Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

I find it porky and bulbous. Not sure what everyone's seeing in this one.

I agree. I am not loving this. I find it neither handsome or graceful. In fact, looking from the west, it appears to be some Easter Island monster.

The MINT skyline is a chess set. FCP is the king. Scotia is the queen. The waterfront condos are pawns. The L tower and 156 Front W are the bishops.

I think it's okay. I would have liked to see mixed-use here. It's interesting that the residential component has been dropped all together.

On a completely unrelated topic, maybe, I wish Jennifer Keesmaat was Chief Planner of Scarborough only. Her ideas for walkability and city building would work wonders there. She's highly capable, so I'm confident she'll implement the vision of for the Avenues in Toronto's Official Plan: walkable, mixed-income, mixed-use streets lined mid-rise buildings where currently strip malls and other car-oriented crap exists. The suburban areas of the city needs an infusion of urbanism while higher density developments should continue to be built downtown and in the Centres near major transit nodes. Toronto needs to strongly encourage high-quality development of all kinds. Instead of spending tons of time and energy fighting developments like M+G, I wish more focus would be on transforming areas like Scarborough. It's easy to say no, but much harder to influence positive change.

Going slightly back on topic, if this was a residential development, I wonder if there would be more hostility in the planning report citing the height, density, lack of parking and the size of the floor plate. The usual things. Those "concerns" are touched on this planning report ever so lightly. I guess this bodes well for seeing this one approved without the negotiated height reduction. Time will tell.

I am looking forward to seeing this one navigate the approval process and the section 37 extractions. Also, this may setback the Oxford Place proposal for another few years since there is so much new office space being planned and scheduled to come online. It will take some time to absorb it all, but having the supply available is a good thing for the city.

I was expecting some kind of lighting feature. it would be cool to have some kind of lighting feature.
what do you guys think?

One thing I've realized ...you will never please everyone . Tastes differ so greatly it's impossible to get a perfect design. In my opinion , I think it's great. It's not the usual rectangle and will appear different depending on the elevation. Plus at 265m, it'll standout in the skyline. It's a major win for Toronto. Let's hope it goes through.

I think the building has the potential to be a great landmark, but the spire suggestion as posted reminds me of a narwhale stood on end, with a stumpy, undersized tusk. I think it looks peculiar and graceless, as if it were an afterthought grafted on to the design merely to please height fanatics.

Beyond that, it's early days and I expect the building's design will undergo some sleek improvements. I certainly hope so, because at certain angles it does indeed look porky and ill-defined.

Looks sharp. Simple, but visually interesting. If this is a high quality build, this may become one of my favorites along the Front Street corridor.

I wish Jennifer Keesmaat was Chief Planner of Scarborough only. Her ideas for walkability and city building would work wonders there. She's highly capable, so I'm confident she'll implement the vision of for the Avenues in Toronto's Official Plan: walkable, mixed-income, mixed-use streets lined mid-rise buildings where currently strip malls and other car-oriented crap exists. The suburban areas of the city needs an infusion of urbanism while higher density developments should continue to be built downtown and in the Centres near major transit nodes. Toronto needs to strongly encourage high-quality development of all kinds. Instead of spending tons of time and energy fighting developments like M+G, I wish more focus would be on transforming areas like Scarborough. It's easy to say no, but much harder to influence positive change.

Yes Scarborough would be a great place for Keesmaat. No doubt she will come out swinging against this project and get it scaled down. I hope the developers are up for a fight.

Last edited:
Cadillac Fairview would know better than I, but I am surprised Toronto has sufficient demand for this much more office in the near future.

I'm happy the architects are thinking outside the box, but I'm not completely sold on the design yet. Especially from the Front Street-facing sides, with the sky balconies. I'm sure we'll see some design tweaks somewhere down the line to perfect the design, (I'm not fond of that nipple thing at the tip, it kinda breaks off the rounded effect)

I'm happy the architects are thinking outside the box, but I'm not completely sold on the design yet. Especially from the Front Street-facing sides, with the sky balconies. I'm sure we'll see some design tweaks somewhere down the line to perfect the design, (I'm not fond of that nipple thing at the tip, it kinda breaks off the rounded effect)

I myself am extremely fond of "nipple things at the top."

Oh, wait. You're talking about architecture.

Never mind.

haha. I was just thinking the exact same, although I like it because of that.

I think it looks great. Seems like something that would be going up in Canary Wharf/The City. This might be the most significant thing to be built here in the teens.

xblF4.gif

Without see a full view of the base at street level not bad looking, but still too square for most of the height.

The top reminds you of a few buildings.

The day will come where one section of a tower is commercial while the other section is residential. Then the base would be something totally different then the run of the mill stuff.

Back