News   Sep 06, 2024
 591     2 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 1K     6 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 501     0 

Spurning downturn, Microsoft opens retail stores

Apple created something unique with their retail stores. Microsoft DOES have some hardware (In addition to the Xbox and Zune --Which I don't think will last long --, there's also the Surface, I think, which is like a coffee table-sized iPhone) but not enough to create something similar to an Apple store.

Apple's strength is its insane attention to hardware design. People like to go into Apple stores just to look at the cool computers. It's a huge brand booster. The Apple store in the Eaton's Centre is ALWAYS packed. A bunch of Dells or HPs running Windows really doesn't have the same sort of appeal.

Apple's strength is its insane attention to hardware design. People like to go into Apple stores just to look at the cool computers. It's a huge brand booster. The Apple store in the Eaton's Centre is ALWAYS packed. A bunch of Dells or HPs running Windows really doesn't have the same sort of appeal.

I'll tell you what isn't a brand booster: people browsing the internet for free in Apple stores and funkifying the place with B/O.

What sort of customer experience can Microsoft stores offer? One look at Zune and it should tell you exactly what's wrong with the company. I can't think of one thing they could do that would make it stand out from any other general tech store. Blindly following Apple without understanding one's weakeness is just going end up as a bad failure on their part.

AoD

Blindly following Apple without understanding one's weakeness is just going end up as a bad failure on their part.
All Microsoft has ever done is follow others. Windows is just the original MacOS but with Dos in the background. Explorer is just Netscape. MsWord is just Wordperfect. When has Microsoft actually invented anything? When has Microsoft made you go...wow, that is amazing...?

Constant crashes, hanging screens and the always wonderful blue screen of death made me go "wow, amazing."

But not the way you're suggesting.

I think Microsoft is holding back development of computers. Just look at your pc today, you've got a box under your desk with removable disk drives, a monitor on your desk wired into the box, a mouse and keyboard wire (or wireless) connected to the box under your desk, running software that is stored in the box. If you were to go back in time ten years you would see very little evident change in that time with pcs. Sure, we've got a faster and more pervasive internet, but we had the internet in 1999.

What has Microsoft done in those ten years? Sweet FA IMO.

Microsoft does not make any hardware, except keyboard and mouse.

Apple created something unique with their retail stores. Microsoft DOES have some hardware (In addition to the Xbox and Zune --Which I don't think will last long --, there's also the Surface, I think, which is like a coffee table-sized iPhone) but not enough to create something similar to an Apple store.

I disagree. I think it's an attention to marketing. They make some very good products, but they're not all well designed. People confuse things that look nice with things that are designed well.

I think Microsoft is holding back development of computers. Just look at your pc today, you've got a box under your desk with removable disk drives, a monitor on your desk wired into the box, a mouse and keyboard wire (or wireless) connected to the box under your desk, running software that is stored in the box. If you were to go back in time ten years you would see very little evident change in that time with pcs. Sure, we've got a faster and more pervasive internet, but we had the internet in 1999.

What has Microsoft done in those ten years? Sweet FA IMO.

I don't really agree. The basic form factor hasn't changed in years, whether you're looking at PCs or Apple computers. MS is a software developer, primarily. However they have done a few innovative things - media centre PCs are becoming an increasingly common component of home theatre systems. MS has been supporting touchscreen technology for years. Both Apple and MS are releasing touch related products (with control over the creation of both the hardware and software).

While the form factor hasn't changed much, what you can do with a computer has changed dramatically since the 90s.

All Microsoft has ever done is follow others. Windows is just the original MacOS but with Dos in the background. Explorer is just Netscape. MsWord is just Wordperfect. When has Microsoft actually invented anything? When has Microsoft made you go...wow, that is amazing...?

I have to admit, I was very impressed with Surfaces.

There's probably a waiting list just to get a job interview at the Apple Store. I think people are going to avoid applying to work at the Microsoft store. Who would want the job of facing the problems and anger of Windows users all day long?

There's probably a waiting list just to get a job interview at the Apple Store. I think people are going to avoid applying to work at the Microsoft store. Who would want the job of facing the problems and anger of Windows users all day long?

there's alot of sadists out there my friend. :D

Back