News   Jul 11, 2024
 108     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 510     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 2K     1 

St Lawrence Market

I'm curious if their closure is due to poor sales, or if being evicted / lease expiry.

When I was there I asked if it was because of the condo proposal that's been plastered to the front of the building for a few years. She said yes. I presume that also means the end is nigh for the Acura dealership, especially since they have a new one in the works as it is.

When I was there I asked if it was because of the condo proposal that's been plastered to the front of the building for a few years. She said yes. I presume that also means the end is nigh for the Acura dealership, especially since they have a new one in the works as it is.
Acura was supposed to move last December and is going to do so VERY soon. The (ghastly) development proposal is far from being approved and has just gone to the OMB. It was slammed by the Design Review panel and the Neighbourhood Association is very much opposed as it is simply too large/dense for the site and the neighbourhood.

Not sure if this was posted already, but Aroma Cafe is going into the space on the north-west corner of King and Princess.

The Apparently some sweet deals coming up in the next couple weeks, too, which probably amounts to them trying to be competitive with No Frills for the first time since it opened.

Signs in the window saying 25% off entire store, with an asterisk saying some items may be exempt.

It's true - 25% off everything with some exceptions. Stuff is already fairly picked through, but I anticipate the discount will be increasing closer to closing day.

Also, they've stopped selling fresh meat, unsurprisingly.

Yeah whoever wrote the story clearly had some extra zeros on his figures. I believe it's somewhere between $26,000 and $50,000. The original surface was $22,000 when they installed it a few years ago.

Ok, good, I'm not crazy. I read that and laughed, I tweeted about it a few days back but nobody had any thoughts on the real value. There *no* way that surface, nice as it is, could cost anywhere near $50 million. To put that into context, the entire St. Lawrence North Market redevelopment is currently budgeted at just over $90 million.

Ok, good, I'm not crazy. I read that and laughed, I tweeted about it a few days back but nobody had any thoughts on the real value. There *no* way that surface, nice as it is, could cost anywhere near $50 million. To put that into context, the entire St. Lawrence North Market redevelopment is currently budgeted at just over $90 million.

I don't play much basketball, but the new surface doesn't look nearly as good as the original one in my opinion. That said, it looks like it's now painted on, so at least if a cop decides to drive on it again, it shouldn't get torn to pieces.

But it's been dead like that for years - why now?

That Sobey's was never busy from day one, except at lunch hour when people from the nearby offices hit it up for prepared deli foods. I really thought that before they closed this one they'd open another one nearby, maybe even just one of the small Urban Fresh outlets. Now with so many more new condos nearing completion nearby (Ivory, Post House, etc.) we're really going to feel the crowds at No Frills. I quite liked that Sobey's, it wasn't always the cheapest but it was a peaceful shopping experience and the cashiers were nice. The pharmacy was excellent, apparently all the customer records are being transferred to the No Frills pharmacy.

No Frills is cheap, no doubt, but it can be a soul-sucking dingy shopping experience, especially when they don't open enough cash registers -- and what's with that one single 8-item express line? It's always lined up, don't they understand that people downtown who walk to grocery stores go more often and buy fewer items at a time?

I don't play much basketball, but the new surface doesn't look nearly as good as the original one in my opinion. That said, it looks like it's now painted on, so at least if a cop decides to drive on it again, it shouldn't get torn to pieces.

No I'm pretty sure it's still some sort of rubbery surface laid overtop the concrete. Apparently some people didn't like the old surface because it was textured and if you fell down during a game, it shredded your skin pretty bad. That's why this new one is smoother. My concern is that the light grey parts will get badly scuffed up over time, or even graffitied.

No Frills is cheap, no doubt, but it can be a soul-sucking dingy shopping experience, especially when they don't open enough cash registers -- and what's with that one single 8-item express line? It's always lined up, don't they understand that people downtown who walk to grocery stores go more often and buy fewer items at a time?

I rarely use the "express line" because I learnt a long time ago that it's not the number of items but the time that it takes to process a transaction that is the biggest reason why a line moves slowly. Obviously, the processing time is the same whether someone has 1 item or 30 items. The express line usually has the most people in it and because of this, very often the other lines will move faster.

What I don't understand is why the cashiers don't encourage people to "tap" their credit and debit cards. This greatly speeds up the processing time and would help everyone!

I rarely use the "express line" because I learnt a long time ago that it's not the number of items but the time that it takes to process a transaction that is the biggest reason why a line moves slowly. Obviously, the processing time is the same whether someone has 1 item or 30 items. The express line usually has the most people in it and because of this, very often the other lines will move faster.

What I don't understand is why the cashiers don't encourage people to "tap" their credit and debit cards. This greatly speeds up the processing time and would help everyone!
Insert your chip, insert your chip. NO! I will tap damn it!

Back