News   Jul 17, 2024
 527     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 631     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

On another note.....did Toronto just get messed around a bit here?

Because our soccer stadium (BMO Field) was going to be used for Pan Ams, we were not considered for as one of the 6 host cities for the Women's World Cup that Canada is hosting in 2015. Days after the CSA and FIFA announce who the 6 host cities are the Hamilton Spectator is now reporting that Hamilton will host 100% of the Pan Am soccer tournament.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/a...pan-am-soccer-but-volleyball-is-up-in-the-air

strange that!

It seems like anyone involved in the Pan Am Games uses a Magic 8 Ball to make most of their decisions...

If not soccer, BMO must be scheduled to be used for something, no? Though honestly at this point it's getting pretty difficult to keep up with the changes. I long said that decentralizing this event would be a mistake... here's hoping things start to smooth out as we get closer.

Not having any Women's World Cup event in the south west or central part of Ontario is surprising and very disappointing. Allowing these kinds venues to slip through your fingers, ( by not submitting a bid, I guess ), is inexcusable. Ottawa is fine as a host, but it is closer to another host city, Montreal, than it is to bulk of this province's population. Millions of people in the rest of Ontario can still watch this on TV - what a shame !

http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/story/2012/05/10/hamilton-gets-pan-am-soccer.html

Hamilton soccer fans are thrilled about Pan Am
By Conrad Collaco, CBC News Posted: May 10, 2012 7:14 PM ET

Hamilton soccer officials are expecting big things on and off the pitch during the 2015 Pan Am games and local soccer fans couldn't be happier.

Mayor Bob Bratina announced Wednesday by email to councilors that all 48 games, men's and women's, will be played in the city. An earlier plan had the games divided between Hamilton, Burlington and Toronto.

The Canadian women's team comes in as defending champions. They beat Brazil in 2011 on penalties in Guadalajara, Mexico. Canadian women also won medals in 2003 (silver) and 2007 (bronze).

Al Carrafiello, President of Hamilton and District Soccer Association, says the Pan Am Games should result in more children playing soccer in the city. “From a business point of view there is a huge spike in registration numbers. Even when the World Cup in on there is a spike,” he says. “We'll probably see a spike starting next year.”

More women playing soccer

Carrafiello says there has been a great surge in the number of women and girls playing soccer and that the Women's World Cup put Canada on the soccer map. “In Canada, 44 per cent of total registrations are women. I searched Great Britain. The whole country is about twice the size of Canada population-wise. They have 160,000 women registered to play soccer. We have roughly 350,000.”

Zak Haddad sells soccer gear on James St. N. at his store Soccer Heaven. He says the game has been on the rise for girls and boys since the 1994 World Cup in the U.S. He says "all the kids, they love soccer. They want to be soccer players. They watch the games. They know all the players. I have lots of business from kids here."

All games are expected to be played at Ivor Wynne Stadium. Carrafiello is excited that the stadium will be refurbished and expects “a state-of-the-art stadium.”

In 2015 Canada will also host the Women's World Cup. Last week, six host cities were announced. Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Moncton, N.B. made the list.

The 2015 Pan Am team roster could include Ancaster's Melissa Tancredi. She was part of the team that won gold in Mexico and she could be a member of the 2015 roster.

The Pan Am 2015 organizing committee, is scheduled to announce its finalized list of Pan Am venues at a news conference Friday morning.

Last edited:
From the Toronto 2015 Site:

http://www.toronto2015.org/lang/en/...games-accessible-affordable-for-families.html

Toronto Pan Am Park
As the Games’ largest cluster, Toronto Pan Am Park will host more than a dozen sports, such as cycling (road), triathlon, squash and rugby sevens.

University of Toronto (Scarborough) Pan Am Complex
This cluster will host aquatic sports such as swimming and diving as well as field sports such as modern pentathlon. It will also become the new home of the Canadian Sport Institute Ontario which will support athletes and sport organizations throughout Ontario and Canada.

Mississauga Pan Am Complex
This cluster will serve as the Games’ centre for combative sports.

Markham Pan Am Complex
This cluster will host numerous events including water polo, badminton and table tennis.

Etobicoke Pan Am Complex
This cluster will host archery, cycling (BMX) and bowling.

University of Toronto (Downtown) Pan Am Complex
This cluster will host field hockey, roller sports and handball.

York University Pan Am Complex
This cluster will host athletics and tennis.

AoD

If not soccer, BMO must be scheduled to be used for something, no? Though honestly at this point it's getting pretty difficult to keep up with the changes. I long said that decentralizing this event would be a mistake... here's hoping things start to smooth out as we get closer.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1176897--pan-am-toronto-to-focus-on-waterfront-hub

Looks like the Ex will be called "Toronto Pan Am Park" for the games, and have 'about 12' sports there -- volleyball, rugby, wakeboarding, basketball, gymnastics, cycling. Given that list, I expect BMO Field will host the rugby sevens.

Here's my issue, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't 100% of the EX facilities for the games going to be temporary ... so no lasting infrastructure here ? What a waste in that case ...

Here's my issue, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't 100% of the EX facilities for the games going to be temporary ... so no lasting infrastructure here ? What a waste in that case ...
I'd assume they use BMO for the rugby 7s. I can't see them building a temporary stadium for 2 days.

The sport facilities will indeed be temporary or use existing facilities but now that the Ex grounds are being targeted as the main PanAm Park, you can expect existing plans for Exhibition Place to be fast tracked and perhaps more consideration taken into making these beautiful showcase facilities. Some of the projects in the works that will no doubt become more urgent and receive more money and attention:

Hotel in the Garden @ Exhibition Place | PDF
Festival Plaza | PDF
BMO Field Expansion

Improvements to the neighbourhood such as those to make it more pedestrian friendly and the resuming of the Princes Gates Plaza project (wasn't finished, phase 2 was on hold) will be lasting legacies.

... and probably more encouraging of all is that Ontario Place stakeholders now have a serious and ambitious target in place to make something special happen here. Can we plan and build the full Ontario Place remimagining in 3 years? Probably not. But Toronto 2015 being held at Exhibition Place will likely bump up the schedule so that a design is in place within a year and important parts are built in time for the games.

Personally, I think that something like CanadianNational proposed for the Ex grounds is now more plausible. We may yet see some more provincial money poured into making this a coherent site:

exhibitionplace.jpg

When the PanAm games were awarded to Toronto, it was sort of a bitter sweet moment: "Wow... we finally were awarded a 'Games'... but meh... it's not even in Toronto, it's a Golden Horshoe event with few permanent legacy projects for Toronto". That's all changed with this announcement. This is now more than ever a Toronto event. Let's watch it unfold.

Last edited:

Back