News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Street photos 194o's to 1980's

Lets get back to the streets again.
This great thread has prompted me to search my old files of negatives (negative? what's that?).
I found this one of the Flatiron bldg. but unfortunately, I often failed to record dates.
Wonder when I shot this.

Flatiron----.jpg

The possible giveaway might be that rising skeleton down Wellington--would that be 40 University Avenue?

Another thing I'm noticing, squinting: the Gooderham seems to have had some kind of "gallery" at the ground floor apex by that time...

I think it's a late 60s/early 70s Eldorado.

It's actually a little on the small side for an Eldorado. We had a '72 Eldorado (silver with red leather interior) when I was growing up, and it was a true land yacht. This car reminds me a little of another, slightly smaller car we had, the Olds 98.

Lets get back to the streets again.
This great thread has prompted me to search my old files of negatives (negative? what's that?).
I found this one of the Flatiron bldg. but unfortunately, I often failed to record dates.
Wonder when I shot this.

Flatiron----.jpg

A couple from the Tely Archives of the Flatiron building, a little earlier:

fronttelegram.jpg

fronttelegram2.jpg

An open market on the site of Market Square 1968:

marketsquare1968.jpg

King, just west of Jarvis 1965 (these buildings were demolished for St. James Park):

kingtelegram1965.jpg
kingjarvis2.jpg

Looking up Market Street towards the same block, beside the old North Market, 1967 (this section of Market Street is now pedestrian-only):

northmarket1967.jpg

Same block, 1904:

kingchurch1904.jpg

Last edited:
Looking up Market Street towards the same block, beside the old North Market, 1967 (this section of Market Street is now pedestrian-only):

northmarket1967.jpg

Interesting to see the west side of the St. Lawrence Hall undergoing major renovations. The north east corner of it collapsed that year.

Don't recall when I shot these but I assume the monument to Sir Adam Beck on University Ave, (at Queen) was demolished during a move to its present location.
I've always thought the 3rd photo resembled a "living monument to Canadian Workers."
Also reminds me of the photo: "Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima."

UnniversityAvemonumentdemolition.jpg

UniversityAvemonumentdemolition2.jpg

Monument to "Workers"

monumenttoworkers.jpg

Richmond at Victoria
RichmontnearChurchc1960.jpg

"And another late 60s giveaway, that's a BA station (with the modified 1967 logo; then BA became Gulf in 1969)": adma

Another angle on that BA sign - attached thumbnail

Attachments

• BA station c.1965.jpg
    BA station c.1965.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 407
"And another late 60s giveaway, that's a BA station (with the modified 1967 logo; then BA became Gulf in 1969)": adma

Another angle on that BA sign - attached thumbnail

And in said thumbnail, the *pre-modification* logo.

The "classic"

4154040808_48903ac55e.jpg

The 1967 version

bafeature036fi9.th.jpg

Oh, and re Adam Beck: was it a removal to another location, or simply a temporary removal for University subway construction? (Though it's jarring to see how "demolition-like" said temporary removal was)

Interesting to see the west side of the St. Lawrence Hall undergoing major renovations. The north east corner of it collapsed that year.

As can be seen in this pic, post-collapse:

ASC11266jpgpreview.jpg

Same year: Celia Franca, in the Great Hall, strikes a "Gloria-Swanson-in-the-ruins-of-the-Roxy" pose:

ASC05311jpgpreview.jpg
50555165.jpg

Last edited:
And in said thumbnail, the *pre-modification* logo.

The "classic"

4154040808_48903ac55e.jpg

The 1967 version

bafeature036fi9.th.jpg

Oh, and re Adam Beck: was it a removal to another location, or simply a temporary removal for University subway construction? (Though it's jarring to see how "demolition-like" said temporary removal was)

That was a pretty useless modification. Not as bad as this though.

Old
ccm-logo.jpg

Poo
ccm-logo-red.jpg

Great pics again, brewster. Just curious: why are there so many pics from the College/Yonge intersection?

Back