News   Jun 27, 2024
 378     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 432     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 445     0 

Spadina Streetcar Track Repairs (TTC, U/C)

Why would you post in a 12-year old thread with an obvious falsehood?
What's the falsehood in the original post? FWIW, the thread is remarking on the Spadina tracks being worked on in 2012-2014, like at Spadina station, shown below in 2012 during track work.

img_3247c.jpg

@hawc asks how long will this repair last. Well, ten years later we're renewing the tracks at Spadina station once more.

"The TTC will also use this time to conduct critical track renewal at Spadina Station"

Last edited:
My understanding (what I gathered from the community notices) is that the Spadina streetcar line works consist of two components:

1. OCS upgrades along the length of the line
2. Platform enhancements at Spadina Station.

I believe the ensuing disruptions could be minimized by undertaking the work in stages with the following mitigations:

1. King to Lakeshore - prioritize the OCS work from Adelaide Street to Queen's Quay while diverting the Spadina car via King / Bathurst / Queen's Quay, and providing a limited bus substitution between King Street and Queen's Quay.

2. Once complete, resume streetcar service between Union Station and the Adelaide / Charlotte street loop, while the balance of the work, north of Adelaide and in Spadina Station itself is being done, with substitution bus service along Spadina between Bloor and King Streets.

Trying to run a bus service in the traffic lanes between King Street and Queen's Quay for the entire duration of the project would be a recipe for disaster.

There was no vision about the new fleet when the Spadina Station was built to allow 2 LRV's or 3 ALRV's to service the platform at the same time. There was talk years ago of moving the platform west to allow 2 LRV's to service the platform, but went no where.

Lack of funds, poor design work and vision is the main reason the loop was built wrong on day one and here we are trying to fix that problem to a point.

Never understand the 2012-14 work as it wasn't done right and the opening of the line was delay because of the Union Subway Station

What's the falsehood in the original post? FWIW, the thread is remarking on the Spadina tracks being worked on in 2012-2014, like at Spadina station, shown below in 2012 during track work.

img_3247c.jpg

@hawc asks how long will this repair last. Well, ten years later we're renewing the tracks at Spadina station once more.

"The TTC will also use this time to conduct critical track renewal at Spadina Station"
The tracks in Spadina Station are being worked on because an adjacent condo development ahs opened up the possibility of expending the Spadina loop. There are MANY reasons to criticise TTC (see Steve Munro's blog today for the latest example) but your knee jerk reactions are really not helpful, or often accurate.

The tracks in Spadina Station are being worked on because an adjacent condo development ahs opened up the possibility of expending the Spadina loop. There are MANY reasons to criticise TTC (see Steve Munro's blog today for the latest example) but your knee jerk reactions are really not helpful, or often accurate.
Source on the development?

Does

Does anyone have the plans for the Spadina Station loop expansion? I don't think I have ever come across anything specific on what they have in mind.

AoD

I have seen it, but can't seem to find it at the moment.

But I can describe it.

The intent is to expand the platform to the east to allow for 2 full Flexities to be in the station at one time.

I have seen it, but can't seem to find it at the moment.

But I can describe it.

The intent is to expand the platform to the east to allow for 2 full Flexities to be in the station at one time.

Thanks - that expansion is sorely needed. The current arrangement is slightly insane for riders (ie. getting held up from disembarking for extended periods of time if there is another vehicle on the platform - and waiting)

No plans - but slightly more info on Steve Munro's site: https://stevemunro.ca/2023/09/18/streetcar-queues-at-spadina-station/

AoD

Last edited:
The TTC's own memos do not mention any work necessary to the track at Spadina Station. All the work will be done on the platform and to the structure surrounding it.

And yes, the overhead is being done down to College, and south of King.

So no, there is no trackwork being touched at all.

Dan

Back