News   Jul 17, 2024
 234     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 789     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 628     0 

The Weather

Fallen, rotting leaves with a bit of snow like we had this week makes it all look like dog dirt too. Especially the sidewalks with trees overhead or nearby.

I can't wait until the city starts smothering the streets in salt. When winter cycling the cold isn't a problem IMO, it's the slush that makes for unpleasant experiences. Eventually every year the streets end up being white with a salty residue and dry as a bone.

Yes, yes... I know it's environmentally damaging, but it's gonna happen anyway so I might as well make good use of it.

Salt-smothering. Montreal wins in that department hands down. They go at it like the Romans at Carthage.

Clearing roads and other weather-related observations...

Everyone: I noticed that the Southern Ontario/Western New York area got snowfall-with the usual lake effect snows in WNY. I have noticed over time that the use of salt on roads can cause problems-from road damage to bridge damage-especially to structural steel susceptible to drainage and seepage from the road salt. Here on LI we use mainly SAND. It is in abundance because LI is basically a 120 mile long sandbar.

Sand does not cause the problems of roadsalt-however after tough winter seasons sand must be cleaned-using street sweepers in the spring. If it is not done,the consequences include filled-in storm drains which can invite flooding. On most of LI the rains are just absorbed by the soil which enriches the water table and aquifier below. There are trouble spots,though-especially in some low-lying coastal areas that have been largely developed. NYS in cases uses a sand/salt mixture sometimes also. We all know that too much salt exposure is no good for autos-in the NY area after salt is used the after-dirt from it is clearly noticeable sometimes. Washing it off ASAP is usually best there.

I cannot help but wondering now if after the very warm October that a very tough winter is ahead-I noted that El Paso,Texas-which averages 6 inches of snow a year-got 4 inches out of yesterday's storm there-not much to us but significant for them. W Texas got an average of 3-6 inches of snow from this storm. Even Dallas had high temperatures around 40 F.

After that long warm stretch cold-and snow-so soon takes a bit of getting used to. In my area on LI we did not get a first frost until the first week of this month-significantly later then normal. In only the past couple of weeks fall is finally showing its "true colors" - I am thinking now of the Cindy Lauper song. As winter approaches only time will tell...LI MIKE

I don't understand why eastern cities insist on using so much salt when clearing streets. I never experienced salt stains on my pants (yes, salt, not other white substances) until I moved out here from Edmonton... and they're the biggest bitch. I grew up with the use of a gravel-salt mix in maintaining road conditions in Edmonton... yes, the gravel becomes a big problem after spring melt, but that's the ONE time a year that all streets in the city are swept and vacuumed anyway, and the gravel ends up being recycled and used the next year.... it seemed like a more environmentally sustainable way of snow-related maitnenance.

Nor do I understand Toronto's constant demand for gold-standard snow clearing on every single street. There's talk right now of reducing the amount of clearing on sidestreets, and I think that's perfectly fine... have snow cleared on side streets once a year or when the snowpack reaches a certain depth.. not after every single snowfall.

Look out kids, they've whipped out the crystal ball and have made a prediction...

Brace for cold, Canadians warned

MICHAEL OLIVEIRA
The Canadian Press
November 30, 2007 at 1:47 PM EST

TORONTO — After years of warmer-than-normal winters that spurred constant talk of global warming, winter this year is expected to be the coldest in almost 15 years and should remind everyone of what real Canadian cold feels like, Environment Canada said Friday.

With the exception of only small pockets of northern Canada and southwestern Ontario, this December through February is forecast to be one of the harshest winters in recent memory across the country, said senior climatologist David Phillips.

“It is somewhat remarkable that we're seeing the same situation from coast to coast to almost coast — from Vancouver Island to Bonavista, Nfld., we're showing the country as being colder than normal,†Mr. Phillips said.

“The last time Canada had a significantly cold winter was back in 1994, more than a decade ago, and this may very well rival that one in terms of coldness.â€

1994 started with a bang of winter weather and Canadians across the country shivered through temperatures as cold as -42C — and that was before factoring in the wind chill.

Environment Canada's forecast for precipitation suggests much of the country is due for normal amounts of snow, although some cities could get more than usual, including Calgary, Regina and Toronto, which infamously called in the army in January 1999 to deal with a heavy snowfall.

The precipitation forecasts are less reliable, but Mr. Phillips said a colder winter would likely result in a lot of white Christmases across the country — defined as two centimetres of snow on the ground at 7 a.m. on Christmas Day.

Even if the forecasts don't hold true, Mr. Phillips said the weather will almost certainly be worse than the last couple years for much of the country.

Last year, a number of traditionally cold and snow-covered cities like Quebec City, Ottawa and Timmins, Ont., had a green Christmas for the first time in decades.

And places like Moncton, all of Prince Edward Island and Toronto had only two-thirds of their normal snowfall.

If there is a bright side to the gloomy forecast that most Canadians will probably curse, it's that snow and cold in the winter is good for the economy, Mr. Phillips said.

When Canadians see snow outside their windows they'll likely get into the Christmas spirit and start shopping, he said. And others will see the snow and make immediate plans to head south.

“I always think it's good for the economy when weather is behaving like it should, when winters are cold and summers are hot,†Mr. Phillips said.

“With the Canadian dollar the way it is and with this colder than normal weather, it very well may be that the busiest people in the country are travel agents.â€

Mr. Phillips said the forecast for cold weather is being triggered in part by La Nina, a period of lower than normal temperatures in the Pacific Ocean.

I saw a flock of geese heading south a few days ago - and fast. I guess they picked up the news from Environment Canada, too.

Things'll look real purdy until the grey muck starts coating the snow in a few days.

it's snowing very hard here in richmond hill. gonan be some nice snowage on the ground.

cad_None_anim.gif

I was out about an hour ago to walk my dog. It's very windy, cold and the snow hurts having it whipped in my face. This is like February weather!

Jarvis & Wellesley, 2am Sunday morning. There was about 3" of accumulated snow (not drifts) downtown at around 1:00am when I was out.

PICT0991.jpg

PICT0990.jpg

looks to me we got around 15cm here in r.hill. loving the snow. too bad it's all gonna be ruined by that pesky rain.

It looks to be about 10-12cm downtown. If rain comes then it freezes as the forecast suggests, we're going to be in one hell of a mess for a couple of days

Back