Spurning downturn, Microsoft opens retail stores

bAuHaUs

Member Bio
Reaction score
Spurning downturn, Microsoft opens retail stores
Article Comments (33) JESSICA MINTZ

Associated Press

February 13, 2009 at 9:52 AM EST

SEATTLE — Microsoft has announced plans to open its own stores despite the economic downturn that has left many retailers struggling.

The company hired David Porter, a 25-year veteran of Wal-Mart as its corporate vice-president of retail stores.

Mr. Porter was head of worldwide product distribution at DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. since 2007.

Mr. Porter, who is set to start work on Tuesday, is charged with improving the PC-buying experience.

Enlarge Image
Internet Links
Follow us on Twitter: Get the latest updates from Globetechnology.com
The company said his first task will be to set the timing, locations and design of Microsoft-branded retail stores, which will sell computers installed with Microsoft software as well as other company products.

Microsoft has been working to revive the image of its ubiquitous Windows operating system.

It began with a $300-million (U.S.) advertising campaign that started last fall.

Vista, the most recent version of the software, was widely criticized for being slow, requiring new and pricier hardware, and not working with devices like printers and scanners.

Vista has also been the subject of a series of snarky television ads from Apple Inc.

At the same time it launched upbeat new TV ads last fall, some of which struck right back at Apple, Microsoft posted 144 of its own employees in electronics chain stores around the world to talk with shoppers about Windows.

The “Gurus†seemed to be Microsoft's answer to Apple's in-store “Genius Bar.â€

With its newly announced retail store intentions, the Redmond-based software maker is taking yet another page from Apple's play book.

Apple credits its stores, concentrated mostly in the U.S., for helping boost its profile and draw new customers.

But Microsoft's timing may be off.

The U.S. recession has socked the retail sector, and purveyors of electronics have been hit hard.

Circuit City Inc. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in November and said in January it would liquidate its 567 U.S. stores, cutting more than 34,000 jobs.

Best Buy Inc. laid off thousands of corporate employees in December and reported same-store sales – a key measure of retail health – sank 6.5 per cent.

Even Apple, whose iPods, iMacs and iPhones draw brand-conscious customers willing to spend more for design, was hit in the holiday quarter by the recession as average sales per store dropped to $7-million from $8.5-million in 2007.

Microsoft had no comment on the plight of Apple and the big-box stores, but said its own retail stores can help shoppers make smarter decisions about spending money on technology.

The company had set up a concept store at its headquarters with displays of Windows computers, Xbox 360 consoles and games and other items.

The company said it's meant to help stores like Best Buy see new merchandising ideas in action, and is not a prototype for stand-alone retail stores.

I think Microsoft is holding back development of computers. Just look at your pc today, you've got a box under your desk with removable disk drives, a monitor on your desk wired into the box, a mouse and keyboard wire (or wireless) connected to the box under your desk, running software that is stored in the box. If you were to go back in time ten years you would see very little evident change in that time with pcs. Sure, we've got a faster and more pervasive internet, but we had the internet in 1999.

What has Microsoft done in those ten years? Sweet FA IMO.

I think Microsoft is holding back development of computers. Just look at your pc today, you've got a box under your desk with removable disk drives, a monitor on your desk wired into the box, a mouse and keyboard wire (or wireless) connected to the box under your desk, running software that is stored in the box. If you were to go back in time ten years you would see very little evident change in that time with pcs. Sure, we've got a faster and more pervasive internet, but we had the internet in 1999.

What has Microsoft done in those ten years? Sweet FA IMO.

well, if they're still in business, people still want their products due to design or affordability. but it's also a matter of market share. sometimes you have to choose an operating system due to the programs you need to run.

But Microsoft's timing may be off.

The U.S. recession has socked the retail sector, and purveyors of electronics have been hit hard.

Nonsense. They can acquire property/leases in a buyer's market and will be rolling out as the economy recovers. Whether it works remains to be seen.

I'm not Microsoft fan, but I don't know if you can blame Windows for a lack of advance in computers. If anything, every greedier versions of Windows (in terms of system requirements) drives the replacement cycle which in turn funds a great deal of R&D. New consumer processors and graphics technology could not be bankrolled by high performance users alone.

I don't know if you can blame Windows for a lack of advance in computers. If anything, every greedier versions of Windows (in terms of system requirements) drives the replacement cycle which in turn funds a great deal of R&D. New consumer processors and graphics technology could not be bankrolled by high performance users alone.

i agree.

To a considerable degree, the microsoft platforms inherit a significant chunk of technological capability from higher-end systems. What the microsoft and PC platform offers to manufacturers is an economy of scale that makes it cheaper to produce.

I got onboard with Windows 95 the day it launched and it was a pretty miserable experience up until XP. Since then I've been very happy with Microsoft's efforts. My systems have been rock stable and able to give me everything I needed in terms of video encoding (the only stress I ever put them through) and my daily needs. I've recently switched over to a laptop (which is hooked up through HDMI to a giant LCD) and love vista.

Those that complain that it gets bogged down and are constantly reformatting/reinstalling are the same idiots with 10 different tool bars in their web browswer and 40 pieces of spyware loading up when they turn on their computer. If they actually learned how not to be an idiot when computing they'd find windows would be a great experience for the AVERAGE user. If Macs had the same kind of market share they'd be the target of spyware/adware/virus producers all the same. It's easy to knock the big guy on the block. The basic needs of computing haven't changed muched for the average user in 10 years, but Vista destroys the 9x days by a mile on a modern pc.

As long as Microsoft can compete on price with the big retailers (Best Buy, Future Shop..) and don't matchup too poorly against places like Tiger Direct and Canada Computers etc... they should do well. If they can have strong customer service (ie. not the morons on staff at Future Shop), a good return policy and reasonable (un-Apple like) pricing and I'm sure they'll have a hit on their hands.

Those that complain that it gets bogged down and are constantly reformatting/reinstalling are the same idiots with 10 different tool bars in their web browswer and 40 pieces of spyware loading up when they turn on their computer.

QFT. So funny but so true and so sad.

I think this is actually a stupid decision by Microsoft, they are spinning their tires and they see Apple doing it so they want to do it as well. Apple HAD to do it, and it has worked out for them - but they are not a "software" company, they are a consumer goods companies (computers, handheld devices etc.). Microsoft provides their software mostly to third party computers. I could see it if they became a hardware seller as well.

I think this is actually a stupid decision by Microsoft, they are spinning their tires and they see Apple doing it so they want to do it as well. Apple HAD to do it, and it has worked out for them - but they are not a "software" company, they are a consumer goods companies (computers, handheld devices etc.). Microsoft provides their software mostly to third party computers. I could see it if they became a hardware seller as well.

xbox? zune? they do sell hardware.

xbox? zune? they do sell hardware.

Could be a great opportunity to show off the 360 in a positive light to the older crowd. It's such an amazing system and the wii has grown the gaming market tremendously the Xbox brand could be the main draw into the store. It's amazing how the once mighty and powerful playstation brand now holds no more value than the strange sounding "xbox", Microsoft has shown they can do hardware right (but for some reason never get it right on their first attempt at just about anything).

I really hope it's just not another trendy boutique style store to end up in next to the grossly overpriced Apple and Sony stores of the world. A Best Buy style atmosphere in a small retail store would probably work best.

Could be a great opportunity to show off the 360 in a positive light to the older crowd. It's such an amazing system and the wii has grown the gaming market tremendously the Xbox brand could be the main draw into the store. It's amazing how the once mighty and powerful playstation brand now holds no more value than the strange sounding "xbox", Microsoft has shown they can do hardware right (but for some reason never get it right on their first attempt at just about anything).

I really hope it's just not another trendy boutique style store to end up in next to the grossly overpriced Apple and Sony stores of the world. A Best Buy style atmosphere in a small retail store would probably work best.

It is my understanding that the Zune's life may not be that long. The XBox is a good game console. Microsoft's store will be "overpriced" since companies that have their own sales channel and supply other companies get into a position where they will not undercut them - they cannot risk it - and it may contravene agreements they have with distributors.

Apple opened up the stores because they really had a limited distribution chain, and this was a reasonable solution. Microsoft has no shortage of retail chains that you can buy it for. All you are going to get is an expensive store that is going to sell stuff - but add very little to the bottom line. Microsoft has to get back to executing - especially in areas that generate most of their revenue -- Windows and Office.

Basically, it is not their retail presence that is hurting them - it is a failure to execute. How does this help them execute better?

They spend tons of money on R&D probably around 10 times that of Apple (or more)..... Something is not working..... They are just not creating the new products that generate the returns to pay for that R&D. Balmer should go, they need new blood.

Last edited:
For example, if we take Hannspree, LCD & monitor manufacturer from China, they went retail a few years back with beautiful showcase stores in Asia, Europe and now two in California (LA & SanFran)...they are merely generating a buzz & brand awareness with the consumer; so I see Microsoft doing the same in high profile locations. The attached photo is their multi-storey location in SanFran that looks more like a museum of modern art than a computer hardware store.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 176

Back