News   Sep 04, 2024
 397     0 
News   Sep 04, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Sep 04, 2024
 541     1 

Toronto Bike Share

anyone care to speculate as to whether bike share toronto will extend beyond the 416 at some point? it's quite common in other metros sliced up into smaller municipalities for the bike share system to cross boundaries, but I'm not sure how it would work here given the TPAs role with bike share. I know other cities in the GTA are considering systems of their own but I think we ought to avoid repeating the mistakes we've made on the transit front by having a system as fragmented as it is.
Lime and Bird are already in Mississauga and Brampton. I don't see why Bikeshare cannot expand there as well.

Lime and Bird are already in Mississauga and Brampton. I don't see why Bikeshare cannot expand there as well.
Bike share operates at a loss, so they'd have to subsidize it. I think that's why the Ok'd lime/bird because it meant the city got a boost for free.

Aside from some trails there aren't really any good biking routes I'm familiar with. Also I don't think either are comparable, giant swaths of Mississauga are closed off. (most of Dixie is a no ride zone even though they have a separated bike trail)

I really hope that's the case. Not sure how it could be structured. Maybe the other municipalities could fund the capital and operating subsidy to TPA, but I imagine some integration with each city's parking authority is important.
The system is incredibly labor intensive, you'd have to find a fair way to bill for a bike that moves from 1 city to another when picked up by a truck.

The system is incredibly labor intensive, you'd have to find a fair way to bill for a bike that moves from 1 city to another when picked up by a truck.
I don't think repositioning between cities will be a big deal as I see no reason to believe bikes would flow in an unbalanced way between Mississauga and Toronto, for instance. I think most of the rebalancing is 'uphill' as people are more inclined to take an acoustic bike downhill vs uphill. If the pool is shared, there is no reason a specific bike needs to be moved from the west end of Mississauga to Scarborough, for instance. And a big part of the cost is I imagine the loading and unloading, not so much the driving between stations.

Bike share operates at a loss, so they'd have to subsidize it. I think that's why the Ok'd lime/bird because it meant the city got a boost for free.

Aside from some trails there aren't really any good biking routes I'm familiar with. Also I don't think either are comparable, giant swaths of Mississauga are closed off. (most of Dixie is a no ride zone even though they have a separated bike trail)
Most of Mississauga has pretty good off-street trailers (though somewhat circuitous) and good multiuse paths along arterials.

Back