Toronto Atrium on Bay Expansion | 114m | 34s | KingSett Capital | Hariri Pontarini

^^ I don't understand why they don't make the signs and the video screen larger, so that they cover the stairs on the left. The sides of this structure should also be covered, so you can't see all the inside clutter. It's a simple thing to do to make it look more professional and yet these companies and the city, never pay attention to the details. The same problem happens at Metropolis, with the metal and hardware, clearly visible behind the video screen. Why don't we pay more attention to the details in this city?

agreed completely
I fuss about details as well and this seems like a major oversight and something one would shake their head at "you're doing it wrong"

Exposing the 'clutter' was / is a calculated move. It was designed that way to lend the structure an air of 'high tech' which I quite enjoy.

I was expecting something a lot larger too.

The video screen will be a lot larger, don't worry. Take a look at the rendering from the file with the city.

urbantoronto-9367-32638.jpg

I'm sure they will be working on completing the screen for a good while before it's totally complete.

The video screen will be a lot larger, don't worry. Take a look at the rendering from the file with the city.

I'm sure they will be working on completing the screen for a good while before it's totally complete.

Thanks. The huge video screen will be an improvement. I do miss the old round LG neon sign.

Thanks. The huge video screen will be an improvement. I do miss the old round LG neon sign.

I always wonder why the LG sign in the circle was so iconic, similar to the Coke sign in times square. Was it because it was the first sign up? Was it because it was perfectly symmetrical? Who knows.

I always wonder why the LG sign in the circle was so iconic, similar to the Coke sign in times square. Was it because it was the first sign up? Was it because it was perfectly symmetrical? Who knows.

Maybe it was the neon? I find neon light is more aesthetically pleasing. Times Square and Vegas have replaced the old neon signs with LED and video screens. It's just too bright. Neon had a warmer glow that looked better a night.

March 07
They are framing to the round section to Sq it

13042614365_5bba107379_b.jpg

Look how ugly the side of this thing is. It's completely exposed to everyone walking on Yonge Street. How can anyone think this dark, dirty, mass of wires, metal rods and exposed electronic parts, is attractive? Why would the city not order Clear Channel to cover up that junk and try to make this media tower actually look attractive? Do our city officials have some kind of eversion to beauty? It's not a matter of money, as it would cost next to nothing to do a cheap cover up. It's just a matter of paying attention to details and actually giving a crap. It is really discouraging for someone who wants to see this city care about how it looks.

Last edited:
I don't want to be an apologist for the exposed beam design, but from the upper levels of 10 Dundas East when the media towers in the square are back lit with white light the structures do give off a futuristic and sleek look. In addition to to the flashing video screens it does have a blade runner vibe. No excuse, I do prefer to enclosed signage and billboards you have in New York's Times Square or London's Piccadilly Circus.

New York and London can only dream of being cool and edgy, (and cheap) like us. I guess they're not sophisticated enough to appreciate the cluttered, industrial aesthetic. You guys are too much!

Oh yeah, because in New York and London there isn't a single piece of exposed steel visible in the entire city at ground level. :rolleyes:

Get over yourself, your opinion isn't the only valid one. Some people like nopacnone, ProjectEnd and myself happen to like the industrial and high tech feel this kind of steel exoskeleton structure gives.

Some people like nopacnone, ProjectEnd and myself happen to like the industrial and high tech feel this kind of steel exoskeleton structure gives.

add me to that list.

Right, you must also like the poles, overhead wires and transformers around town:eek:

Nope. The two are entirely different. If we had hundreds of these towers all over downtown, I'd agree with you, in the same way if we had just one industrial looking pole with transformers and such, I might view it as art.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, because in New York and London there isn't a single piece of exposed steel visible in the entire city at ground level. :rolleyes:

Get over yourself, your opinion isn't the only valid one. Some people like nopacnone, ProjectEnd and myself happen to like the industrial and high tech feel this kind of steel exoskeleton structure gives.

High tech? It looks more low tech to me.

Back