News   Aug 02, 2024
 4.2K     3 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Some venue changes:
Archery moves to Varsity Stadium from Centennial Park
Closing Ceremony of the Parapan Games will be at Nathan Phillips Square
Volleyball moves to Ryerson's Athletic Centre (the former Maple Leaf Gardens) while Basketball which was originally scheduled for there is moved to Exhibition place.
Handball also moves to Exhibition place, meaning the Goldring Centre being built won't be used for the Games.

In total 33 venues will be used for both events

by Exhibition Place do you mean Basketball is going to the Ricoh? Or are they building something new there. Where was Volleyball supposed to be?

by Exhibition Place do you mean Basketball is going to the Ricoh? Or are they building something new there. Where was Volleyball supposed to be?

Into the Direct Energy Centre. Basketball and Volleyball traded venues. Volleyball finals will happen at the Ricoh Coliseum, which will be known as the Toronto Coliseum during the games.

Here is the final venue map, only change being CFB Borden is not a venue anymore as it was replaced with the Toronto International Trap and Skeet Club.

5wbkYxo.jpg

Thanks.....how many seats will the Direct Energy Centre have for basketball? What is involved in converting it to a sports venue?

Seems strange to be converting convention space to a sports use while a perfectly good and viable 5k sporting venue sits idle during the games www.poweradecentre.com/‎

Thanks.....how many seats will the Direct Energy Centre have for basketball? What is involved in converting it to a sports venue?

Seems strange to be converting convention space to a sports use while a perfectly good and viable 5k sporting venue sits idle during the games www.poweradecentre.com/‎

About 4,500 seats. I think if anything the venue will just be temporary.

I also said the same thing they could have used that instead of Oshawa which is further away.

About 4,500 seats. I think if anything the venue will just be temporary.

I also said the same thing they could have used that instead of Oshawa which is further away.

I think, at least, the Oshawa venue is being used for something (boxing I think)...nice arena that btw.

Just seems a bit bizarre that money (however much it is) is being spent creating a temporary sports facility while a modern 5,000 seat purpose built arena with 20 private boxes and a modern video board will sit empty during the whole time.

Just seems a bit bizarre that money (however much it is) is being spent creating a temporary sports facility while a modern 5,000 seat purpose built arena with 20 private boxes and a modern video board will sit empty during the whole time.

It's because that - the re-direction of (usually public) money into private hands via construction projects - is the true purpose of these events.

I think, at least, the Oshawa venue is being used for something (boxing I think)...nice arena that btw.

Only the seating is temporary (and the venue is much closer to the village and creates a cluster). Weightlifting and boxing will be held in Oshawa.

Only the seating is temporary (and the venue is much closer to the village and creates a cluster). Weightlifting and boxing will be held in Oshawa.

I get that the Direct Energy centre is not temporary and it is just the creation of a basketball venue within it that is temporary....and I also get that there are clusters. One of those clusters, however, includes the Hershey Centre in Mississauga ....which the Powerade could be part of.

Again, it just seems weird to be investing time/energy/money in a temporary 4,500 seat basketball facility when a perfectly viable 5,000 seat, permanent one, already exists and is very close to an existing cluster of venues.

I get that the Direct Energy centre is not temporary and it is just the creation of a basketball venue within it that is temporary....and I also get that there are clusters. One of those clusters, however, includes the Hershey Centre in Mississauga ....which the Powerade could be part of.

Again, it just seems weird to be investing time/energy/money in a temporary 4,500 seat basketball facility when a perfectly viable 5,000 seat, permanent one, already exists and is very close to an existing cluster of venues.

I totally agree with you. Maybe the transportation of athletes, officials was deemed to much to rather just have the venue downtown.

Wrestling was originally scheduled for Brampton but was moved to Mississauga for this reason.

I totally agree with you. Maybe the transportation of athletes, officials was deemed to much to rather just have the venue downtown.

Wrestling was originally scheduled for Brampton but was moved to Mississauga for this reason.

I hardly think the 8 minutes from the Hershey Centre to the Powerade Centre is going to break any transportation plan. They are 6km apart straight up Kennedy Road.

As someone who has travelled directly from Downtown to both rinks on Friday nights (for OHL games) the Powerade is actually easier to get to. Gardiner -427 - 401 - 410 - Derry - Kennedy.......as opposed to the Gardiner - 427 - 401 - 403 - Egiinton - Kennedy - Mathieson - Rose Cherry.

Even taking the alternate (i.e.. less highway but a bit more direct) route of Gardiner - 427 - 401 -Dixie - Mathieson - Rose Cherry gives the exact same travel time (on google) as the Powerade Centre (using Union Station as a starting point).

So, in summary, I don't think transportation is why, either, wrestling was moved or basketball is now in a temporarily converted convention space. Not sure we will ever know why but it is a horrible shame that a very nice arena, that is already built is not being used in these games.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...al-special-one-pan-am-games-only-1-4-billion/

aaaannnddd... security not in the initial cost estimate. Really? C'mon.

Also, the Mayor starting to be a hater. You're a little late to that parade, Robo. Looking forward to the city's supposed champion pissing on these games. What did we do to deserve Ford?

What's worse is, they won't even provide an estimate for security and transportation. I'm gonna guess a billion, cuz all other Liberal scandals end up with that price tag.

Besides, Vancouver Olympics was also a billion for security and I believe G20 was very high as well - and only 4 days.

On another point re: Pan Am village - how do these properties get transferred to TCHC and GB? Do we get $$$ back from them. Reason I ask is, Vancouver is looking to lose around 300 million on their Olympic Village - different circumstances, obviously. I believe Van bailed out a builder to get the village completed. I'm just wondering if we stand to make some money back on our village, or is there potential for us to lose money on our village post games?

What's worse is, they won't even provide an estimate for security and transportation. I'm gonna guess a billion, cuz all other Liberal scandals end up with that price tag.

Besides, Vancouver Olympics was also a billion for security and I believe G20 was very high as well - and only 4 days.

On another point re: Pan Am village - how do these properties get transferred to TCHC and GB? Do we get $$$ back from them. Reason I ask is, Vancouver is looking to lose around 300 million on their Olympic Village - different circumstances, obviously. I believe Van bailed out a builder to get the village completed. I'm just wondering if we stand to make some money back on our village, or is there potential for us to lose money on our village post games?

In my (apologies) derailment of the Oly thread, I didn't understand that transportation costs (which will be millions, no?) was not in the budget. So, beyond venues, what IS in the budget??

However, the village is not an issue on the cost overrun front -- Dundee Kilgour made an all-in bid, as they will get to redevelop and sell the buildings post-Games. The $700mn is what we're paying for the village (although I expect that doesn't include the bus parking area, now that you've pointed out transportation isn't costed yet.)

In my (apologies) derailment of the Oly thread, I didn't understand that transportation costs (which will be millions, no?) was not in the budget. So, beyond venues, what IS in the budget??

However, the village is not an issue on the cost overrun front -- Dundee Kilgour made an all-in bid, as they will get to redevelop and sell the buildings post-Games. The $700mn is what we're paying for the village (although I expect that doesn't include the bus parking area, now that you've pointed out transportation isn't costed yet.)

It is all written down...what we pay and what we get.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/paav___fc_backgrounder_1.pdf

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/paav___legacy_1.pdf

Last edited:

Back