Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Yonge & Gerrard won't be able to compete with Yonge/Dundas. Yonge/Dundas has all that space outside the entrance of the Eaton Centre PLUS the big square across the street. Yonge/Gerrard has nothing but regular sidewalks. I do love Aura, but I miss my favourite hot dog stand.

At the very least, this will become a much more lively intersection. I can only make that assumption that the Canyon Creek and Alex Fazooli's will be fronting Yonge.

Another backside photo with hoist

photo-1701.jpg

First, thanks Geekaroo for your photos.

Have driven by several times lately and it seems all too big! Rather like a "Monster" at street level. I was expecting a set back podium and more street level access. More light..(less building?) A Fortress comes to mind..

I totally agree that this is an absolute monster which seems rather overwhelming without being set back a bit but too early to tell. I was also just at the new Loblaws at Maple Leaf. Now that is Sobeys (at Bremner/Spadina) on major steroids although not as much of a meat market for single people. lol. It now seems like there is a race to be the biggest baddest whatever in town. I think Aura may take the cake.

^^^^ I feel that two of the three corners (not the Chelsea Delta one) will be developed by the end of this decade (2019).

With increasing retail and residential population in and around Yonge (which is obviously a good thing), the need for more sidewalk space along Yonge is becoming extremely obvious! I know there are plans/proposals to do that (right?) but I wonder how long before it happens? Can it happen by 2015 (Pan-Am games)? (I doubt it can happen in only 3 1/2 years as this is Toronto but one can always hope, right?)

I've read there is a plan by the local councillor (Kristyn Wong-Tam) to make Yonge Street just a 2 lane road and that's exactly what it needs. The sidewalks are already too crowded as it is and after all the development is finished, it will only get much worse.

Speaking of the 80s, it seems that many dislike PoMo and other 80s type buildings like the Atrium on Bay. I don't see what the big deal is. It's one style that had its time and that's it.

Absolutley. Sadly there are many that think it's cool to hate 80s PoMo, for fear of not being taken seriously by their peers. I'm not saying there weren't bad examples, but it's wrong to tarnish a whole era. Remember this was the decade that created one of Toronto's finest buildings, Scotia Plaza.

And you guys thought the podium was huge! Lol!

photo-1301.jpg

Yonge and Gerrard might give Yonge Dundas a run for its money in crowd control by summer.

Hmm.. are you suggesting Yonge/Gerrard (or College) should get a Scramble Intersection? I already think Yonge/College should have one, so maybe Aura will make a case for it!

^^^ Exactly! :) It's so cool that you mention Scotia Plaza because honestly, that is my favorite office tower in all of Canada! :)

Hmm.. are you suggesting Yonge/Gerrard (or College) should get a Scramble Intersection? I already think Yonge/College should have one, so maybe Aura will make a case for it!

Maybe, Maybe Not.

What I can say is, by summer Yonge and Gerrard should become one of the more interesting intersections on the downtown strip.

Back