Toronto Atrium on Bay Expansion | 114m | 34s | KingSett Capital | Hariri Pontarini

My understanding is that the "agreement" between the Atrium and 633 Bay has been deemed spurious by the Atrium's lawyers, and that they're basically going to proceed and let the 633 Bay corporation file all the paperwork it wants because none of it can amount to anything anyway. And this is going to proceed fast. This was always intended to have an extension, and when the building first went up they left stubbies on the roof to accept the next set of columns. In theory they could start erecting steel up there tomorrow, at least from an engineering perspective. I won't be surprised at all if this tops out by the end of 2014.

Atrium would be ill-advised to proceed with the construction before the decision has been heard by the OMB. Do you really think that 633 bay st management will stay idle if Atrium starts putting up cranes before the OMB hearing?

We've been down this road before. The City approved it back in 2012 so there is nothing new here.

All the city lawyer is saying and has said all along is that it is required to review and make a decision when it receives an application.

If the OMB rules for Atrium, then it is what it is and life goes on. But I seriously doubt it will because the agreement is iron-clad

Last edited:
If it was iron-clad why would they have left the stubbies on the roof? I was told the agreement amounted to little more than a gentleman's agreement between the developers, and didn't bind the actual owners in any way. One way or the other, we'll know when the crane shows up. But they're definitely already talking to subtrades, and preliminary drawings are out.

Nice to see an upgrading of the media tower ahead of this project. Hopefully the new screen and its content will be of significantly higher calibre that what currently exists in the Yonge-Dundas area. When comparing to similar districts in other major cities (ie. Times Square, Piccadilly Circus), the media delivery at Yonge-Dundas is in all honesty starting to look quite dated by about a decade (screams mid-2000's). Not that i'm advocating the emulating of Times Square or Piccadilly here in Toronto, but the media in those districts has noticeably evolved towards much higher definition displays with more fluid transitioned graphics that are much easier on the eyes, as opposed to the fast-paced, obnoxious 'movie trailer/commercial' type ads dominating Yonge and Dundas. Too many of these combined and it all starts to get a bit jarring and tacky. (As if 10 Dundas East across the street isn't bad enough as is.)

Piccadilly 2013: http://youtu.be/rlEZlucf5WA

Last edited:
Was out doing my regular Aura Construction Update and I noticed work is back on for the new massive digital display board over the Yonge and Dundas Intersection.

Exciting Times....

12684514223_41d93ece73_b.jpg

Aura would have almost looked alright if the balconies and rectangular profiles didn't exist. The cylindrical center, on its own, with high quality glazing could have been really nice.

Last edited:
Likely it's the board of the condo across the street appealing the City's approval to the OMB.

^^ I don't understand why they don't make the signs and the video screen larger, so that they cover the stairs on the left. The sides of this structure should also be covered, so you can't see all the inside clutter. It's a simple thing to do to make it look more professional and yet these companies and the city, never pay attention to the details. The same problem happens at Metropolis, with the metal and hardware, clearly visible behind the video screen. Why don't we pay more attention to the details in this city?

^^ I don't understand why they don't make the signs and the video screen larger, so that they cover the stairs on the left. The sides of this structure should also be covered, so you can't see all the inside clutter. It's a simple thing to do to make it look more professional and yet these companies and the city, never pay attention to the details. The same problem happens at Metropolis, with the metal and hardware, clearly visible behind the video screen. Why don't we pay more attention to the details in this city?

agreed completely
I fuss about details as well and this seems like a major oversight and something one would shake their head at "you're doing it wrong"

I know they're not finished yet but that looks terrible. It's just another generic screen, and much smaller than what I had expected. Yet another missed opportunity for something unique. A round display to replace the LG sign would have been much more interesting and would have created opportunities for creative forms of advertising.

Back