Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Great Looking,Makes me wonder why this building was downsized,the original height was to be aprox 190 meters which would have made it really stand out.
Seems like every proposed tower height in Toronto is rejected by the city.On
approval they are usually reduced from 5-10 storeys.

Great Looking,Makes me wonder why this building was downsized,the original height was to be aprox 190 meters which would have made it really stand out.
Seems like every proposed tower height in Toronto is rejected by the city.On
approval they are usually reduced from 5-10 storeys.

They should start out higher off the bat then - propose 75 storeys in order to get a guaranteed 65 ;)

Really great looking building.

Hopefully all the "Tri-dull" jokes will begin to wane... because this one is yummy, and "Tridel-icious".

Indeed, I've been quick to pull out the "Tres-Dull" before, but this project looks anything but.

Wonderful shiny happy glossy renderings. I like.

Solaris posted this over in the real estate forum... but I thought it was somewhat relevant here to some discussion:

These prices are downright outrageous. Adam Vaughn and his quest to get families to move into his ward has demanded some of these 3 bedroom units for example. But as I said in the other forum, what family in their right mind would spend nearly $700,000 for a tiny 3 bedroom unit to stuff their family in when they could get a massive house out in the burbs with a big backyard to boot.

Anyway ignoring the 3 bedroom units... even the rest seem quite high. I'm not one to predict the collapse of the housing market, but even I feel buying at these prices at this time is a bit of a gamble.

But as I said in the other forum, what family in their right mind would spend nearly $700,000 for a tiny 3 bedroom unit to stuff their family in when they could get a massive house out in the burbs with a big backyard to boot.
This may come as a surprise to you, but the typical suburban lifestyle absolutely disgusts some people. It's not for everyone.

For $700k you can buy a house in the Junction, Ossington/Dupont area or even (gasp) parts of Bathurst/Lawrence West area.

These 3 bedroom units will likely be rented out to young professionals willing to live in roomie situations--three 20-something women working on Bay St, perhaps?

This may come as a surprise to you, but the typical suburban lifestyle absolutely disgusts some people. It's not for everyone.
I realize that. But most of those people are naive urbanites who don't have a family. I would guess 90+% of people living in condos in this ward are single young professionals, with some DINK's (dual income no kids) thrown in.

For $700k you can buy a house in the Junction, Ossington/Dupont area or even (gasp) parts of Bathurst/Lawrence West area.

These 3 bedroom units will likely be rented out to young professionals willing to live in roomie situations--three 20-something women working on Bay St, perhaps?
You're probably correct. I was just pointing out however that Adam Vaughn was insisting these buildings be built with 3 bedroom units to attract families. In reality, it will never happen.

well the Toronto Condo market really doesn't cater to families at all, I looked into alot of the condo developments for a good sized 5 bedroom unit, and it seems practically impossible to find!

3 bedrooms is adequate for one person.. a room for guests, and a spare room to do with as you please.. perhaps a gift wrapping room!

^ Or for an author, a library/study? Of course, any self-respecting mad scientist would want their own lab space, convenient to their living area.

Got a rendering of the parkette form the 300 part of Tridel's website. Its certainly been scaled back from Claude Cormier's original plan when it was on the west side of the building. I've attached rendering of both the original and the current one.

Attachments

• 27_01_img_1.jpg
    27_01_img_1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 210
  • park_800.jpg
    park_800.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 233
300 Front strikes me as a rare kind of project...the kind that Chicago would build along Lake Shore (only it would be 5 floors taller).

Let's hope Tridel's period of aesthetic regeneration isn't one step forward, two steps back...

But as I said in the other forum, what family in their right mind would spend nearly $700,000 for a tiny 3 bedroom unit to stuff their family in when they could get a massive house out in the burbs with a big backyard to boot.

Families for whom "a massive house out in the burbs with a big backyard to boot" smacks of pinheaded philistinism with Thomas Kinkade taste.

And why you aren't considering the middle ground of, well, older nabes in Toronto, I dunno...seem to see a lot of the baby-carriage crowd around Roncy, etc...

I look forward to watching that TV show :p

My family has a 5 bedroom house. I notice those 3-bedroom condos are about 1000 sq ft. How can anyone live in that? My house is 3400, I think I'd get claustrophobic with a big family and a tiny home like that. But that's just me.

Back