Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

This was one of the places I used to play ball with my last dog at night before ROCP was built, I never really thought about it but I guess I presumed it was City property too. I don't mind the loss of park space so much, as long as they put some thought and money to beautify what's left and make better use of the space in there. Much of it is nice as is, albeit a little run down, but the space offers so much more potential.

SO much potential to be a great gathering spot, even home to a festival maybe?
Aslong as they don't do it a-la Nathan Phillips Sq.. (one of) the only things I agree w/ Rob Ford on re: wastes of money!
I really don't like N.P.Sq's plan *puke*

college park will be where it's at when Aura/everything is wrapped up... hopefully, way more people will be using the park space and add some life to it. i think they should add more tables/chairs to encourage that, as well as some public events of some sorts.

but man, it's gonna be sick with Aura, a massive 250m+ skyscraper, looming overhead, as well as the presence of other surrounding skyscrapers.. Bryant Park baby!!!!!!!!

college park will be where it's at when Aura/everything is wrapped up... hopefully, way more people will be using the park space and add some life to it. i think they should add more tables/chairs to encourage that, as well as some public events of some sorts.

but man, it's gonna be sick with Aura, a massive 250m+ skyscraper, looming overhead, as well as the presence of other surrounding skyscrapers.. Bryant Park baby!!!!!!!!

Just make sure you dont look south, or else you will see the Chelsea

Just make sure you dont look south, or else you will see the Chelsea

LOL!... that thing makes EVERYTHING else look better!... on the bright side, hopefully that proposal at Bay/Gerard might brighten things up. it'll still be visible past that condo tower on the north-east corner of bay and gerard from college park :)

Some pictures on the walk home yesterday.

img2012010400044.jpg

img2012010400045.jpg

img2012010400046.jpg

First, thanks Geekaroo for your photos.

Have driven by several times lately and it seems all too big! Rather like a "Monster" at street level. I was expecting a set back podium and more street level access. More light..(less building?) A Fortress comes to mind..

You're welcome.

When you get up close, there is a good 10 feet behind the hoarding. These will, in actuality be wide sidewalks. This should alleviate the fortress feeling. That, combined with (hopefully) well-lit ground level retail should lighten the load.

This building definitely has a dominating presence on the corner. I'm really interested to see how it turns out. I think I'll really like it, but it is bold, that's for sure. And putting aside the street-side perspective, I think there's much agreement that it's a great addition to the skyline.

Have driven by several times lately and it seems all too big! Rather like a "Monster" at street level. I was expecting a set back podium and more street level access. More light..(less building?) A Fortress comes to mind..

For the record, I'm not opposed at all to the Aura project as I think the location for a project like this is appropriate. That said, if you think this is overwhelming try to imagine what the 501 Yonge project will do to the street. The podium will be about 1/3rd longer and twice as high, with no setbacks.

I've always said that among the many mistakes made with 10 Dundas St E. was the lack of a highrise above like Aura - hotel, condos, apartments, office - whatever.

Back