Toronto 160 Front West | 239.87m | 46s | Cadillac Fairview | AS + GG

Well - it's only 224m to the 54th floor which is an average of 4.1m per floor - which is pretty standard for office buildings. The "bump" at the top makes up the remaining 42m

I agree. If it was up to me, I'd ship all those facades (including the M+G buildings) to some city lot in a new development. West Donlands, East Bayfronts.. This is a sure fire way to give those new areas a feeling of permanency.

Otherwise, this building will end up looking like a barnacle on this fine tower.

It will obviously depend on integration, but I disagree. While the old building might look like a bit of a barnacle when looking at the building as a whole, from street level the old building will have prominence and will continue the warehouse/retail dark red brick streetscape started by 144 Front. It is also consistent with the building across the street (though I know that proposal unfortunately intends to scrap the brick), giving the area a certain feel. I think the integration of the facade at BAC West is very well done, transitioning the modern building with the older buildings to the north on Bay, and hopefully the Concourse building will work well with EY Tower as well. No matter how great the office tower is, I doubt it will have a better street level than what these old buildings provide. Yes, there are bad examples, like the old Exchange, but more recent efforts have done a better job.

Wow a 42m bump is pretty big. Damn I wanna see this thing in actual renders. Not just a sketch. When is this going to be released publicly? I hope they already have a big tenant in mind.

Well, just to nitpick a little, 224.2 metres is the height of the 53rd ceiling/54th floor. The ceiling of the 54th is up at 232.4 metres, so you get a whopping 8 or so metre/26 or so foot high floor there. (The "or so" meaning take some of that height away for the thickness of the floor slab, any raised floor, and dropped ceiling.) Still, the 54th itself could be a spectacular floor with the extra height. Public facilities up there maybe? Major boardrooms? Something wild will go up there.

The bump above that is 32.6 metres high, with two mechanical floors up there.

You know you're a skyscraper geek when your first reaction to a municipal design update is to run around your room screaming.

Adrian Smith is a god.

Let's just hope that the city doesn't ruin this project.

ZING!

I've rarely taken issue with the Design Review Panel; for the most part, they are a group of well-deserving professionals. The only head-scratcher for me that has really stuck in my memory was when they took issue with Saucier+Perrotte's design for a boutique hotel in the Distillery District.

ZING!

I've rarely taken issue with the Design Review Panel; for the most part, they are a group of well-deserving professionals. The only head-scratcher for me that has really stuck in my memory was when they took issue with Saucier+Perrotte's design for a boutique hotel in the Distillery District.

The one where they called it a "world-class design" and still rejected it?

I'm still surprised they didn't go with 2 towers, considering the size of the site, but i'll take a taller tower any day.
The old design also wasn't horrible, imo,
Can't wait to see the full renders released, I hope we get some sorta dark cladding, like the IFC in Guangzhou

1359_1r9s7a9362.jpg

Source: http://edmonleong1.sites.livebooks.com/data/photos/1359_1r9s7a9362.jpg

So at 265 metres, this would be the third tallest office building in T.O. - and all of Canada.

339382C1-C480-466C-9C18-88FCEC485A4F.png

Last edited:

Back