News   Jul 17, 2024
 573     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 647     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

I thought some of the events would be held on the EX grounds / ontario place ?

I think the sports being held at the Ex are all either in existing facilities (Ricoh, BMO, Direct Energy) or are to be held on 100% temporary facilities. There are no permanent structures required.

5,000 permanent so that grandstand only. It will seat I believe 12,500 or 15,000 for the games.

Thanks.......it looks nice. Looking forward to watching some Track and Field in a few years! Not sure why we are/would be in a rush to take down the temp bleachers. Even if they don't get used that often it makes for a better looking facility.

Any idea if the infield will be big enough for things like football or soccer?

Not quite near Rexall (see attachment)

Circle = Rexall

Rectangle = location of stadium

Again, thanks. For some reason I thought it was gonna be right on Steeles...essntially turning the existing outdoor track at the track and field centre into a stadium.....I guess not!

It makes far more sense that it be near the track and field centre than near Rexall....this way the athletes competing at the stadium can use the existing facilities for training/practice/warmup/cooldown/rehab!

I should say that the rendering for the stadium on the previous page is the "indicative design" that was issued to the three consortiums who are bidding on the three stadia (Soccer, Athletics and Velodrome) and it's not a final design by any means.

The winning team - and designs is due to be announced on September 26th.

It's not big enough for football

Must be tight for rugby, then, there really is not much difference in the fields!
The field of play is almost identical (100 metres for Rubgy League compared to 100.6 metres for Canadian Football. But the end zones are much bigger, being a minimum of 6 metres for Rugby League compared to 18.2 metres for Canadian Football. So a minimum Rugby League pitch can be 112 metres compared to about 137 metres for Canadian Football. However, York plays Union doesn't it rather than league, which doesn't have a minimum dimension. BMO is only 105 metres long. 110 metres long if you include the goals, and they've had no problem playing Rugby Union there.

Though where will the York soccer team be playing?

To be honest I'm not sure - any plans I have seen have the infield set out for rugby.

You can fit a football field inside a track arrangement though - Varsity Centre has that

Though where will the York soccer team be playing?

I believe the current York stadium is due some renovation works - well at least there were plans to do so

Apparently I spke with someone I work with at York University and the current track facility will be demolished for the subway extension.

Thanks for the tip ChesterCopperpot but I think it will be very similar.

Back