News   Jul 16, 2024
 638     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 576     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 716     2 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Re: udpates on CTV and Jack Astor's?

Victoria Street at Ryerson has always been a disaster..thank god the business building moved an the only one's to see it now are the night shifters coming in for continuing education; and do they really care??

i like the size Metropolis is imposing on the nieghbourhood. If you are going to build something like this, you might as well go totally over the top. Which it is doing, thankfully.

Re: Metropolis being a monstrosity

The problem with the Victoria St. side is that it is very large and imposing onto a narrow street. If the finished design looks better than it does now, then I guess there is hope.

And I agree that the parking garage being covered up is a good thing. But just because there was an ugly building already there it doesn't mean that it should be kept as ugly (or made uglier).

^ There are ways to solve the problem that you bring up. Narrow streets do lend themselves better for small residential buildings and leafy sidewalks. However, in this case, this is Toronto's commercial centre so we can expect nothing less than massive density.

If Metropolis continues with the glass and good quality cladding (yes I said it!) that they're applying, all that needs to be done is add enough light to this street to make the building less imposing.

There's all kinds of lighting on the Victoria side. There's big fin things on the top that have spotlights pointing down, and then there's additional light fixtures down below.

One of the biggest problems on the Victoria side is the swallowing up of the (already too narrow) sidewalk, making it almost unwalkable (with support beams cutting into the middle of the sidewalks and the building covering much of sky). I would have less of a problem with the Victoria side if they set back the structure (by perhaps not having to build around the parking garage).

I am surprised the city let them encroach so much on the sidewalk. I sure hope there was a trade-off.

I'm no fan of Metropolis but any large building would overwhelm a narrow street like that. This is the heart of the city afterall.

I can see the sidewalk problem, but once all of the fencing is removed there should be enough space on that side of Victoria.

As for it being a massive building for Victoria St... look at the buildings across the street from Metropolis. They are just as tall.

I like it so far, as far as Victoria Street, I see no reason why they just don't shut it down to parking garage access only... then plant a few trees, add lighting....

lot of imposing ass ends facing Victoria north of Queen - looks better than what the hospitals have done to Elizabeth or Murray

I'm pretty sure I read that the sidewalk will be widened and Victoria will become a 1 way street (as it has been since Metropolis closed it down).

I'd rather see it as a two-way street, but only to the parking garage, and completely closed north of that.

I suppose one way north, with Gould one way west from Victoria, and closed east of Victoria, would be an acceptable second choice for me.

restrictive 42

I was just down there and I'm liking how the Victoria façade is coming together.

The first two pieces of cladding on the Yonge side have been applied and they look excellent. I'm very surprised to see PenEquity so concerned with cosmetic issues.

The whole building is starting to show a sort of modern-gothic style.

The most activity on the site later in the day today was on the temporary elevator. I think they're beginning to take it apart. I believe I read it's going to be moved to Gould.

The whole building is starting to show a sort of modern-gothic style.
Yeah, I'd love to see something like this looming over Dundas Square...
06klint.jpg

Victoria as a 1 way street would be awesome. Thats a great idea, let's hope it happens.

Back