News   Jun 27, 2024
 385     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 436     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 449     0 

Spadina Streetcar Track Repairs (TTC, U/C)

The new curbs along the ROW on the South part of Spadina are extremely high. Looks like no one will be able to mount the curbs anymore when exiting from the Gardiner without doing some serious damage to the underside of their vehicles. I doubt fire trucks will be mounting them either.

BTW... Does anyone know when streetcars will be running south of King again? Earlier information said they would return on December 20th, but all I can find today is May 2013. I hope its not May!

Can you live with May, as that what it looks like it will be?

A section north of front still has to be pour.

The bridge still has to be done as well the section at Lake Shore. Then you got to do the section across Lake Shore to connect to the loop that will get rebuilt in 2013 when the whole QQ intersection gets rebuilt.

The curbs are higher than before.

The one thing I noticed that the support for the centre poles are at least 40' deep bases on the rebar frame that went into the hole for them north of the Lake Shore.

It will also interesting to see if Dufferin St gets open on Dec 21 for southbound traffic. What I saw on Friday is going to be very tight to make that date and maybe a few days late depending on the weather. Water work still has to be done and no one on site working on it.

They were tearing up the north lane between King and Liberty that includes Liberty intersection. They were pouring the final section south of Liberty excepted where water work still has to be done.

All but a short section for the sidewalk have been rebuilt with some planting of flowers taking place around some of the trees.

The section between King and Queen for tracks is done, but not the overhead. The southbound lanes are a mess. Both lanes will be rebuilt in 2013.

I believe the Loop is to be done in 2013 along with the roads in that area, which are in poor shape.

The Queensway tracks are slow order at Kingsways, as they are replacing ties.

BTW... Does anyone know when streetcars will be running south of King again? Earlier information said they would return on December 20th, but all I can find today is May 2013. I hope its not May!
The latest CEO's report indicates that the return to service has been delayed from December 23, 2012 to April 1, 2013. No explanation why.

It will also interesting to see if Dufferin St gets open on Dec 21 for southbound traffic. What I saw on Friday is going to be very tight to make that date and maybe a few days late depending on the weather. Water work still has to be done and no one on site working on it.

February 1, 2013 now according to the CEO's report.

The latest CEO's report indicates that the return to service has been delayed from December 23, 2012 to April 1, 2013. No explanation why.

I read somewhere, I think Steve Munro, saying this was due to City Of Toronto work that was not finished in time and can't be done in the winter.

It would be good if they finished the section of Spadina south of Lake Shore, including the loop at Queen's Quay, before the reopening. The original plan was to finish to Lake Shore by December and then reopen the line for a few months before doing the loop and Lake Shore to Queen's Quay next year. Now the line cannot be opened south of King because the City work on the bridge was more complex than anticipated - the TTC tracks elsewhere south of King (to Lake Shore) are just about finished.

Spadina track repairs/replacements... they're back, just in time to ruin your summer!

King/Spadina intersection to be replaced over the course of a few weeks in August. I don't believe exact dates or detour routes have been confirmed. The possible diversion routes for the 504 are ugly. There are no usable curves at Bathurst and Queen for this diversion, and York Street will be closed at the same time for construction. They may have to do Shaw/Queen/Church for both directions and try and run shuttle buses on King. But, per Steve Munro, there will be a bus shortage at that time as all the spares will be needed for substitution on the 509, 510 (all of Spadina will be bused again since the loop at King will be unusable) and the 502/503 which are also under construction. The end is upon us!

Last edited:
King/Spadina intersection to be replaced over the course of a few weeks in August. I don't believe exact dates or detour routes have been confirmed. The possible diversion routes for the 504 are ugly.
I think you run 504 from Broadview along the 503 loop (Church/Wellington/York) run all day, and also run a 504 service from Dundas West to Wolsely Loop. And then run a relatively short shuttle bus from Bathurst to York (or just encourage people to change from the 504 to the 501 at Queen/Bathurst, and walk from King to Queen between Bathurst and York).

I think you run 504 from Broadview along the 503 loop (Church/Wellington/York) run all day, and also run a 504 service from Dundas West to Wolsely Loop. And then run a relatively short shuttle bus from Bathurst to York (or just encourage people to change from the 504 to the 501 at Queen/Bathurst, and walk from King to Queen between Bathurst and York).

That works if York from Wellington to King is open, but it is booked for track replacement at the same time, along with watermain upgrades. They have already welded the rails and piled them up there. I don't have much confidence in the TTC working this all out so that there is no overlap in construction times.

Last edited:
That works if York from Wellington to King is open, but it is booked for track replacement at the same time, along with watermain upgrades. They have already welded the rails and piled them up there. I don't have much confidence in the TTC working this all out so that there is no overlap in construction times.
Oops!

The shining display of incompetence with this ensemble of projects is incredible. Not only do departments in the city not talk to each other, but those within departments don't even talk to each other. I wouldn't be surprised if they "planned" a separate shut down to address the platform issues at Spadina station.

The shining display of incompetence with this ensemble of projects is incredible. Not only do departments in the city not talk to each other, but those within departments don't even talk to each other. I wouldn't be surprised if they "planned" a separate shut down to address the platform issues at Spadina station.

The TTC were also planning on doing the tracks on Richmond from York to Church in conjunction with a City project with watermains but the TTC part of this seems to have been postponed, presumably to 2014 (when Victoria is also scheduled for track replacement (its watermain having been done last year.) Once these two streets are done it will leave only Wellington and Adelaide in the downtown area with very old track.

The rebuilding of the Dundas intersection schedule this year has been move to 2014 at this time.

They have also have to do College intersection as well.

At some point, all the track will have to be replace.

Lack of buses is the cause of projects being put off for another day.

Lack of having everyone at the table at the same time is the biggest issue. Until that happen, silo departments will continue march to their own beat and hell with everyone.

Back