Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

a spire would work too but it will add pinnacle height. pinnacle height feels like comparing two people with same height but one looks taller because he has a huge Mohawk. standard height is the real height from bottom till roof of top floor.
What do you guys think?

It will obviously depend on integration, but I disagree. While the old building might look like a bit of a barnacle when looking at the building as a whole, from street level the old building will have prominence and will continue the warehouse/retail dark red brick streetscape started by 144 Front.

The new design has a lower podium portion going north on Simcoe, I don't see why they couldn't have re-oriented the tower so that it would take up the current parking lot area and leave the old building untouched. Whatever functions or offices from the low section could have been located in the old building and it wouldn't look like a "barnacle" stuck on the new tower (like so many other stuck-on facades on new buildings, that somehow qualify as "heritage protection" in this city).

a spire would work too but it will add pinnacle height. pinnacle height feels like comparing two people with same height but one looks taller because he has a huge Mohawk. standard height is the real height from bottom till roof of top floor.
What do you guys think?

Not a terrible idea...

462FA8C2-15DD-4E22-B1AB-1B74F119FD4D.png

759BEDBE-F1F1-4F73-A26B-08578267A745.jpg

I like the building but I don't like the way it addresses the street.

Last edited:
A different league than the massing drawing we've seen?

Taller, yes, but don't think we can say much more.

No way. Definitely no Bank of America, Trump, or NY Times type spire. Just build it to the roof, neatly enclose the mechanical and light the crown. That would be more than fine. 870' (265 m) is nice all on it's own.

Last edited:
If we're talking about likes, wants, wishes and desires - I'd like a lead tenant and announcement of construction... ;)

Attachments

• 632886.jpg
    632886.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 719

Back