News   Jul 22, 2024
 517     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 615     0 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

On the fantasy side - it would be really amazing if we can get Shigeru Ban to design the temporary and permanent venues - his use of wood (glulam) and paper is very, very Canadian.

AoD

Last edited:
I doubt you can have the latter arrangement - Quebec City is the one aiming for that I believe, not Montreal. As to the joint summer bid - it sounds like more trouble than it's worth and why share the limelight and dilute the benefit to us when we'd have to incur probably the majority of the cost anyways? You know Toronto will end up being the second fiddle once Montreal is involved.

AoD

Unless they've grown a mountain, there's no place in Quebec to run the men's downhill. IIRC, even Tremblant is not high enough.

I doubt you can have the latter arrangement - Quebec City is the one aiming for that I believe, not Montreal. As to the joint summer bid - it sounds like more trouble than it's worth and why share the limelight and dilute the benefit to us when we'd have to incur probably the majority of the cost anyways? You know Toronto will end up being the second fiddle once Montreal is involved.

AoD
Maybe 20 years ago... Montreal? Where's that again??

Maybe 20 years ago... Montreal? Where's that again??

Only true if you are just looking at importance from a world-system perspective. Montreal will always be this relatively exotic attention getter to an international audience. You definitely don't want them to upstage us.

AoD

A couple billion can build you a nice mountain, no?

I think someone has put around the idea of adding a couple hundred meters or so to Le Massif, I believe.

On that front, the one absolute major cluster**** with the Calgary Olympics was Nakiska. Terrible Olympic mountain when Lake Louise was right there. Building a nice new hill twenty minutes closer to Calgary killed family-run Fortress. The ski jumps were brutal, but Nakiska was a government boondoggle that actually killed a local business. Very nice golf courses, though.

Only true if you are just looking at importance from a world-system perspective. Montreal will always be this relatively exotic attention getter to an international audience. You definitely don't want them to upstage us.

AoD
I wouldn't worry - they're well past their prime.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ioc-release-proposals-bidding-reforms-095117684--oly.html

With the IOC warming up to joint city bids, what would be the feasibility of a joint Toronto-Montreal Summer Olympics? Or Toronto-Montreal x Tremblant Winter Olympics? A high speed rail corridor could cut the travel time to 3 hours.

What about the joint Toronto-Mississauga-Brampton-Oshawa Summer Olympics? Should also take 3 hours to go from a venue in Oshawa to another venue in Brampton.

I'd definitely support a Toronto-Mississauga-Oakville-Hamilton bid, provided that an electrified Lakeshore West GO line is built, with 15 minute, 2-way, all day service to connect the venues. Toronto can make use of the Portlands, Mississauga can make use of Lakeview (or the Imperial Oil lands in Port Credit) and Hamilton can use it to kick start their waterfront.

In addition to GO service, a temporary ferry service would be able to connect all the venues!

I think LSW/LSE Electrification is pretty much all but certain by that timeframe. It's a given that some venues would be located in the 905 - but I am not sure if you want the core events to be overly spread out. Unfortunately the siting of most venues in the listed municipalities aren't close to any GO station.

AoD

I think LSW/LSE Electrification is pretty much all but certain by that timeframe. It's a given that some venues would be located in the 905 - but I am not sure if you want the core events to be overly spread out. Unfortunately the siting of most venues in the listed municipalities aren't close to any GO station.

AoD

Long Branch, Port Credit are within walking distance of Lakeview and the Imperial Oil site. The Hurontario LRT should be built by then and could be extended either way to connect the GO station to the venues (Both sites are on Mississauga's radar for terminating the LRT eventually). Hamilton should also have its LRT built, and can push for an extension to their waterfront, which would be another boon for their waterfront plans.

I cant think of any other sites in the 905 with more potential than these.

Long Branch, Port Credit are within walking distance of Lakeview and the Imperial Oil site. The Hurontario LRT should be built by then and could be extended either way to connect the GO station to the venues (Both sites are on Mississauga's radar for terminating the LRT eventually). Hamilton should also have its LRT built, and can push for an extension to their waterfront, which would be another boon for their waterfront plans.

I cant think of any other sites in the 905 with more potential than these.

Sure, except what are you going to put there? The Olympic/Media Village? Not likely - those are usually much closer to the main Olympic site, which is also likely going to contain the stadium and aquatic complex, and that's normally next door to the press centre (the IBC is usually at a preexisting venue like MTCC). Considering other available spaces (e.g. National Trade Centre, Rogers Centre, ACC, Allstream, etc) you aren't left with much need for anything but secondary sites for qualifiers and temporary venues for events like shooting, whatnot. Perhaps you'd get things like Sailing at PC, but then why locate it there if you can do that smack in the Inner Harbour (with a skyline of the Toronto as backdrop)?

AoD

Last edited:
Sure, except what are you going to put there? The Olympic/Media Village? Not likely - those are usually much closer to the main Olympic site, which is also likely going to contain the stadium and aquatic complex, which is also going to be close to the broadcast centre/press centre. Considering other available spaces (e.g. MTCC, National Trade Centre, etc) you aren't left with much need for anything but temporary venues.

AoD

The point would be to spread the venues out though (If the IOC is going to allow venues outside of the host country, venues outside of Toronto will not be an issue), not cluster them together. Temporary venues don't need to be temporary. The buildings can be repurposed as community centres afterwards. Toronto's 2008 bid consisted of 3 different clusters within the core. It could essentially be the same, but spread out between Toronto and Hamilton instead of simply in the core.

Back