Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Families for whom "a massive house out in the burbs with a big backyard to boot" smacks of pinheaded philistinism with Thomas Kinkade taste.
Using the term philistine to describe another person wreaks of insecurity.

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark (or really, not) and guess you have no family living in your current dwelling?

My family has a 5 bedroom house. I notice those 3-bedroom condos are about 1000 sq ft. How can anyone live in that? My house is 3400, I think I'd get claustrophobic with a big family and a tiny home like that. But that's just me.

Half century ago many people were living in family homes of 800 to 1,000 square feet (the difference being that they were not priced equal to 300 Front St.).

Whereas using "wreaks" where the correct word is "reeks" reeks of, oh I don't know, not being ideally placed to criticize others' vocabulary?

For $700k you can buy a house in the Junction, Ossington/Dupont area or even (gasp) parts of Bathurst/Lawrence West area.

These 3 bedroom units will likely be rented out to young professionals willing to live in roomie situations--three 20-something women working on Bay St, perhaps?

That might be partially true but I have many friends with 3 bedroom suites that utilize one as a guest and the other as an office.

Adam Vaughan's 3-Bedroom rant is indeed about families but also about economic diversity within the City core. It's a good thing to have these big units regardless of what is in them, as it takes big money to buy them. You can't have a building full of 1 bedrooms and if left alone, the developers would do just - build a monoculture because they make more money.

Solaris posted this over in the real estate forum... but I thought it was somewhat relevant here to some discussion:

These prices are downright outrageous. Adam Vaughn and his quest to get families to move into his ward has demanded some of these 3 bedroom units for example. But as I said in the other forum, what family in their right mind would spend nearly $700,000 for a tiny 3 bedroom unit to stuff their family in when they could get a massive house out in the burbs with a big backyard to boot.

Anyway ignoring the 3 bedroom units... even the rest seem quite high. I'm not one to predict the collapse of the housing market, but even I feel buying at these prices at this time is a bit of a gamble.

I didn't post this info on this thread thinking it might have been 'inappropriate' ... didn't want to be DINGED by UT

anyhow speaking on prices YES indded prices are HIGH in the typical units given the size of units offered, and I think the floorplan layouts are POOR ~ on the other hand, I was a little suprised that the most expensive unit was just under $700,000 for 1144 sq.ft., which seems lower than other projects in the downtown core, my guess is the location (being next to a major hydro transformer) had a huge factor in the pricing ... or maybe its just me

I remember Madison Lofts, great conversion project in the Annex area, beautiful units, however the building is next to a major Hydro Transformer. The developer have had a hard time selling these units, the project was launched more than 2 years ago and there are still unit for sale today. When I went to see the projet in 2006 they were selling 550 sq ft for $170.000, after one year and a half the same unit was in sale for $171.000. Beautiful units but who wants to live next to a Hydro Transformer???

The proposed new development by Great Gulf on the south side of Charles Street East is also right beside a hydro station (though a much smaller one).

which (stupid) family would pay $600k+ for a tiny 3 bedroom apartment to raise their "family" in, when they could get a huge house with a backyard out in the burbs...

a condo is no place to raise a family. especially not at those prices. adam vaughn doesnt seem to realize this.

Me?

Now I bought ten years back in an 80's building so it was 1,300 sq feet and much less than $600k. We don't have a car and both me an my wife walk to work. Day care is the same. We live above a 24 hour grocery store, the local mall is the Eaton Centre (again a short walk) and the the subway is a block away. So I don't have a backyard (no grass to cut) or a driveway (no snow to clean). And instead of spending an hour or two commuting every day I get to spend it with my two year old (with the second on the way). And my two year loves hanging out in the city. Hell even Cherry Beach is just a 10 minute bus ride if we need nature.

Very stupid indeed.

Can these things not be built underground? I mean, that's some pretty expensive real estate. Could the city not sell or lease the land to a developer with the condition that they'd have to include a sub-basement level where the hydro station would be built? Line the floor with led to relieve the fears of potential tenants and we're good.

In alternative, build it below ground with a park or even a city P parking facility on top.

Charlie is at Charlotte and King. jmacmillan is referring to a new condo proposed across the street from X at Charles and Jarvis.

Me?

Now I bought ten years back in an 80's building so it was 1,300 sq feet and much less than $600k. We don't have a car and both me an my wife walk to work. Day care is the same. We live above a 24 hour grocery store, the local mall is the Eaton Centre (again a short walk) and the the subway is a block away. So I don't have a backyard (no grass to cut) or a driveway (no snow to clean). And instead of spending an hour or two commuting every day I get to spend it with my two year old (with the second on the way). And my two year loves hanging out in the city. Hell even Cherry Beach is just a 10 minute bus ride if we need nature.

Very stupid indeed.

Good for you Ed!
I am just blown away at times from some of the inane comments I read here by the same individuals who try to appear ever so urban but really don't have a clue.
Having spent quite a bit of time in Manhattan over the years, I am always so delighted to see families raising their families comfortably in a rich urban enviroment. Toronto is slowly figuring it out. It truly is not about how big a house you can own in suburbia or whether you have a backyard(which is usually deserted 99% of the time.) People are waking up to the the fact that the quality of life for families can be far superior in the city than in the suburbs.

And look at it this way, if you wanna grouse about Toronto not suiting the "huge house with a backyard" family ideal, you might as well grouse about Toronto not suiting some kind of Stockwell Day/James Dobson family ideal, either...

As posted in the Real Estate thread ... typical floorplates for 300 ... there are there are 14 units per (lower) floor and 12 units per (upper) floor in the tower and 10 loft units per floor in the 16 storeys wing which flanks the hydro transformer serviced by 2 elevators, although the loft and tower structures are attached outside, the internal corridors and lobby(s) are not connected except on the 'rec centre' level (and probably connected in the u/g parking)...

Lofts

Tower

Yesterday, there where a few sales people going door to door (to retail) and stopping people on the street during the Jays game, attempting to sell this project. I have never seen such crass tactics before. These sales people were asking staffers/vendors who make $10/hr which suite they wanted.

Back