Toronto Bisha Hotel and Residences | 146.91m | 44s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

Tough crowd? Nah. I see it more as a consensus.

The problem with a lobby like that is it'll look super dated in like 5 years. Imagine 15 years from now!
Lobby's and common areas should really be toned down and more functional than trendy. At the
end of the day, who the heck hangs out in their lobby anyway? Why would you?

Tough crowd? Nah. I see it more as a consensus.

The problem with a lobby like that is it'll look super dated in like 5 years. Imagine 15 years from now!

Actually, once we get to 15 years from now, its "super datedness" might turn back into retro-stylishness--of a sort. Or at least, today's version of Patrick Bateman/American Psycho fare...

Lobby's and common areas should really be toned down and more functional than trendy. At the
end of the day, who the heck hangs out in their lobby anyway? Why would you?

Hmmm, everytime I walk by the Thompson Hotel there's always seem to be at least one hair-product-laiden douchey-looking guy wearing big sunglasses hanging around in the lobby. I'm sure it will be the same for Bisha.
It's an extroverted and flamboyant environment for extroverted and flamboyant people (and its poseurs), not my cup of tea but there's a market for it.
I am sure the hotel will help foot the bill for a remodel later down the road to keep their place trendy and "desireable".

I like some of the interiors but the lobby area is definitely gaudy. Gold, black and reflective? All 3 are completely without personality, or hiding one at best. Together? Blech.

17BishaModelLivingRM750.jpg

There's something rather examination-room-unsettling in a Dead Ringers sort of way about interiors like this.

17BishaModelLivingRM750.jpg

There's something rather examination-room-unsettling in a Dead Ringers sort of way about interiors like this.

This is 100% the style of Charles Kabouth...

I've known him 10 years and this is him...

And I'll tell you... A LOT of people like his style...

The lobby looks like a Las Vegas hotel, All the new hotels in Vegas have that modern gaudiness look to them

I'm a supporter of tacky interiors, but these interiors are tacky and yet somehow boring. Or overly serious? I think that might be it.

Just a reminder to all the folks who will complain about it later: take a look at the photo of the model of the building and notice that the mechanical box is visible. I don't really care, but the hubbub about X shows that many people do.

No, you know what the interiors are - they are a bunch of poorly photocopied quotations strewn about a room to create the impression of "high-end design" without any of the playfulness, danger or subtlety of a high end work. Also too many status signifiers.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications/searchPlanningApp.do

56 BLUE JAYS WAY
Site Plan Approval 10 299074 STE 20 SA Ward 20
- Tor & E.York Nov 18, 2010 Application Submitted Nov 18, 2010 Recreation 11,422 24,614 36,036 343 1,979 --- --- ---
Site Plan approval application for a 41 storey mixed use building containing hotel and residential condo - Hotel floors 1-9 ( 101 hotel suites) (8 renal units) remainder residential. 234 residentail units - 6 levels below grade parking - 262 spaces - 28 for hotel 22 visitor and 212 residential parking spaces.

the site approval is interesting.
8 renal units. Are they going to have dialysis on site?
My suspicion is there are 8 rental units which I assume means longer term "hotel suites"?

This is 100% the style of Charles Kabouth...

I've known him 10 years and this is him...

And I'll tell you... A LOT of people like his style...

I would be one of them. He has an incredible knack for it I think.

That's my preference at least.

He always seems to create a perfect balance between classy and chic.

Although I definitely see the Vegas influence in some of his spaces. Spice Route would be the most obvious example as it's clearly based on the Tao concept.

Back