229     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

3 years to the day of the opening of the games

Yea! Ready for the Games!

They're coming!! Hundreds of them....

19th+Commonwealth+Games+Day+9+Rhythmic+Gymnastics+hE1pLkhXBkRl.jpg

Of if you prefer...

Adam+Van+Koeverden+Olympics+Day+10+Canoe+Kayak+mi-2gUCp3y7l.jpg

Just wondering about the soccer events at the games. There's 48 games to be played in just 10 days.

Are they going to use natural or artificial turf?

Just wondering about the soccer events at the games. There's 48 games to be played in just 10 days.

48 games? Have they expanded it - there was only 32 games in 2011. Which was in one stadium on artificial turf.

Either way though ... one has to think it must be artificial ... but I haven't seen anything official said. They won't even publicly say which way the stadium is facing yet ... let alone the surface.

The soccer is going to be played at Varsity Stadium, Ivor Wynne BMO Field. Ivor Wynne and Varsity Stadium are both artificial turf and BMO Field is Kentucky bluegrass, so both.

48 games? Have they expanded it - there was only 32 games in 2011. Which was in one stadium on artificial turf.

Either way though ... one has to think it must be artificial ... but I haven't seen anything official said. They won't even publicly say which way the stadium is facing yet ... let alone the surface.

Yeah - the Hamilton spec says up to 48 games - see link below

The soccer is going to be played at Varsity Stadium, Ivor Wynne BMO Field. Ivor Wynne and Varsity Stadium are both artificial turf and BMO Field is Kentucky bluegrass, so both.

All the soccer is at Ivor Wynne (see link) - and it's bang in the middle of the CFL season.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/a...pan-am-soccer-but-volleyball-is-up-in-the-air

I can't imagine them bringing in natural turf - but then again - I can't imagine them wanting to play games with the CFL markings on the turf - so something has to give.

That was the original plan .. it changed.

Yeah - the Hamilton spec says up to 48 games - see link below
So it does. One of the Hamilton Spectator articles in the last couple of weeks clearly said 32 games. But I can't find that article again ... and who knows how accurate the information is.

Either way, surely 3-4 games a day for day after day is too much for a grass pitch. Particularly one that relatively new, that they haven't got the hang of maintaining yet.

I can't see them bringing in temporary grass. That wouldn't last very well for that many games, for that long. Artficial turf was fine in Mexico, and it was fine for the U-20 World Cup in Toronto back in 2007 ... so I'm going to predict that's what they get. Wish it was grass though ...

Last edited:

Back