News   Jul 17, 2024
 542     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 639     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Sorry, just jumping in here late. If Brampton is declining to participate in TO2015 for Baseball/Softball, why are these sports not happening at the SkyDome, the region's (country's) best purpose built baseball stadium located 5 minutes from the Athlete's Village?

Sorry, just jumping in here late. If Brampton is declining to participate in TO2015 for Baseball/Softball, why are these sports not happening at the SkyDome, the region's (country's) best purpose built baseball stadium located 5 minutes from the Athlete's Village?

For one scheduling against the Jays. For two the cost to turn the lights and A/C on at the Rogers Centre is about $40,000 per hour.

Maybe if Canada was playing the US in the final but for the rest of the time it would be a cavernous money pit.

To be clear, Brampton is declining the financial risk of having the game's contribution capped at $7mil (why?) And having a deadline of June 15 to apply....meaning they would have to blindly commit municipal funds for the balance of funds.....over $40mil!

To be clear, Brampton is declining the financial risk of having the game's contribution capped at $7mil (why?) And having a deadline of June 15 to apply....meaning they would have to blindly commit municipal funds for the balance of funds.....over $40mil!

TOareaFan is bang on for this one...

The Jays won't be in Toronto for the duration of the Games. The Rogers Center is the ceremonies venue that is why its not being used. It would be hard to convert the stadium from ceremony-baseball-ceremony. Its just a cost saving issue + a legacy creator for the city that gets the games.

Any idea where in exhibition place the different sports will be held?

Here is a partial list of what looks to be the venues at Exhibition place/Ontario Place

1) Molson Amphitheatre - Weightlifting
2) Beach volleyball - temporary stadium in the parking lot just south of BMO Field
3) BMO Field - Rugby
4) Ricoh Colisuem - Volleyball
5) Triathlon/Road cycling/ Open Water swimming - water course / road course
6) Racquetball/Squash/Speed roller sports/Gymnastics - Direct Energy centre
7) Water skiing/Wakeboarding - Ontario Place

The Jays won't be in Toronto for the duration of the Games.

You think MLB has set the schedule 3 years ahead?

Yeah - unless the games corp has huge compensation pockets for lost revenue for displacing games the Panam Games are paying Rogers for every moment they use the Rogers Centre - outside of when MLB says they are allowed to rent it out - which hasn't been set yet. MLB has first rights of use,

In the bid book it says the the Blue Jays will go on a extended road trip.

I am sure that was/is their (PanAm games committee) intention/hope. Of course there are a lot of things in that bid book (like all bid books) that have been amended so that, in and of itself, is no guarantee that it will be so.

In the bid book it says the the Blue Jays will go on a extended road trip.
The games are only scheduled to last 16 days. A 2-week road trip isn't unusual.

Not sure why people are making an issue about something like this ... think kind of thing has occurred time and time again at various MLB stadiums over the last century or so. Heck, we even moved a previously scheduled homestand out-of-town here at the last minute, so the PM could throw a party ... I bet MLB has "rules" against that too ...

The games are only scheduled to last 16 days. A 2-week road trip isn't unusual.

Not sure why people are making an issue about something like this ... think kind of thing has occurred time and time again at various MLB stadiums over the last century or so. Heck, we even moved a previously scheduled homestand out-of-town here at the last minute, so the PM could throw a party ... I bet MLB has "rules" against that too ...

Did a anyone say this was against MLB "rules"? I saw someone say the Jays would like demand compensation for vacating for a few weeks.

Did a anyone say this was against MLB "rules"? I saw someone say the Jays would like demand compensation for vacating for a few weeks.

I would think the Jays having two weeks+ on the road would be a hassle to schedule but the trade off would be a huge advantage if they negotiated to have the home games made up and played something like the entire month of September at home - which would be awesome if they were in the pennant race.

I would think the Jays having two weeks+ on the road would be a hassle to schedule but the trade off would be a huge advantage if they negotiated to have the home games made up and played something like the entire month of September at home - which would be awesome if they were in the pennant race.

It is not a big deal, really. The nature of baseball (ie. playing 3 and 4 game series in each city you visit) means that even in a "normal" season there are lengthy road trips already. This year is only about 1/3 over and the Jays have already had one road trip that lasted 10 days (May 3 to 13). There will be 2 or 3 more of those this season. So, really, you are only talking about having two of those trips combined together and you have 20 days on the road (the 16 days of the games and 2 days on either side) if it is needed for the Jays to be away.

The bigger issue is likely the cost/lost revenue as the Pan Ams are going to be in the heart of the season where their attendance is likely pretty good.....so if you move games from mid-july to, say, April or May.....a case could be made the Jays lose revenue...but I am sure that gets worked out (if needed).

How is hosting an entire month of home games good? In a vacuum, it's actually quite bad for business. Attendance over the course of a long home-stand is hard to maintain as there just isn't enough interest to sustain it and people's wallets need a breather. By September, with hockey season gearing up, schools back in session, and cooler weather, it's that much harder to attract people to the stadium. Outside of a vacuum, the team is just as likely to not be in a pennant race in September as they are to be in one (as much as I hope they would be in one). If the team wasn't in the race, you'd be looking at a disastrous month of tiny crowds day after day. A smart business wouldn't do it.

Someone also said that that "outside of when MLB says they are allowed to rent it out". I assume that was meaning that MLB has rules that say that the team has to guarantee the stadium availability. But perhaps I've misunderstood.

Either way, I just don't see this as a big deal. I'm sure Rogers would be keen to have Skydome as part of the Pan-Am games, as they'd probably be quite happy to have the $ for some much needed renovations and paint. I think the Blue Jays schedule is a red herring.

Back