News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

The Weather

Really? I've seen it in the GTA many times since I've lived here in 1995.

I thought thunder & lightening during a snow storm was a pretty rare event, I didn't realize it was so common.

The rest of Canada chuckles as snowsteria hits Toronto amid snowmageddon fears http://ca.news.yahoo.com/rest-canad...to-amid-snowmageddon-20110202-112512-057.html

TORONTO - Snow big deal. The Snowtorious B.I.G. Snowmageddon. Snow kidding.

Snowsteria seemed to take hold in Toronto on Wednesday amid an Environment Canada prediction of a winter walloping that sent people in and around Canada's largest city scurrying like groundhogs for their burrows.

Schools declared a snow day. Workers stayed home or holed up in hotels. Normally frenetic rush-hour streets and commuter trains took on a ho-hum weekend feel amid the question: Snow what?

Snow big deal, as it turned out. Canadian Forces remained safely in their barracks.

No snow day for the blogosphere.

"There is hardly any snow on the ground and they close the schools?!" exclaimed one incredulous commenter under a lengthy list of closures on a news website.

"This once again is hyped up by all the news media . . . Workers and teachers find excuses to stay home. Parent scrambling to find alternative. Someone need to be responsible for this!"

Environment Canada was making no apologies for its predictions, gamely pointing out that some areas of southern Ontario, if not Toronto, did experience blizzard-like conditions for a while.

Gotta love the Yahoo comment section LOL

Jason Sheffield
First of let me say, I am NO fan of Toronto! They think they are the centre of the universe and the rest of Canada is just ... there.

quebec_dom
bunch of wimps!
even worse than americans!

The rest of Canada chuckles as snowsteria hits Toronto amid snowmageddon fears http://ca.news.yahoo.com/rest-canad...to-amid-snowmageddon-20110202-112512-057.html

TORONTO - Snow big deal. The Snowtorious B.I.G. Snowmageddon. Snow kidding.

Snowsteria seemed to take hold in Toronto on Wednesday amid an Environment Canada prediction of a winter walloping that sent people in and around Canada's largest city scurrying like groundhogs for their burrows.

Schools declared a snow day. Workers stayed home or holed up in hotels. Normally frenetic rush-hour streets and commuter trains took on a ho-hum weekend feel amid the question: Snow what?

I think it's fair to say that when the school boards had to make the decision at 5am whether to open or close schools and run the bus routes, the heart of the storm was just beginning it's advance on the city of Toronto and was forecasted to to be the ugliest part of the storm until 8am. They erred on the side of caution and that's OK with me. So what, the kids got a snow day. Good for them. It's a non-story.

I think the snowstorm would have caused a lot more problems if all the schools were open and everyone went to work like normal. Better to be too careful than to act like every big storm is no big deal. Why should people in Toronto be ridiculed the rest of Canada just because that the storm was not as bad as forecasted? People can only make judgments based on the forecast. The ROC acts like they are clairvoyant or something. It's like with the whole "Money for Nothing" censorship controversy, the ROC show that they don't know what the fuck they talking about.

Last night at 8:45, after the wonderful melodrama The Barefoot Contessa let out at Lightbox, we we noticed that King Street had been cordoned off. Apparently, the wind had blown something ( gravel? ) off the roof. We sat in Canteen for well over an hour, chattering about the movie and this and that, and when we left King was still a no-go zone.

If your in Toronto or Oshawa... take cover asap:

Warnings
City of Toronto
6:56 PM EDT Wednesday 08 June 2011
Severe thunderstorm warning for
City of Toronto issued

For the above regions until 8 PM. Severe thunderstorms are imminent or occurring in the area. These storms may produce hail up to 4 cm, wind gusts to 120 km/h and torrential downpours up to 50 mm in half an hour.

Remember that some severe thunderstorms can also produce tornadoes.

Monitor weather conditions and take immediate safety precautions if threatening weather approaches.

At 6.10 PM radar shows an area of scattered thunderstorms from Southern Georgian Bay to the Mount Forest area moving east southeastward at about 70 km/h. Areas ahead of this area of thunderstorms is very unstable. Severe thunderstorms could develop with hail up to golf ball size, wind gusts to 120 km/h and torrential downpours up to 50 mm in half an hour.

Kitsune: I saw a video showing the CN Tower being struck by lightning in the past week...the Weather Channel kept showing just one lightning strike and I wonder noting past storms did anyone catch the lightning on video themselves or was there a longer video? I remember that neat lightning videos from past storms can be found...LI MIKE

We set a heat record last night for overnight low of 26.6C, the previous record was 26.3 in August 2006. It doesn't look like we're going to break the daytime record of 38.3C from 1948 though.

Back