Toronto Atrium on Bay Expansion | 114m | 34s | KingSett Capital | Hariri Pontarini

This is very true. While most of the new construction and renovations going on are for residential dwellings, there will be no boarders here as this is a commercial complex and probably always will be!

The thing is ugly as sin - there is absolutely no attempt to integrate it into the design of the tower (like the Eaton Centre screen). The blighting of Yonge and Dundas continues.

AoD

Looks like a portal for a black hole. Such an ugly, tacked-on thing.

Yeah, it's blight, alright. But that's to be expected for Yonge Street.

It will look entirely different when on. Not saying it will look good, mind you, just entirely different.

Hopefully the bigger billboards are the beginning, and we can see better quality signage and dynamic ads integrated better into existing buildings. If the money is there to do the advertising, then you have to think the money will be there to do it in an aesthetically pleasing manner.

My OCD is kicking in. The offset of this screen on the media tower is driving me absolutely insane! Centering it would have looked way better. The offset was fine when the ad was circular, but now with such a massive screen, it just looks awkward!

My OCD is kicking in. The offset of this screen on the media tower is driving me absolutely insane! Centering it would have looked way better. The offset was fine when the ad was circular, but now with such a massive screen, it just looks awkward!

I am glad I am not the only one who felt that way!

AoD

You never know, they may be planning the return of the beer can...

I like the fact that it isn't centred and that it is significantly larger with an overhang. I don't think subtle works here, and that's the whole point.

Gaudy displays for commercials and other advertising would be the norm. I don't see how this is any different or looks out-of-place by any means. Plus they still need to turn it ON.

It will look entirely different when on. Not saying it will look good, mind you, just entirely different.

Now what about the opposite side? Right now when walking south on Yonge (from Gerrard) you can see the back of the monster video screen. There has been no attempt, so far, to cover the edges or make it look decent. From previous experience, we know that the owners of this structure have no problem having the inside remain exposed from the sides but now with the bigger screen, it will also be exposed on the north facing side. Who in their right mind thinks having the back of this video screen exposed to the public, is a good thing? The neglect of the aesthetic details is just ridiculous.

This is something you will see only in Toronto. Why go through the effort to put up an expensive, massive video screen and then leave all the messy details exposed, looking so unprofessional? It just makes no sense and should not be allowed.

It's not finished yet. As to the sides being left open, it's an aesthetic that appears lost on you.

You're right, I see nothing of value in that cluttered, dirty, ugly mess behind those signs. (and I'd bet most people would agree) Yes, I know it's not finished, so I hope some improvements are coming.

For those who support the floor additions at the Atrium on Bay, take a look at these pictures I took this afternoon at 6pm; you can see that any floor addition would totally block out the sun at Dundas Square as early as 5pm.
I think that's what the real scandal is: taking away ordinary citizens' ability to enjoy a sunny at Dundas Square after work and allowing them to enjoy it only from 9 to 5.

image6.jpg
image5.jpg
image4.jpg
image3.jpg
image2.jpg
image1.jpg

Attachments

• image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 509
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg