News   Aug 02, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 4.3K     3 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

I love how the media is taking the $709 million for the Athlete's village out of proportion. I knew that the village was extra back in 2009 and the total would be $2.4 billion, yet the media doesn't.

The Athletes Village has always been a separate budget and the figures were widely published. The media needs to do some basic research before repeating the opposition claims.

Some articles from 2009 that state a $1.4 billion budget for the games and $1 billion for the athletes village.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/canadian-athletes-give-thumbs-up-to-toronto-s-pan-am-win-1.779833
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2121977-toronto-hamilton-wins-pan-am-games-bid/

I have been having a bit of an ongoing twitter conversation with @RodneyJackson about this. He is the MPP for Barrie and the PC critic for Pan Am Games accountability. Despite acknowledging that the village always had its own budget...he continues to hold the line that including the village into the Games' budget of $1.4B means the games are over budget by $709 mil......not really sure how he does this math (I keep asking him).

It's politician math. Makes for good sound bites, but it doesn't actually have to add up

He seems particularly clueless

Rant/ This is going to be a fun couple of years. All of you wankers who thought we were exaggerating when we said that these big sports games are rackets to put your tax dollars in favoured pockets are just NOW waking up to reality? This will be ridiculously costly, with $$$ going to the well-connected and shameless. Transgender company heads is better than Deco Labels getting a sweet deal, or vice versa? Bull. There is NEVER anything transparent about contracts for this type of event, and to be outraged about this is to somehow blind yourself to the fact that the 4th Gen white male who gets a contract is greasing the same wheel in a different fashion. Faux outrage... whatever. /rant

Where's the like button? :)

Regarding the "diversity certification" issue, it surprises me to see people complain about how the same clique always gets all the contracts, always the same boy's club getting all of the cake. "Elitism!", they will yell while electing a rich, spoiled brat as mayor. Well, here's a measure destined to reverse that, and people complain anyway.

And it has to be noted that a) economics still trumps as the main decision factor with 90%, so diversity probably only tips the scale when the top 2 candidates are very similar in their numbers, and b) only 19% of tenders have been awarded to minority-owned firms, frankly I would have liked that number was higher.

The Athletes Village has always been a separate budget and the figures were widely published. The media needs to do some basic research before repeating the opposition claims.

Some articles from 2009 that state a $1.4 billion budget for the games and $1 billion for the athletes village.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/canadian-athletes-give-thumbs-up-to-toronto-s-pan-am-win-1.779833
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/2121977-toronto-hamilton-wins-pan-am-games-bid/

A really funny interview (if it weren't so sad) with @RodneyJackson on CP24 today where he states the Pan Am games are gonna cost $2.1B - $2.4B and that this figure is way over budget....funnily enough, if you add up the numbers in that CBC report above for the two capital budgets (games facilities and village) it seems to add up to $2.4B.

He just got schooled by Stephen Brunt on Prime Time Sports

Last edited:
I heard it was a take down.....missed the broadcast and for some reason they only have the first 38 minutes of tonight's show online....I think the pan am bit was around the 45 minute mark.

they have posted the 4pm-5pm hour twice - should be rectified later I guess

Bob McCown: B or C event. Seriously what an idiot. 18 sports/disciplines (the most ever) will have their Olympic qualifiers here = Best athletes
competing.

FINA has agreed to move the World Aquatics Championships one week later so the best aquatic sport athletes can compete in Toronto.

Also mentioning Toronto can't support a minor event, how about the FIFA u20 world cup which had every game sold out including a game between Gambia and New Zealand.

This is why the ACC will not be used for the event, because it allows for smaller venues to host and be sold out.

Last edited:
Some venue changes:
Archery moves to Varsity Stadium from Centennial Park
Closing Ceremony of the Parapan Games will be at Nathan Phillips Square
Volleyball moves to Ryerson's Athletic Centre (the former Maple Leaf Gardens) while Basketball which was originally scheduled for there is moved to Exhibition place.
Handball also moves to Exhibition place, meaning the Goldring Centre being built won't be used for the Games.

In total 33 venues will be used for both events

Back