News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 819     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

The field of play is almost identical (100 metres for Rubgy League compared to 100.6 metres for Canadian Football. But the end zones are much bigger, being a minimum of 6 metres for Rugby League compared to 18.2 metres for Canadian Football. So a minimum Rugby League pitch can be 112 metres compared to about 137 metres for Canadian Football. However, York plays Union doesn't it rather than league, which doesn't have a minimum dimension. BMO is only 105 metres long. 110 metres long if you include the goals, and they've had no problem playing Rugby Union there.

Though where will the York soccer team be playing?

League and Union pitches are basically the same size. The length of the end zone doesn't really matter since there are no forward passes (it does matter a little as you can grubber kick into the box and attempt to beat the defenders to touch down the ball), but 6m is plenty. I played a match at De La Salle (sp?) on Avenue Road once where there was a concrete berm for the track about 2m in from the try line in the corners -- almost broke an elbow trying to touch down! -- but the pitch was otherwise more than suitable, despite the short end zone.

torontoaquatic.jpg
We also have this rendering:

Attachments

• torontoaquatic.jpg
    torontoaquatic.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 199
Apparently I spke with someone I work with at York University and the current track facility will be demolished for the subway extension.

Thanks for the tip ChesterCopperpot but I think it will be very similar.

All three bidders have similar designs to the renderings that were posted.

However - they all also show the MTTC as part of the site. There were a number of tracks around the city that were due upgrades (resurfacing etc) - Centennial, Birchmount and MTTC were some of those.

And sorry for posting the renderings on SSC without giving you credit

They might have to find a new stadium if Rogers decides to put in a grass field anyways.
i think that's a red herring. The Edmonton Inuit played on grass for years. There's only about 6 Argos games a year at Skydome before baseball season ends. If the NFL can play on grass pitches that have other uses, I'm sure the owner of the Argos isn't going to move out of Rogers because of that. Now, they might make a lot of noise that's the reason, while the real reason, is that they are too cheap to pay the rent, once their grandfathered sweetheart deal ends after this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Argos leave the dome, and also that grass wouldn't be installed.

Some more information on the Hamilton Stadium - they are rotating the orientation of Ivor Wynne from East-West to North-South

http://www.hamiltonnews.com/uncategorized/board-land-deal-paves-way-for-north-south-pan-am-stadium/

The Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board has agreed to transfer ownership of a parking lot by Ivor Wynne Stadium to the city to allow for construction of a new Pan Am Games stadium on a north-south axis.

Trustees emerged from a closed-door session on Monday to direct staff to enter into negotiations to hand over the 0.9-acre lot, located at the northeast corner of Melrose Avenue North and Cannon Street East.

In return, the city is being asked to provide an equivalent number of parking spots to the board at the Pan Am site "in perpetuity" once the stadium is built.
Board chair Tim Simmons said afterwards the deal, which still requires Ministry of Education approval, is necessary because the 22,000-seat stadium can't be built as planned without the lot, which serves Prince of Wales school across the street.

Ivor Wynne is built on an east-west axis and the new one will be north-south, he said.

The deal appears to confirm longstanding rumours of a change in the stadium's orientation. City officials have been sworn to secrecy on the design's details.

"They're going to shift it. I don't know how it fits into the structure, but from what I understand, the way they've got the stadium designed they can't build it without that piece of land," Simmons said.

"The school board definitely does not want to hold up the Pan Am stadium," he said. "We're sort of saying, 'Here's the land and you're gonna give us parking lots in the future, once the stadium's done.' It shows cooperation with the city."

Simmons said the deal will likely see temporary parking for the 100 or so displaced cars provided at Jimmy Thompson Pool, located at the northwest corner of King Street East and Balsam Avenue North.

i think that's a red herring. The Edmonton Inuit played on grass for years. There's only about 6 Argos games a year at Skydome before baseball season ends. If the NFL can play on grass pitches that have other uses, I'm sure the owner of the Argos isn't going to move out of Rogers because of that. Now, they might make a lot of noise that's the reason, while the real reason, is that they are too cheap to pay the rent, once their grandfathered sweetheart deal ends after this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Argos leave the dome, and also that grass wouldn't be installed.
You might be right, but I wonder if Rogers when turn around and charge the Argos for maintenance to the grass, since football chews it up quite a bit, which again leads back to the rent/cost issue. Additionally, I think we could see grass there within the next 5 years as they've apparently looked into installing it already. One of the issues is drainage and the other is ensuring that the grass gets the light it needs. There are types of grass that do well without direct sunlight, but the drainage issue will take a fair bit of work given it's a solid cement floor under the field (which according to Keith Law contains a lot of wiring as well).

They won't. That will completely take away all multi-use of it. No football, concerts, monster truck rallies, etc.
You do realize that Roger Waters just played Fenway Park on the weekend right? They had the Dropkick Murphys and New Kids on the Block play there recently as well. On top of that they've had the Winter Classic, and a number of soccer games (Liverpool and AS Roma are playing there in a few weeks). Grass doesn't eliminate the ability to host these events at all.

Back