News   Sep 26, 2024
 636     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 720     0 

Toronto Bike Share

I disagree, most especially with he scooters. As soon as one crosses into Mississauga, these scooters are parked willy-nilly. They are still illegal in Toronto (fwiw, as that's not enforced).

There are already businesses that will rent you a bicycle. None do it with one way rentals, afaik
So Ive never understood why "dockless scooters" are the only option.
PBSC litterally sells dockable scooters.
Its almost likely people have a bad taste because of letting private companies roam around with no regulation.

Reactions: max
So Ive never understood why "dockless scooters" are the only option.
PBSC litterally sells dockable scooters.
Its almost likely people have a bad taste because of letting private companies roam around with no regulation.
The issues I foresee is that helmets are really rather mandatory on e-scooters as the probability of injury is higher. I know ebikes also nominally require helmets, but I'm not sure the evidence is as compelling to support that.

When scooters have come up at committee staff have strongly advised against allowing them because it opens the city up to liability because of the poor condition of the roads, noting that wheels on scooters aren't designed to face large potholes. Staff have also told councillors that some of the technology the rental companies tout (ex: geofencing for sidewalks) doesn't work as well as the companies claim

When scooters have come up at committee staff have strongly advised against allowing them because it opens the city up to liability because of the poor condition of the roads, noting that wheels on scooters aren't designed to face large potholes. Staff have also told councillors that some of the technology the rental companies tout (ex: geofencing for sidewalks) doesn't work as well as the companies claim
Again note the difference between dockless scooters and dockable ones.

Like flip it around, why dont we use dockless bike share. Because its dumb lol

Reactions: PL1
Under the 'Network Info' section on their website, you can see that the removal, which happened in August is temporary for Parks construction. The Docks here will return.

View attachment 598408
Seems like they should install a replacement station nearby (even if temporary) rather than removing a station that creates a significant station desert in a central area.

Or have such a concentration of stations in said central area to begin with so the temporary removal of one does not create a desert.

Seems like they should install a replacement station nearby (even if temporary) rather than removing a station that creates a significant station desert in a central area.

Or have such a concentration of stations in said central area to begin with so the temporary removal of one does not create a desert.

In this case, I assume the interruption is brief, given that Moore Park doesn't even have a capital project listed on the Parks website.

So there's probably nothing to be gained, this time; but you should absolutely email them and highlight the issue.

Start by suggesting a spot for a second nearby station, permanently. See if you can find a good spot, one that would work for you, is on City property and where the bikes/docks wouldn't be in the way of anything. Suggest more than one spot if you can, in case your first choice is a 'no' for whatever reason. It also gives them an 'alternate' spot if this comes up again in the future.

Start by suggesting a spot for a second nearby station, permanently. See if you can find a good spot, one that would work for you, is on City property and where the bikes/docks wouldn't be in the way of anything. Suggest more than one spot if you can, in case your first choice is a 'no' for whatever reason. It also gives them an 'alternate' spot if this comes up again in the future.
What is the correct email address to reach in contact with them for station suggestions?

Because I have been emailing bike share and the local councilors for three years now about nearby spots in the area located on city property and have only received the token "thank you for your suggestion" response.

What is the correct email address to reach in contact with them for station suggestions?

Because I have been emailing bike share and the local councilors for three years now about nearby spots in the area located on city property and have only received the token "thank you for your suggestion" response.

Try Justin Hanna, he's the Director of Bikeshare:

Justin.Hanna@toronto.ca

See updated email address below in @evandyk 's post.

Last edited:
Continuing with my profiles of areas that are short of Bikeshare capacity, lets look at York University - Keele Campus as at 4pm on Tuesday, Sept. 24.

1727208375682.png

11 stations, zero bikes in the broader area.

I think this calls for a minimum of 4 more stations, and for 3-4 stations to receive significant enlargement.

Think of what ridership numbers they could post if there were any bikes available to a student or faculty member wanting one before tomorrow.

Perhaps, York U could be persuaded to contribute to the cost, and help find space.

Continuing with my profiles of areas that are short of Bikeshare capacity, lets look at York University - Keele Campus as at 4pm on Tuesday, Sept. 24.

View attachment 598646

11 stations, zero bikes in the broader area.

I think this calls for a minimum of 4 more stations, and for 3-4 stations to receive significant enlargement.

Think of what ridership numbers they could post if there were any bikes available to a student or faculty member wanting one before tomorrow.

Perhaps, York U could be persuaded to contribute to the cost, and help find space.
Okay, that's actually insane..... Are we sure there isn't some outage for that area?

Not that I'm aware of.........

Don't see anything on their website, or FB to indicate that.
New York has a rewards system for helping rebalance stations. Seems like it could be a good for Toronto but needs to be implemented properly, as unfortunately it can be abused by artificially creating the problem of a bunch of fully empty and completely full stations by moving bikes around, then solving that artificial problem and getting paid for that 🤣:

Back