Toronto Atrium on Bay Expansion | 114m | 34s | KingSett Capital | Hariri Pontarini

The Eaton Centre was designed in the high-tech industrial style. It's the area's main landmark, so it makes sense that it influences design in the area. The industrial aesthetic can't be an excuse to put up cheap crap, though, like at 10 Dundas St E. Nor do we necessarily have to do everything in that style.

Speaking of London, it has what's probably the greatest example of the style.

Framing is going like gangbusters, with the nice weather.. take a look at the difference compared to the other page..

Just crazy

13570545024_80250c3420_b.jpg

caltrane74 - photo

The only time they can really deliver materials is at night. Probably the busiest intersection in the country. Not easy to do.

The only time they can really deliver materials is at night. Probably the busiest intersection in the country. Not easy to do.

if they want to go for a centre of the country neon style, all they need to look at is the Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo.
The billboards at Dundas Square are really underwhelming.

if they want to go for a centre of the country neon style, all they need to look at is the Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo.

Times Square has more personality than Shibuya Crossing. They need to look at Times Square.

Times Square has more personality than Shibuya Crossing. They need to look at Times Square.

Times Square is more of a tourist trap (maybe that's what we aim for here too), while the Shibuya Crossing is where the local Japanese actually spend time dining, shopping and entertaining. It looks more futuristic and has a better vibe. New Yorkers hardly go to Times Square. Toronians do frequent Dundas Square for various events (a big one four days ago, LOL)

I myself enjoyed Shibuya way more than Times Square, although the latter is more famous. Times Square is worth an hour of visit, Shibuya a whole afternoon.

If they brought some actual neon lighting back to Yonge Street, that would be a good thing. At one time, Yonge Street was lined with wonderful neon lights but now they are all gone. The LG ad on this tower along with Sam's was one of the last to go. I miss the colourful, animated neon glow the street used to have. LED lighting just doesn't cut it for me, it has no soul. Yeah, we know, it's not good for the environment but it looks wonderful! I guess a monster video screen is better than nothing but this one is a bit ordinary. At least give us a few curves or ripples. (or a bit of neon just around the boarder)

Yeah, we know, it's not good for the environment but it looks wonderful!

Agree. A few neon signs at Dundas Square won't kill the environment. Japan with all gigantic energy gobbling street neon signs, probably produces 10% GHG of Canada's on a per capita level. If we want to cut evergy use, it is the car dependent and large house lifestyle that need to be changed. Changing some light bulbs sounds environmental friend but in reality does next to nothing in the big picture.

I am afraid we expect too much from this media tower. It will be essentially the same as before.

I myself enjoyed Shibuya way more than Times Square, although the latter is more famous. Times Square is worth an hour of visit, Shibuya a whole afternoon.
As did I. Shibuya (Crossing) felt like it was more a part of the community and a place that locals used and occupied, whereas I don't get that same feeling from Times Square. But for Shibuya, other than the feeding train station, there was also a lot more in the back alleys that were fed by, and feed into, Shibuya Crossing. That said, Dundas Square is neither one of these, but if I had to choose between the two for D.S. to take its cues from it'd be Shibuya for me.

The new screen appears to be about 70% complete. It's already larger than the curved screen on 10 Dundas E.

Back