News   Jul 15, 2024
 30     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

The Weather

That very hot dry spell took a toll on my raspberry canes. The fact that I didn't water them much didn't help either.

From my balcony I see all these brown patches of grass and then some beautiful green one's here & there, where underground watering systems are installed or where sprinklers have been used. Our City parks have really taken a beating this summer, not just the grass but many flowers in the gardens that aren't drought tolerant.

And Now: Record rainfall on Sunday August 14,2011...

Everyone: The NYC/LI area was deluged by record rainfall on Sunday August 14th...

Parts of Long Island-especially the south part of Nassau County-got 10 or more inches
of rain from a low pressure system that dumped Atlantic Ocean moisture on this region...

There were some strong thunderstorms that morning but afterwards it became an all-day deluge that caused trouble for any mode of ground transportation from flooding...

Usually a storm with this much rain would be the result of a tropical-origin system noting the time of year but this was one that set records for rainfall not only in the
NYC/LI region it affected the entire northeastern USA...

This again is another significant weather event from the Summer of 2011...LI MIKE

Tornado watch in effect for ALL of southern ontario... and northeastern ontario. So about 70% of the province under a Tornado watch, wow. Parts of NE ontario have also been under a severe thunderstorm warning since 2:30pm.....

Tornado watch for
City of Toronto continued

An line of thunderstorms is expected to develop over Lake Huron then track rapidly eastward across Southern Ontario late this afternoon and this evening. The threat for storms will begin in areas near Lake Huron between 4:00 PM and 5:00 PM then move eastward to reach a line from Eastern Lake Erie through the Golden Horseshoe to the upper Ottawa Valley by 8:00 PM.

Some of these storms will have the potential to be severe with large hail, damaging winds, and torrential downpours. There will also be the potential for isolated tornadoes.

This is an alert to the potential development of severe thunderstorms capable of producing tornadoes..Monitor weather conditions and listen for updated bulletins.

A line of thunderstorms is expected to develop over Michigan this afternoon then track rapidly eastward into Southern Ontario.

The threat for severe weather is expected to reach areas near Lake Huron near mid afternoon and the remainder of the regions in the late afternoon or early evening.

The radar shows some doozy storms coming for around 9:30. I expect some great lightning pic and videos will come out tomorrow.

That was an amazing light show tonight, thankfully no tornadoes that I could see! The tower was hit at least 40 times that I saw, likely more.

Last night around 11 o'clock, after Accatone had let out from Lightbox, I stood under the canopy with a small crowd of people for about half an hour, watching lightning strikes hit the CN Tower across the street. Quite the show, and I didn't realize there'd be sparks after the strikes, as with fireworks. Noisy, too, and a special kind of noise with all those suspended water particles in the air.

I saw a waterspout over the lake shortly after tornado warnings were issued for Missy. Was going well south of the islands... and I only got a glimpse of it because of a perfect lightning strike.

There were 2 tornadoes during that storm. One near Cambridge towards Burlington, and another near London.

AWCN11 CWTO 262202
Updated weather summary for all of Southern Ontario and the
National Capital Region issued by Environment Canada
At 5:42 PM EDT Friday 26 August 2011.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Seventh tornado of the season confirmed.

Environment Canada continues to investigate reports of damage in the
wake of the powerful thunderstorms that occurred on Wednesday
Evening August 24, 2011 across southwestern and southcentral Ontario.

A damage survey team was out today in the nairn area to the northwest
of London investigating a path of storm damage. This damage has been
confirmed as being caused by a Fujita scale 1 tornado with peak winds
between 120 and 170 km/h which occurred around 7:50 PM on Wednesday
evening. Damage included the destruction of a large farm shed and
numerous trees. The path of damage was approximately 10 km long and
300 metres wide, at its widest point. The tornado began about 6
kilometres west of nairn and ended about 4 kilometres east of nairn.

In addition to the Cambridge tornado, this is the second confirmed
Fujita scale one (f1) tornado that occurred on Wednesday evening.
Environment Canada continues to investigate a number of damage
reports from the storms on Wednesday evening and will update this
statement as new information becomes available in the coming days.

When, oh when, will this winter come to an end.

If it doesn't warm up quickly, I fear my green grass may turn brown.

2 weeks until Groundhog Day!

Back