taste.
The brass and black laqueur walls reminds me of the cosmetic department of a department store of the 80's hayday era.
By the time Bisha gets built the lavish baroque/rococo trend will be tired and out of date.

Exposed concrete ceilings for the units?! That's very out of character and more suited for a loft.
Plaster ceilings with recessed lighting would be more appropriate, especially at this price point. Some buyers may opt for moldings and coffers, or possibly (gasp!) mirrors for their ceilings.

Last edited:
I noticed that on the renderings as well regarding the exposed concrete ceilings. I thought perhaps they are offering to a more hip/younger crowd who would like this. Perhaps they are spending alot on the common areas and their research has indicated to them that the crowd they are marketing too likes this "look" of the ceiling.

I posted a link from The National in The Ritz thread last Friday where they covered the high end hotel/condo market in Toronto. They profiled a guy who bought a condo in the Thompson Hotel and I was surprised to see a nice spacious apartment with crappy exposed concrete ceilings, so some people obviously like this option.

Urban Toronto's coverage of Bisha Hotel & Residence by Lifetime Developments and Ink Entertainment continues into the glamorous model suite by Munge Leung showcasing the myriad luxury appointments in Bisha's 332 private residences.

Text by Doug Convoy, Photos and Illustrations Courtesy of Lifetime Developments and Ink Entertainment

13BishaSuiteCorridorDetail.jpg

Located on floors 10 to 39, condominium suites range in size from 379 square feet to over 2,500 square feet and feature nine foot, exposed concrete ceilings; designer-selected pre-finished engineered flooring; signature flat slab doors or sliders; contemporary profile painted wood baseboards, door frames and casings; and designer-selected door handles and hardware.

17BishaModelLivingRM750.jpg

15BishaModelOA.jpg

High-tech kitchens include custom cabinetry by Munge Leung, natural stone countertops and backsplashes, stainless steel undermount sink, stainless steel appliances, and designer-selected hardware and lighting.

BishaDiningToKitchen.jpg

16BishaModelDiningKitchen750.jpg

14BishaModelDetail.jpg

20BishaMasterBDRMDetail.jpg

BishaMaster.jpg

Spa-like master bathrooms contain Munge Leung-designed cabinetry; natural stone flooring, tiles and countertops; white porcelain plumbing fixtures; soaker tub and/or separate frameless glass shower; and chrome accessory package.

BishaMasterBath.jpg

19BishaPowderRMDetail.jpg

18BishaDen.jpg

BishaDen.jpg

Bisha residences integrate state-of-the-art technology including pre-wiring for cable TV, high-speed Internet access and telephones; individual thermostat for temperature control in each suite; and emergency voice communications system and smoke and carbon monoxide detector in each suite. Prices run from the mid-$300,000’s to over $1.5 million.

Bisha Hotel & Residence, a unique niche-luxury brand originating in Toronto, embodies the energy, passion, and ambition of its creators and designers perhaps more than any other development project in the city today. Urban Toronto will continue to track its progress in the months and years ahead as it builds upon this city's growing sophistication and excitement. So, stay tuned.

The tastelessness and crudity is overwhelming. At first glance it seems like a parody of striver-Ed Hardyism gone berserk. I imagine the kind of people buying in this place are the sorts that check their Blackberrys during funerals and wear cologne that can be smelled a block away.

Compare with the lobby at X and the ridiculousness is as subtle as a kick in the teeth. Is there a term we can come up with that captures the gaudiness inherent in Cheddingtonism translated to here? Bishaism? But as a place for threesome hookups with pantyless club girls, sure, it will do but one can't expect much from a man whose club is probably single handedly responsible for the degradation of Toronto's public realm, so it isn't surprising he would defecate this onto us as well.

Last edited:
^^ Wow. So I gather that you are not a fan?

I personally think that it looks fine. So either I am a cultural philistine with no taste, or you are impossibly closed-minded about differing aesthetic values. Your call.

The design has too much drama for me. I'd prefer something more cozy. I absolutely love the black "Y" tile in the bathroom next to the sink though.

I like the floor landing with the marble and the light colours.

The model suites are just so dark and I just think one would tire of it.

I suspect however that we may be breaking down along lines of age here. By this, I believe that those of us (myself included over 50) don't care for it in general and those in their 20-40's probably like it more. Just a guess.

I do think the bathroom and the kitchen choices are nice so presumably one could tone it down to "my older eyes palate".

There is no question money is being spent here. However, money and taste are not the same thing. I find the whole overall impression personally a bit "gaudy".

Tough crowd here.
I remember reading something in the newspaper that the hinges of the bathroom cabinets cost $100 each, as the designers describe how soft and smoothly they close. Hard to believe for a condo development they spend that much for a hinge, but if they are charging $700+/sf they better be.
The gap of the bathroom sink apron from the countertop looks really strange in comparison.

The model suite is not as over the top as the rest of the sales centre, and it's actually not bad if you look past all that black. Maybe you could get the exposed concrete ceilings stained black as an option.

Back