News   Aug 02, 2024
 2.6K     1 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 4.4K     3 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 1.8K     4 

The Weather

The prediction is always the same, regardless. Either winter will be over in 6 weeks, or it will be over soon, ie, in about six weeks.

Yes, but phunky isn't a rodent. His prediction may not be based on whether or not he sees his shadow. There's no telling what those humans will come up with when they gaze into the future.

Or a good old-fashioned crystal ball.

Elsmere Island (a place I'd really like to visit one day, but not today) is enclosed in -30C temperatures.

I'll take toasty Toronto today.

It's coming for us, kiddies...

Winter weather causes havoc on Ontario highways

toronto.ctv.ca

Police responded to dozens of accidents on highways in southern Ontario on Wednesday morning after an early blast of winter weather created slick roads and reduced visibility.

Temperatures hovered around the freezing mark overnight, creating a dangerous layer of ice on roadways. Flurries were reported in the traditional snow belt areas.

Some of the worst driving conditions were reported in the Barrie area along Highway 400, north of Highway 89.

A major accident on Highway 401 in Pickering, at Whites Road, shut down all westbound collector lanes during the morning commute. Police said there were serious injuries in the 5 a.m. crash, which involved several vehicles.

North of Toronto, a full-sized van ended up on its side after it spun out on Markham Road, near Highway 407. The passengers were shaken up, but not seriously hurt.

Toronto escaped the wintry weather conditions.

With files from CTV Toronto and The Canadian Press

A look at the Barrie area today:

1909420313_e83300c896.jpg

The Weather changed QUICK!

Everyone: After the record warmth of October here comes Winter-at least to the Lakes snow belt. We down in the NY area are finally getting Fall weather.
Interesting! LI MIKE

Elsmere Island (a place I'd really like to visit one, but not today) is enclosed in -30C temperatures.
I'll take toasty Toronto today.
On the news they were showing some video from the settlement near Iqaluit where the young RCMP officer was shot and killed. Plenty of snow, parkas and snowmobiles. Gave me shivers.

10-20 cm of snow for the GTA tonight/tomorrow.
Looks like the further west in the GTA the closer to 20 it will be.

Snowfall warning for
City of Toronto continued

..10 to 20 centimetres of snow likely by Thursday night..

A low pressure area over southern Illinois will bring the first winter storm of the season tonight and Thursday. While rain heavy at times is falling over most of southern Ontario there are signs that a change is imminent.

An off duty Environment Canada meteorologist reported wet snow on highway 400 south of Barrie around 5.15 PM. This is the first sign that a changeover to snow is starting to occur.

As the temperature falls to near freezing the rain will quickly change over to wet snow and ice pellets this evening and then snow heavy at times later tonight. Near 10 centimetres of snow is expected to fall tonight with an additional 10 centimetres to follow on Thursday. Higher snow amounts are expected to fall over higher terrain.

Regions across eastern Ontario including Ottawa have already received snow from a previous disturbance and will continue to see snow fall tonight and into Thursday. Total snowfall amounts near 15 centimetres by Thursday night are possible as the winter storm slowly moves east across the lower lakes tonight into New England by Thursday night.

The greater Toronto area will be very close to the southern edge of the heavy snow but is still expected to receive significant amounts of snow mixed with ice pellets. Actual total snowfall amounts will depend on how long it will take for the rain and ice pellets to turn over to snow. Latest indications show 5 to 10 cm of snow and ice pellets by Thursday morning in greater Toronto area followed by additional 5 to 10 centimetres of all snow Thursday. Regions close to the lake may see lesser amounts due to slightly higher temperatures.

Travellers should be prepared for significant deterioration in driving conditions with hazardous winter driving conditions likely overnight and Thursday. Very low visibility at times in heavy snow is possible.

For further detail over the rest of southern Ontario please read the special weather statement released by Environment Canada.

:p

There are currently ice pellets hitting my window. Pretty heavy at that. Sounds like nerds (the candy) hitting my window.

Yes, ice pellets outside. A good reason to sleep in tomorrow.

phunky, a weather-related question; would human nerds be any louder when hitting the window?

phunky, a weather-related question; would human nerds be any louder when hitting the window?

I'm going to go with: Yes.

The snow is late. Almost 6am and still no snow, lots of freezing rain and ice pellets.
They've changed the Snowfall Warning to a Winter Storm Warning now.

Back