News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 452     0 

The Weather

Thanks for he heads up Kitsune. Looks like we might need to call in the Army!!! :p

Severe storm headed for southern Ontario http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ne...splay=noec&warningtype=sw?ref=stormwatch_city

Meteorologists are starting to gain a clearer picture of the major storm set to hit eastern Canada Wednesday.

There was some initial uncertainty about the track for the “Groundhog Day Storm,†but it now looks likely that every major city from Windsor to Kingston will see at least 15 cm of snow Wednesday, says Rob Davis, a meteorologist at The Weather Network.

“It's almost a guarantee it'll be more than 15 cm - it's just a question of how much more,†he says.

Some areas could see up to 30 cm.

Snowfall totals of more than 20 cm have been virtually unheard of in Toronto in recent years; the last time the city had a major snow event was on Feb. 6, 2008, when 30.4 cm fell.

The first wave of the storm will hit Tuesday, bringing just enough snow to make the workday commute a nuisance.

But that's just an appetizer compared to the monster main course that will arrive overnight on Tuesday.

Commuters could wake up to 10 cm of snow on Wednesday, with more expected to fall throughout the morning.

The system will taper off by Wednesday evening, but don't expect a smooth drive home, Davis cautions.

“If you made it to work, you're going to have a bit of a rough commute getting back,†he says.

A band of freezing rain associated with the storm could graze the southernmost tip of Ontario, but most of the freezing rain will affect the northeastern United States.

The storm will push into Atlantic Canada for Thursday, leaving cold temperatures in its wake.

However the numbers play out, Davis says the storm will be one to talk about.

“We're going to get quite the storm.â€

This is a crazy storm with the high winds, lightening and thunder claps at 5:50am. I don't think I've ever witnessed thunder & lightening during a snow storm.

Only 15-20cm instead of the predicted 20-30cm, how disappointing. Ow well, it was at least enough for UTM to close down, so I'm happy.

Well, it's almost midday and the worst has passed.

I'd say it turned out to be a pretty typical winter storm, which we would expect to get 2-4 of each winter.

It seems like, yet again, a winter storm didn't live up to the hype. I'm not complaining, though. The media frenzy still makes people more aware and careful and makes us consider alternative plans. The real danger from storms in the past was when they were able to sneak up on you.

I think lots of people chose to work from home today which helped with potential traffic chaos. And hey, it gave the media something to get worked up about for a day or so.

thank god we all survived snowpocalypse!! snow was up to my ankles in some spots.:p Looks like Chicago got the worst of it. 60 cm of snow and people trapped in their cars and on transit bus's for over 5 hours

You know it's not a major storm when you have to wait 10 minutes for a streetcar on Queen and it's not full.

Let me just point out that that was NOT sensationalist media. The storm lived up to its hype in many locations. Missouri has the most snow so far with over 18 inches of snow.
What happened here, is that a dry slot developed, which sucks moisture out of a storm. If this had not happened, we'd be in the same situation as those in the U.S. with much more snow than we got. Nobody can for sure say that will happen, but if it hadn't, we'd be looking a lot like Chicago right now.

The worst is the drifting snow. some streets where the plow hasn't gone by its about a foot high

Back